GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Social
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,470
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, KetoXP
» Online Users: 2,250
2 members and 2,248 guests
indygphib

Old 05-26-2006, 10:09 AM
GreekChat Member

School Daze question.

On the Wikipedia page for Spike Lee's school daze, the Gamma Rays are called as a sorority. To me it fits more into the category of Sweetheart organization like Sigma Doves, Kappa Diamonds or Omega Pearls.

Opinions?
Old 05-26-2006, 10:11 AM

I agree with you, naraht. Then again it's wikipedia and they're not always the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
I agree with you, naraht. Then again it's wikipedia and they're not always the brightest bulbs in the chandelier.
True. But I do try to help them over there. (I'm primary editor right now for both the Alpha Phi Omega page and the Fraternities and Sororities in the Phillipines page.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:57 PM
GreekChat Member

As someone who is an avid Spike Lee fan- and viewer of School Daze on numerous occassions; I would have to say that yes they are a sweetheart organization. They made reference to the fact in the movie when they said they would have to help the brothers as they were crossing over with their initiation.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I saw them as an aux org as well.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Well a lot of organizations today are considered sororities and fraternities that historically wouldnt be viewed as such. For example, I mostly only view IFC and NPC groups as actual fraternities and sororities. Let people think as they will i suppose.
Old 06-29-2006, 12:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Well a lot of organizations today are considered sororities and fraternities that historically wouldnt be viewed as such. For example, I mostly only view IFC and NPC groups as actual fraternities and sororities. Let people think as they will i suppose.
So what about people whose organizations are apart of the NPHC, MCGC or any other council thats out there.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think that is fair because there are a lot of people in NPHC/MGLO don't view IFC and NPC groups as real sororities and fraternities.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Well see yeah it probably goes both ways. Its not that I really have made a conscious decision to disregard locals or NPHC or the other abbreviation, which I assumes meant multi-cultural something... but rather that I just haven't seen much to really place them on the same level as NPC and IFC groups. I'm sure its different everywhere, but I just haven't come in too much contact with them. I know some NPHC groups have strong tradition, which is really what is required for me to consider the group "real" i guess, but basically the closest to that where I went to school would be like a third annual stepshow or something. I imagine at schools where NPHC groups are more established, they have much stronger traditions. Regarding the multi-cultural groups, I do have an issue with these. Not to say that they couldn't fit my description of a "real" greek org, but moreso that the ones I've seen are fairly new and don't really have any legacy to speak of. They generally take anyone who walks in the door, and having a incredibly diverse group isn't what I think of when I think about greek orgs. But like I said, its different everywhere, and my opinions can only be based on what i've been exposed to.
Old 06-30-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ProPhetic1 Send a message via Yahoo to ProPhetic1
I can agree with that, but in my dealings with fraternities & sororities in the IFC or NPC I see them doing alot of partying. They do more donations as oppose to actual community service where the members of the other 2 councils excell @.
Old 07-01-2006, 12:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, writing checks has its place as well. Now, I agree about the multicultural being very service oriented, but hadnt really seen that among the NPHC. I'm sure they do their share, but I just didn't notice them doing more than the white groups. But even if this is very true, I don't really think of them as "greek." While community service is obviously of the highest value, it is not a prereq for being a "real" greek org in my opinion. When I think greek, I think of groups where the focus is almost entirely on forming the bonds between members, in addition to helping bring those members into adulthood. I'm obviously not saying they're better that more service oriented groups, but I consider service groups to be just that, rather than greek organizations.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

LMAO @ people who don't do any kind of research.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shortfuse Send a message via Yahoo to Shortfuse
Teh Stupid.......it burns!

Quote:
Well see yeah it probably goes both ways. Its not that I really have made a conscious decision to disregard locals or NPHC or the other abbreviation, which I assumes meant multi-cultural something... but rather that I just haven't seen much to really place them on the same level as NPC and IFC groups. I'm sure its different everywhere, but I just haven't come in too much contact with them. I know some NPHC groups have strong tradition, which is really what is required for me to consider the group "real" i guess, but basically the closest to that where I went to school would be like a third annual stepshow or something. I imagine at schools where NPHC groups are more established, they have much stronger traditions. Regarding the multi-cultural groups, I do have an issue with these. Not to say that they couldn't fit my description of a "real" greek org, but moreso that the ones I've seen are fairly new and don't really have any legacy to speak of. They generally take anyone who walks in the door, and having a incredibly diverse group isn't what I think of when I think about greek orgs. But like I said, its different everywhere, and my opinions can only be based on what i've been exposed to.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

You can stop reading any time you wish. I sincerely apologize if I don't give credibility to every house that claims "We're a fraternity!" But then, I haven't had Being Non-Offensive 1100 yet, so I'm still thinking for myself here. Hopefully one day I'll have the ability to simply regurgitate more inclusive opinions that are sure not to offend or hold any legitimacy, but until then, you'll just have to fight through the "stupidity" of my posts.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Shortfuse Send a message via Yahoo to Shortfuse
Stop with the ignorance.

What's offensive is that the fact you're willing to say this AND admit that you haven't seen any (i.e. not come in contact with) of the other orgs.

Heck if you seen them and feel that way then that's your opinion and although folks would feel (know) that you're wrong you still have the right to form an opinion. Right now you're saying that you don't "considered" them on your orgs level because you haven't seen much.

I haven't heard of yoru org until today but I wouldn't go as far as to say what you're saying.

So tell me is it true? Is ignorance really as blissful as they say?