GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 684
0 members and 684 guests
No Members online

Old 10-15-2006, 07:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to curlyque5000
help with attendance!!!

My sorority is having a really hard time getting girls to show up to philanthropy and just regular sisterhood events because of laziness. Do you have any ideas of how to get girls to want to show up. I was thinking of some kind of points system but I really need some better ideas.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Distribute monthly calendars and give reminders each week at chapter. Assess a penalty for missing mandatory events. If you can't fine your members, you can take away privileges like first dibs at choosing rooms in the chapter house or social probation. Talk to your advisers and regional directors for more ideas.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I've found that positive reinforcement helps out tremendously with attendance.

My last active year, we had what we called "Pi Points" (I think that is what it was called?) and every woman in our chapter had a designated row with her name in it.

For every meeting (each one was dated), every Philanthropy event, social and other sisterhood event, each sister earned "points". We even had points for completing designated study hours.

There was a cut off day for all of the points to be calculated and you had to have a certain number of points to attend formal at the end of the year.

Granted, if you are in a NPC sorority, I believe meetings are mandatory, so if meetings were missed, in addition to missing out on the points, you were assigned the penalty that was designated in the chapter bylaws or wherever your sorority keeps those.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via MSN to PhiMuGoddess Send a message via Yahoo to PhiMuGoddess
We had the same problem last semester. We implemented door prizes, a point system, etc. We also handed out calendars and assessed small responsibilities to various people so they'd have a piece in the success of the event.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the key is to look at WHY they don't want to attend. Are the activities fun and inviting? Did they vote to agree on doing those activities or did someone just plan it and say "show up"? Is sisterhood lacking? Is the chapter over programming?
Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ohdollface
I second the calender. I am in different organizations, so when i recieve the calender with the chapter minutes it makes my life a lot easier to plan things.

My chapter also fines girls who don't give an excuse notices but it's mostly for really important events like ritual...

Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lbk_kpd
Within my organization, we consider all events mandatory, whether they're fundraising, philanthropy, academic, or social. Our policy is that any time a sister cannot attend an event or is going to be late/need to leave early, she must notify either the chair running the event or the president no less than 24 hours in advance. After that point (unless there's some kind of unforeseen emergency, of course), we give out demerits, which come with a small fine; if the fines are not paid in a timely manner, the sister may be put on probation. This can also happen if the number of absences becomes significant enough, even if she is paying the fines.
Unfortunately, sometimes, you're just not going to be able to entice someone to attend. It's a shame, and you sort of wonder why someone would join a GLO if they don't have the time or desire to commit to it, but it happens. With our system, it basically puts the responsibility on the sisters themselves; they know the rules, and if they choose to break them, that's their perogative. Hope some of this helped- I know it's frustrating, but keep your chin up!
Old 10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

While all want to entice, apple on a stick, maybe it is time to use the stick!

If they cannot come to meetings or charity events, then they do not need to come to the partys.

Set a number of mandatory events that can be missed or after that, then no social functions.

Let them sit at home on party nights too. If that doesnt work, then why are they even there?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-17-2006, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Apple on a stick?

You're kidding right?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
When I was an undergraduate member, my chapter had a point system. We received points similar to what Texax*Prinecess mentioned below, so many points for each event. In order to be able to attend large social functions, like big date parties and formals we had to have 80% of the total points. If you didn't, you weren't able to go.

I think that adpiucf's suggestion of supplying members with a calendar on a monthly basis is an excellent idea. Another similar option might be, if your chapter has a group listserve, maybe you could send out an email of upcoming events on the first of the month.

I think that AGDee raises some excellent questions. IMO, overprogramming is a big problem in society today. I think too many people have too much to do. The chapter that I belonged to during college was smaller than many of the other chapters on my campus at the time, however, we had the inherent feeling that we had to keep up with the Joneses. I think that one of the best ways to deal with this is to try and combine things together if possible. We had a chapter rule that if an officer did not announce something more than two weeks prior to the date, she could not make the event mandatory. If she wanted to make it mandatory it had to be put to a chapter vote. I think this helped cut down on the last minute mandatory events.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GVSU_SigPi_Gea
on the whole "point system"...my chapter is looking to start one of these. I am part of the committee that is to establish (and by establish i mean look over what our e-board created and nod my head to em if its ok) the point system...and it sucks. does anyone have an electric copy of their point system? id really like to see what other chapters do, as we also have a HUGE problem with attendance

feel free to PM me with the list.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Make sure your sorority chapter, events, and meetings don't suck. If that's the case, all the point systems, reminders, calendars, and door prizes in the world won't help. Bringing food or making things mandatory may increase attendance, but that's still treating the symptoms instead of the underlying problems. This goes for all types of organizations.

I've also noticed that attendance and lack of attendance is contagious. Sometimes people only go somewhere because their friends are going, even if they are not interested in the main event. Then there's times when someone may have an interest in the event in itself, but will not go because none of their friends are going. I guess you need to get the more influential or popular people interested first, then their friends will follow.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?

Last edited by Dionysus; 10-18-2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyque5000 View Post
My sorority is having a really hard time getting girls to show up to philanthropy and just regular sisterhood events because of laziness. Do you have any ideas of how to get girls to want to show up. I was thinking of some kind of points system but I really need some better ideas.

Thanks!
Do you not have fines for missing things? I know a ton of chapters that do that.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25 View Post
Do you not have fines for missing things? I know a ton of chapters that do that.
Some organizations cannot fine. We cannot fine or assess members for anything. At all. Ever.

I like the idea of a points system. The chapter I advise has a very difficult time getting women to attend mandatory events. Less than half the chapter was at initiation last weekend, yet almost the entire chapter will be at their semi formal this weekend. Go figure.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

In addition to a points system that has already been mentioned, if people are falling into the "I'm not going because my friend isn't going" mode, then maybe you could consider additional "buddies" during the year. For example, if you notice that Seniors are starting to slack off, maybe have "secret Senior sis's" or something. Where more active members are paired with those who are slacking and encourage them to come to the manditory events. If your chapter has families, maybe one family could be paired with another. Then they could sit together during meetings (rather than everyone sitting with thier clique).
I know when you are a new member attendance isn't even an issue- but then you have a big (or some equivalent) and maybe a rose sis/panda pal/heart sis (you get the point). Maybe try to bring back that enthusiasm to the actives.

Feel free to trash my ideas!