GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 705
0 members and 705 guests
No Members online

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-29-2015, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions about Recommendations?

I know it's super early, considering the pledge classes of 2015 have only just been selected and such, but I'm trying to be really prepared as I don't want to end up heartbroken if dropped by each sorority. I don't think my grades, service, activities, or appearance are a huge concern so much that any of them would get me booted from a sorority, but I'm a little confounded by some things about recommendations and I really think it would be cool to have that edge in recruitment.

Just as a disclaimer, I'm really sorry as I'm sure some of these questions have been asked, but I've been unable to find a lot of them when searching through the threads thus far!

If saying the school name is a bad move, can someone please let me know? But as of right now, I hope to go to UF, and although I haven't been accepted, I'm hoping I will be. It isn't definite, but my statistics look to be enough based on what I know.

1st! I know this is an SEC school, so I was thinking a couple recommendations, but how many would you say is the right amount? 1, to minimize the reading the sorority has to do? Or as many as possible for the most hypothetical "points"? Or the happy medium, with 2?

2nd thing. I don't really understand the tiers crap, so that isn't factoring into anything. My aunt was very connected in sorority ABC back when she went to the same university I hope to go to, and from what I've read, it seems really cool and down-to-eath but the reviews are VERRRRRRRRY mixed so I honestly have no idea and don't expect to until actual recruitment. A cousin of mine also was in sorority DEF at the same school, however these are the only two confirmed recommendations that I can think of from people I know directly.
Anyways, I read in another thread about "Letters of Support", which are somehow different from letters of recommendations. Would it be better for those who know me personally to write these letters of support, since they know me well enough to give a strong profile of me all around? Or should I just have them write typical recommendations?

3rd thing. Is it too early for me to be worrying about this? (I mean, probably, it's like September... :') )

3.5th thing. If it isn't too early, what can I do now? I don't think it's even possible to send recommendations yet, but should I start talking to people now? Or wait a little bit?

4th thing. So I've heard you need a headshot, a full body shot, and a resume. Should the headshot and other photo be done professionally? Because I don't exactly have any of those, but I assume an iPhone-quality picture taken by a friend might be frowned upon. For the resume, what do I even put on that? Is it just like the college application resumes?

5th(and final!) thing. How do you approach women at the panhellenic conferences that I've heard are good for getting recs?

Thankyou so much! Also, I apologize if any of this was asked before!