GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,423
0 members and 1,423 guests
No Members online

Old 10-19-2012, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Old ANCHORA Quotes, etc.

A lot of old ANCHORAs are on google books these days. I'm loving spending time reading them and am consistently amazed at the wisdom and intelligence of our sisters from long ago. I think modern day Delta Gammas are amazing, but the vision of our sisters of the past is truly inspiring. Anyway, I started transcribing some favorite quotes into a word doc and decided this might be a better place for it so others could enjoy too.

From the November 1902 ANCHORA:

"Fraternities, like electricity, hold many possibilities. If properly harnessed and carefully handled they can accomplish wonders for good. But in the hands of wicked or careless men they become veritable powers of destruction."

The Delta Gamma who gives a ready, helpful friendship to her own sisters, but whose heart and mind are big enough to have warm friends among the other Greeks and in the non-fraternity world most of all, is the Delta Gamma who is going to do much to brighten our fame..."

From the January 1903 ANCHORA - in the same file as the November issue, just scroll down until you find it:

A Toast to Delta Gamma, to tune of the Stein Song.

Here's a toast to Delta Gamma,
Her to whom we love to sing;
She's the aim of all our striving:
Let us sing it with a ring.

Chorus-
For its always fair weather
When the "D.G's." get together,
With our songs and our jokes
And our hearts so full of cheer.

There is work to do in plenty,
For we've rivals in the field;
But we'll win the best of all girls
With those letters on our shield. - chorus.

In the bons Tau Delta Eta
We've made friendships tried and true;
So to work for Delta Gamma
Let us pledge ourselves anew. - chorus.
- Edith A Barnard, Xi (Pledge class of 1902)

From the July 1903 ANCHORA - in the same file as the November issue, just scroll down until you find it:

"We Delta Gammas are proud of our motto, 'A union of souls in an anchor in storms,' and we feel in our fraternity, that with our anchor which holds us strong and firm, and with the goldne chain of friendship by which we are united, drifting is impossible and strength and faithfulness inevitable. But we must remember that a chain is no stronger than its weakest link, and if, in our fraternal circle, one golden link of friendship shall be broken, the whole chain is thereby weakened. And so it is that each of us must give trust, sincerity, affection, sympathy, the best that is within us, if we would keep this chain strong and intact, fro frienship, as has been fittingly said, 'is the most unselfish thing in the world. It gives all, and demands nothing, but with the giving comes the blessing, infinitely sweeter because unsought.'"

LOVE this DG Alumnae toast:

"Then 'ere's to you dear Alumnae girls, you're the best DG's we know
You love us and you scold us but then you help us so,
'Twas all your work that made DG the best frat of the lot
And so we'll have a toast to you, the best DGs we've got."

I'm going to keep reading and add to this thread as I find things I feel are worth sharing. Feel free to add to it as you like!

Last edited by WhiteDaisy128; 10-19-2012 at 06:46 PM. Reason: layout
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Just found the March 1885 ANCHORA! Wow!

From it:

Regarding starting new chapters (neat to me since I was a founding sister of my chapter)-
"A young fraternity, perhaps more than others, needs men or women of metal, of energy, of perseverance. For there is work to do. But no less does it need men or women of honor, integrity, purity and unselfishness. Each member of a chapter helps establish a standard of right or wrong for every other member."

A song to the tune of "Juanita" (which I found here)
"Like music stealing,
Sweetly falling on the ear,
Joyously pealing -
Delta Gamma, dear
Sweetest name that ever
Greets our ears, dear sisters true,
We'll forget thee never -
Our bonze, pink and blue.

Chorus - Delta, Delta Gamma
We will ever sing of thee,
Delta, Delta Gamma,
Loved fraternity.

They bond's the sweetest
Binding close, while yet we're free,
Time flies the fleetest
To sweet melody.
So we'll raise our voices
In sweet union, ringing clear,
For each heart rejoices
In our band so dear.

Chorus

Fair Delta Gamma,
Our loved queen, we bow to thee;
And crowned with honor,
May thy brow o'er be.
And we'll all, thy children,
Join in giving homage due,
A fiar structure building
For the good and true.

Chorus.
- Mrs. T.P. Twiggs
Old 10-19-2012, 11:29 AM
GreekChat Member

From January 1885:

There is a section called "Among the Hellenes," which shares other Greek news. This amused me:

"Kappa Alpha is bold in claiming the handsomest man in the south."

Later in a member news-type sections, it states:
"Lucy Clark rejoices in being the possessor of a Delta Gamma pin handsomely set with garnets and pearls." -- I'd love to see it!
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
GreekChat Member

January 1915 ANCHORA:

Interesting tidbit about the three "Delta" chapters:
"Hanover College...installed Delta chapter in the fall of 1881...this was the second time that Delta was chosen for a name of a chapter in Delta Gamma, but fate seemed to decree it an unlucky choice for later a third chapter dared to choose this Greek letter and each in turn passed out of existance. The unlucky trident of Delta has become a legend in Delta Gamma and no new chapter braves the superstition."

"Delta" chapters were:
Delta (I) - Trinity College, TX (1880-1881)
Delta (II) - Hanover College, IN (1881-1887)
Delta (III) - University of Southern California at Los Angeles (1887-1897)

This ANCHORA has a GREAT history published within it -- most interesting to me was the "investigation" of the Psi Chapter (which was our first chapter at the Lewis School for Girls - though the school's name had been changed by the time the chapter's charter was withdrawn.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:08 PM

I've found quite a few sorority magazines on Google Books (or whatever it's being called these days. Such fun to read! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by AOIIalum; 10-19-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
This ANCHORA has a GREAT history published within it -- most interesting to me was the "investigation" of the Psi Chapter (which was our first chapter at the Lewis School for Girls - though the school's name had been changed by the time the chapter's charter was withdrawn.
I believe the Lewis School for Girls was a private school. At that time, the University of Mississippi did not admit women (it finally did so in 1882). To get an education above high school level, women had to attend a private school. (Although I always had the impression that the Lewis School was closer to a high school than a college).
I found nothing about the history of the school other than the fact that DG was founded there.
Why was our first chapter called Psi instead of Alpha?

Old 11-27-2012, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting those, WhiteDaisy! I've been going through the old Anchoras for a presentation I'm giving to an alumnae group, and I also stumbled on the 1915 issue. It has such a comprehensive fraternity history! The Anchora from January 1945 also has some interesting history, including a recap of "Delta Gamma War Work" during WWI and WWII, as well as Delta Gammas in the armed forces.

I was initiated into Alpha Psi, but while I was there we were never told whether the meaning of "Psi" was known or not. Interestingly enough, Chi Omega's founding chapter (University of Arkansas, 1895) is also "Psi." It's still in existence and using that chapter letter.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:59 AM
GreekChat Member

OleMissAnchor, I have a feeling I just met you at the Eta Kappa Initiation! Sorry I had to leave so quickly to get to our (early) Thanksgiving dinner...small world, huh? Welcome to GC!
Old 11-27-2012, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

WhiteDaisy, I think you did. I thought it might be you, but I was afraid to break the veil of secrecy :O.

I've lurked for a loooong time, but just started posting. Thanks for the welcome!