GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,207
0 members and 1,207 guests
No Members online

Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
My poor husband danced with all of my great aunts. It was kind of sweet though.
And here I was a chump for dancing with all my elderly relatives, for free, because they were my guests.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
This is a tangent but Live-in and I are attending his best friend's wedding in two weeks and they put on the invite "write on the response card your guilty pleasure song" (mine was "Call me Maybe"), and that's now their playlist for the event! I thought it was fun. Now, getting a DJ to play all those songs has proven pretty tricky - they're on their second, because the first refused, saying "I don't let people do my job for me, you might as well set up an iTunes playlist" - which was weird because typically the DJ is the MC of the event.
We went to a wedding recently where they opted for an iTunes playlist instead of a DJ because (a) it was a lot cheaper, and (b) DJs have a habit of making it about themselves instead of the music. They asked a family member to introduce the wedding party and make the few other announcements that were needed. Otherwise it was just an iPod. No one missed the DJ.

As for the topic of the thread—tacky beyond words.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
We went to a wedding recently where they opted for an iTunes playlist instead of a DJ because (a) it was a lot cheaper, and (b) DJs have a habit of making it about themselves instead of the music. They asked a family member to introduce the wedding party and make the few other announcements that were needed. Otherwise it was just an iPod. No one missed the DJ.

As for the topic of the thread—tacky beyond words.
I really hope that they didn't have one with all those stupid props, but I think that's not really the bride and groom's thing.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I really hope that they didn't have one with all those stupid props, but I think that's not really the bride and groom's thing.
Props?
Old 09-03-2013, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
And then there are the people who buy picnic baskets... And then you just hope you can figure out what store it's from.
We received 3 picnic baskets for wedding gifts. Hopefully 3 picnickers who visited Goodwill felt they were getting a good deal. I tried keeping one for a while, to carry potluck items in, but it just didn't work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
My opinion on this stuff is highly documented on GC. Do y'all remember my tantrum about the treadmill?
The same money tree shower couple had some items on their registry that raised my eyebrows...a lot of sporting equipment and alcohol-related items (decanters, shot glasses, etc.).
Old 09-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
My opinion on this stuff is highly documented on GC. Do y'all remember my tantrum about the treadmill?
No, but now I feel the need to find it.

We're at that age where friends of our older boys are starting to get engaged. Of course I still think they're ALL too young, but when more and more are college and grad school graduates I guess maybe they aren't. I just hope we never see a honeymoon cash grab from any of them, because Momma AOIIAlum will give them an earful.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
I'm on board with tacky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I don't see why a HM registry is any tackier than a standard gift registry. Either one is pretty much saying "we picked stuff out for you to buy us."
I think the difference in this scenario only is the fact that the bride is repeatedly posting about it, asking for donations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri Ivy View Post
One of my APhi sisters is getting married next month and was just asking opinions about the dollar dance today. While I don't really like the tradition, the older generations around here pretty much expect it to happen. One friend had a suggestion of donating the money from the dollar dance to a charity.

Also, in my neck of the woods, the groom dances too. My poor husband danced with all of my great aunts. It was kind of sweet though.
Agreed.

The next morning after my wedding I found $200 in a bank envelope in my bag. After texting around I had come to find out it was from my uncle--it was our wedding gift from him and he was going to give it to me during the dollar dance. Little did he know I was anti dollar dance so he just gave it to my mom to put in my bag. I made a mental note to acknowledge it in my thank you note.

He passed away unexpectedly a month later. The last time I saw him was my wedding. I know there's no way I could have known, but I still feel so guilty that I didn't have that dance with him. I barely talked to him with all the other busyness of the day.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOIIalum View Post
No, but now I feel the need to find it.

We're at that age where friends of our older boys are starting to get engaged. Of course I still think they're ALL too young, but when more and more are college and grad school graduates I guess maybe they aren't. I just hope we never see a honeymoon cash grab from any of them, because Momma AOIIAlum will give them an earful.
I found it and bumped it on the Random Wedding Thread. It was an espresso maker and a treadmill, along with hiking clothes for their Macchu Picchu honeymoon.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll never forget my cousin's Amazon registry and his wife (who barely anyone in the family had met) registering for a stripper pole for strip-aerobics. I sent them a vacuum HOSE attachment.

Some things should be left off the registry.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM
GreekChat Member

My mom got married over the summer and was determined to have a wedding under 2 grand. We got the bands from a pawn shop, decor from Ebay, did the ceremony on the courthouse steps and walked to a local restaurant for dinner. Everyone had a great time and only about $2500 was spent. She's in her forties so she definitely doesn't need any of the things on a registry so we just didn't make one. Everyone brought cash and she pretty much made back what she spent. They didn't even go on a honeymoon! But they also didn't go into debt.

I just think it's tacky when it's "expected," per say, especially with my generation of social media.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
I'll never forget my cousin's Ammazon registry and his wife (who barely anyone in the family had met) registering for a stripper pole for strip-aerobics. I sent them a vacuum HOSE attachment.
Mass LOL. But the sad part is someone that self-unaware probably didn't get the point.

Every time I read these crazy wedding stories all I can think is either that I have extraordinarily thoughtful and nice friends or else that I'm just not running in rarified enough circles.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Props?
Glow lights, feather boas, leis, straw hats, etc.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
^^ Are you talking about a photobooth? I have not seen any DJs with props.

I was at first kind of sad that we couldn't do a photobooth at our wedding (budget did not allow) but after being to a wedding with one I felt "meh" about it.
Old 09-04-2013, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^ I agree, lovespink88! I never understood the point of them, to be honest. There was one wedding I attended where the couple wanted at least one picture from the photobooth of each guest, and I spent probably 45 minutes in line. It just doesn't make sense to me!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Glow lights, feather boas, leis, straw hats, etc.

I have never heard of a photobooth at a wedding reception.