GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,957
0 members and 1,957 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2000, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Angry I must be heard

How anyone could have viewed the debates of the last three weeks and still view George bush as a viable candidate for the "highest office in the land" is a mystery for the ages. Issues aside-- George Dubya continually struggled to string together five words to make a complete and comprehensible sentence. On this weakness alone, Bush should lose this election.

The general consensus seems to be that Bush is a more approachable, people person--a "softer" kind of leader. But as Bush stared vacantly at Gore, unable to wrap his mind around the "fuzzy"--read exact numbers--math of Gore's responses, I was struck not by his approachability, but more by the Forest Gumpish quality of his demeanor. This combined with his Elmer Fuddesque manipulation of the English language--and, I wager-- whatever Spanish he speaks read less like charisma and more and more like a man in completely over his head.

The election for the "highest office in the land" should not be conducted like some high school popularity contest. The candidate who wins should not win because we as a nation feel that he is more approachable. We must vote for the candidate with a grasp of the issues and the experience to deal with said issues. Ladies and Gentlemen, Bush is not that man.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2000, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Yeah, I know. But I figured more people would read it here and that it would eventually be moved.
Old 10-19-2000, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Little32:
Yeah, I know. But I figured more people would read it here and that it would eventually be moved.
If you want to post on an issue that is not related to GREEK LIFE then please post it under Chit Chat. When the post IS moved I will be happy to comment further.

[This message has been edited by AXO Alum (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old 10-19-2000, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Just like a Bush person, dancing around the issue. Actually that was said all in good fun, I did not come here to fight. I never said I was for Gore. All I was saying is that I am not for Bush. Anyway perhaps John will move it for me. If not, I will just have to miss what I can only assume will be scintillating and thoughtful comments on your part.

[This message has been edited by Little32 (edited October 19, 2000).]
Old 10-19-2000, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My goodness! Why all the drama?

------------------
We often give our enemies the means for our own destruction.

Aesop c550 BC
Old 10-19-2000, 09:35 PM
Badilly

AXO - that was SO unnescessary. Geta grip. How about - just don't respond. Really. What exactly was the point?

Old 10-20-2000, 06:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXO Alum:
If you want to post on an issue that is not related to GREEK LIFE then please post it under Chit Chat.
Here was the point, Badilly. What was I thinking - I was really under the impression that this board was where people could post their opinions in the correct forum. I guess I could have posted as an unregistered though...

Old 10-20-2000, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Um, excuse me, listen to yourselves. You're arguing over a post. It's not that big of a deal. Sure, it probably should have been posted under chitchat, but it wasnt and it hasn't been moved yet, so if you have something to say, say it, and when and if it's moved, you can still follow the thread in chitchat. It's really not that big of a deal, don't get worked up over nothing.

I think both candidates suck, personally. If I were forced to vote for one of the two, yes, I'd go for Gore, but I'm leaning more and more to the side of not supporting either of them by just not voting. You hear the 'if you don't vote, you can't complain' speach, but I will complain anyway, because I don't feel there is a candidate out there WORTHY of my vote, and that is what I'll complain about. It sucks that we have to vote 'for the lessor of the two evils' we shouldn't have to do that. I hate politics, a reason I'd love to just move into the woods and become a hermit.
Old 10-20-2000, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Little32:
How anyone could have viewed the debates of the last three weeks and still view George bush as a viable candidate for the "highest office in the land" is a mystery for the ages.
I think the debates made it clear to me that Bush is the right choice for me. If nothing else - when Gore was attacking him for the "special rights" deal and Bush said "I'll vote for equal rights but not special rights" that really hit home. We are all *special* people and we all have needs - but having equal rights is the basis of our freedom.

As far as your "exact" numbers - when have you ever heard a politician stand up and give the "exact" figures. It doesn't happen. They all stretch the truth when it suits their needs.

Another issue - even though you said "issues aside", I prefer to argue the "issues" - is the big government campaign of Gore. I do not think Big Brother needs to have any more power than it does right now. I want to be able to send my child to whatever school best suits his or her needs. Not where Big Brother says I should send them.

What about Gore? He knew that money was dirty and he took it and then lied about it. I think we have had enough lies in the White House for the past 8 years!

Out of respect for other opinions, and because I don't want a flame war started, I won't touch the late-term abortion issue.

Yes - I will agree that politics have gotten way out of control. I hate the fact that my tax money goes to support their campaigns, welfare for people who can - but refuse - to work, $900 toilet seats for Congress, and a desk from underneath which our current president received a *special* present which he lied about and nobody seemed to care. But I also know that I enjoy my freedom. I enjoy the fact that I am allowed to worship who I want. I enjoy the fact that I am allowed to vote...or NOT to vote. I enjoy the fact that I'm allowed to state my opinions.

So I think that Bush is the right choice. People are going to disagree - obviously. Otherwise we wouldn't have people run for office - but the issues do matter.

As far as the personal thing...I hope I have lived up to your assumption.

Old 10-20-2000, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

"I think we have had enough lies in the White House for the past 8 years!"

There have been lies int eh White house for a heck of a lot longer than that, and we'll never get rid of them.

"I do agree that if you don't vote you shouldn't complain about how sucky your life has become since so and so got into office. Even if you don't vote for gore or Bush, I beleive that there are two other candidates, Nadar and Buchanan who are on the ballot."

Like I said, I'll complain that there isn't anyone worthy of my vote. Guess my vote is high priced, but shouldn't it be? And so far, nobody has even come close to offering me what I believe is right, so why should I just give it away?
Old 10-20-2000, 03:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgdzkm433:

"I do agree that if you don't vote you shouldn't complain about how sucky your life has become since so and so got into office. Even if you don't vote for gore or Bush, I beleive that there are two other candidates, Nadar and Buchanan who are on the ballot."
Just to clarify - that wasn't my quote. I said "I enjoy the fact that I am allowed to vote...or NOT to vote.
Old 10-20-2000, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I know. I was quoting Little32.
Old 10-21-2000, 12:11 AM
GreekChat Member

I am feeling you on the woods and the hermit thing. Unfortunately politics is often choosing the lesser of the two evils and I do agree that if you don't vote you shouldn't complain about how sucky your life has become since so and so got into office. Even if you don't vote for gore or Bush, I beleive that there are two other candidates, Nadar and Buchanan who are on the ballot. Perhaps one of their philosophies meshes (is that spelled right?) with yours. Again, I have to reiterate, our next president should be able to speak in complete sentences.

[This message has been edited by Little32 (edited October 20, 2000).]
Old 10-23-2000, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a site that gives a pretty good breakdown of candidates:

http://www.aren.org/candidates.html

Old 10-23-2000, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Awesome sight! Thanks for the info!

------------------
"Alpha Chi Omega - If you only had 2 wishes, what would your second one be?"