GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086

Old 12-04-2011, 08:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
I'd be angry. One of the reasons I chose our venue is that they throw in rooms for the bride and groom + the parents. I think you are giving your venue enough revenue that day.
Yeah, our hotel offers that as well, which is pretty nice.

I contacted the hotel about the prices and they wrote back and said they had "made a mistake"
Old 12-04-2011, 08:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Yeah, our hotel offers that as well, which is pretty nice.

I contacted the hotel about the prices and they wrote back and said they had "made a mistake"
Oh, thank goodness! I hope they "remember" to upgrade you to an awesome suite to counteract that mistake. Which hotel are you getting married at (if you don't mind me asking)?

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
No, no reception hall/hotel. You do not offer me a "discounted" rate for my room block that is actually $9 more than the costs I'm seeing when I try to book a room for that date on my own. Jerks.
You might want to ask more questions. Sometimes that "special" rate includes some special things for the bride and groom like champaign or room service breakfast, etc.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Found this graphic via Pinterest and thought it was interesting

The high cost of being a bridesmaid
Old 12-04-2011, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Oh, thank goodness! I hope they "remember" to upgrade you to an awesome suite to counteract that mistake. Which hotel are you getting married at (if you don't mind me asking)?
PMing you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
You might want to ask more questions. Sometimes that "special" rate includes some special things for the bride and groom like champaign or room service breakfast, etc.
Oops, sorry of it was confusing, I meant the room block for the guest. I don't think they're all getting champagne

I did ask if something was included for the guests though, (i.e. a breakfast or something) because I assumed thats why the price might be higher. Nope, she just gave me the "wrong" price.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This past weekend I went to two different venues with the fiance and my maternal grandparents (who were down from Michigan for the weekend) and I think I found my venue! Yay
Old 12-05-2011, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliebelle View Post
Found this graphic via Pinterest and thought it was interesting

The high cost of being a bridesmaid
$1,695 seems like a bargain! Most of my weddings have been over that amount--and I haven't even been a bridesmaid yet!
Old 12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Booked our venue today! I'm so excited.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 12-10-2011, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ YAY!

Met with three florists today. My head is spinning with flowers! Overall, we got some really awesome ideas. Of all different types of vendors we've met with, this is the first time that there is absolutely no front runner. They were all FANTASTIC! Florist #1 has been around for a long time and has a very good reputation. My mom also had her flowers done there. Florist #2 was a very pleasant surprise. The woman I spoke with was probably the nicest of the bunch (although they were all nice) and probably the most knowledgeable as well. Florist #3 was great because she seemed like she was the most mindful of how expensive wedding flowers were, and really offered affordable options that didn't look cheap. We've gotten lots of flowers from her in the past (corsages and boutonnieres for school dances, funeral flowers, etc.)

I just don't know!!!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

My random question: The venue that the fiance and I really like offers ceremony, reception, catering and floral all in one. Does that make it ok for it to cost 3/4 of my budget?
Old 12-10-2011, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomplemousse12 View Post
My random question: The venue that the fiance and I really like offers ceremony, reception, catering and floral all in one. Does that make it ok for it to cost 3/4 of my budget?
Can you cover the rest of your expenses with the other 1/4th? If so, then yes.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Consider what Dee said.

Also:

Are there other wedding budget items that are also important to you?

Of those items, is the remaining 1/4 going to cover it?

Are you cool with scaling down on things that you maybe would have potentially spent more money on in order to get this venue.

Have you actually tasted the catering? Would you actually want it? What food is included in this all in one pricing they're giving you. Ex: Sometimes, said "all in one" pricing only = beer and wine. And you end up paying more to get what you actually want (liquor.) Or all in one = chicken and you want to add an extra meat. That = more money.

Figure out exactly what is covered in terms of your included florals. And to what degree florals matter to you. Sometimes it sounds really great until you ACTUALLY SEE what's included in the "all in one price" and it looks like you arranged it yourself. Sometimes the all-inclusive pricing allows you to have an actual consult with the florist. Sometimes, it's "these are the centerpiece options, choose one."

I've seen some all-inclusive events done by hotels that were great. I've also seen some all-inclusives done that were not so much.

It's all about doing the research on what you're actually getting.

Lakers Nation.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does that include alcohol (if you are having it) and fees (such as cake-cutting, bartender fees, corkage fees, linens, etc.)? If so and you love it, I would say go for it. Make sure to go online and read reviews of their catering and floral too.

For visual help too:

You would have ~58% of your budget covered in that 75%, or 60% if you consider you won't need fancy transportation.

Finally, you can negotiate with some vendors. We loved this venue in downtown Milwaukee but it was out of our price range. I was honest with the venue and told them the truth. I also told them what we hoped to keep our reception costs at. By eliminating the soup (which I didn't care about and also won't miss at a June wedding), we were able to negotiate a price within our budget.

You don't want to be rude and ask them to drop $20,000 off the cost, but inquiring never hurts, especially if you frame it as "We were hoping to spend this much on the reception. Is there anything you can do to bring us closer to our budgeted amount?"

LET'S GO BIG RED!

Last edited by AOEforme; 12-11-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Does that include alcohol (if you are having it) and fees (such as cake-cutting, bartender fees, corkage fees, linens, etc.)? If so and you love it, I would say go for it. Make sure to go online and read reviews of their catering and floral too.

For visual help too:

You would have ~58% of your budget covered in that 75%, or 60% if you consider you won't need fancy transportation.

Finally, you can negotiate with some vendors. We loved this venue in downtown Milwaukee but it was out of our price range. I was honest with the venue and told them the truth. I also told them what we hoped to keep our reception costs at. By eliminating the soup (which I didn't care about and also won't miss at a June wedding), we were able to negotiate a price within our budget.

You don't want to be rude and ask them to drop $20,000 off the cost, but inquiring never hurts, especially if you frame it as "We were hoping to spend this much on the reception. Is there anything you can do to bring us closer to our budgeted amount?"
The price they quoted me includes ceremony site (including chairs, mistress of ceremonies, on site rehearsal, set up and clean up), reception venue (includes use of facility, restrooms, guest parking, registration, gift, cake, and dj tables with linens, set up and clean up, event coordinator, dining tables with linens and chairs, and pre bridal portraits with the photographer), catering, beverages, bartenders, beer and wine. they don't charge a cake cutting fee. they have a florist on site, and id have to find a bakery for the cake itself.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
The price they quoted me includes ceremony site (including chairs, mistress of ceremonies, on site rehearsal, set up and clean up), reception venue (includes use of facility, restrooms, guest parking, registration, gift, cake, and dj tables with linens, set up and clean up, event coordinator, dining tables with linens and chairs, and pre bridal portraits with the photographer), catering, beverages, bartenders, beer and wine. they don't charge a cake cutting fee. they have a florist on site, and id have to find a bakery for the cake itself.
Reminds me of the place I worked with this summer. The catering group I worked for was in partnership with them, in that all of this conference center's business was solely catered by us. Sounds like a lot is included but I would say definitely make sure you would be happy with their florist & catering, etc before signing any paperwork.