GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,147
1 members and 1,146 guests
Low D Flat

Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Kansas University has suspended all Fraternity social functions shortly after S A E BAN from Kansas University.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-17-2018, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

WOW, such a quick change! Fraternities voted to kick out current IFC Officers.Social functions back on.

Also D U and one other group suspended from campus!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator

That's very encouraging. I'm glad to see that at least somewhere, IFC isn't just capitulating to whatever demand the administration has.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-18-2018, 03:31 PM

California Poly- San Luis Obispo has suspended all Greek Life activities indefinitely.

http://www.ksby.com/story/37979871/c...e-indefinitely

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 04-19-2018, 12:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
California Poly- San Luis Obispo has suspended all Greek Life activities indefinitely.

http://www.ksby.com/story/37979871/c...e-indefinitely
I shared an article from the NY Times a few days ago, in another thread (said thread was closed due to ... well ... yeah... enough said), about the situation at Cal Poly SLO. Now this. Cannot say I am surprised.

Powerful letter from the College President.

Sigh.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-20-2018, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Letter from a SLO student who is not affiliated with a GLO expressing their disappointment that all Greek Life has been indefinitely suspended.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/pr-10...eek-life-foote

Quote:
What does the suspension of Greek life actually do for Cal Poly's diversity and climate? Please. I actually want to know. I'm not even in Greek life; I'm just a student who cannot believe this almost insultingly transparent Public Relations ploy is genuinely what my administration came up with. IFC had already voted to put themselves on indefinite social probation. Panhellenic was literally in the process of doing the same when the president of the university and several members of administration waltzed into their meeting and declared the decision was their own. Other Greek organizations were prepared to stand AGAINST Lambda Chi and the now infamous Kyler Watkins. They were drafting needs assessments and inclusivity plans.
Old 04-21-2018, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

TLLK, that's pretty much the response I'd expect from a student. The issues at Cal Poly SLO are way deeper. And this was far from an "almost insultingly transparent Public Relations ploy". The action from IFC and proposed action from Panhellenic are, frankly, too little too late. You don't put a bandaid on a bleeding stump.

I'm not attacking you, please understand that. This is a very deep systemic issue that affects the college culture and beyond. Heck, we have at least one member here willing to defend the actions of Lambda Chi and try to make this something less than what it actually is. Make no mistake, it's not just that fraternity, despite what the student wrote. Hence the action of the College President. His letter addresses First Amendment rights.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-22-2018, 10:55 AM
GreekChat Member

AEPi at Temple has been suspended

http://6abc.com/temple-suspends-frat...drugs/3371487/
Old 04-22-2018, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
TLLK, that's pretty much the response I'd expect from a student. The issues at Cal Poly SLO are way deeper. And this was far from an "almost insultingly transparent Public Relations ploy". The action from IFC and proposed action from Panhellenic are, frankly, too little too late. You don't put a bandaid on a bleeding stump.

I'm not attacking you, please understand that. This is a very deep systemic issue that affects the college culture and beyond. Heck, we have at least one member here willing to defend the actions of Lambda Chi and try to make this something less than what it actually is. Make no mistake, it's not just that fraternity, despite what the student wrote. Hence the action of the College President. His letter addresses First Amendment rights.
No worries AZTheta. You're just giving your response to what I posted.
Old 04-22-2018, 04:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Phi Beta at Texas State is up and running again, so I assume other chapters are jumping through the hoops and doing the same.

http://gato-docs.its.txstate.edu/jcr...an-02-2018.pdf

We missed our 50th anniversary celebration, so now they will do it in the fall - when I cannot attend because of the Texas Renaissance Festival. Thanks, President Trauth!

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 04-22-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:37 PM

Murray State University(KY) has suspended all Greek Life activities after a reported sexual assault and the death of a visitor at a fraternity. The suspension will more than likely carry into Fall '18 while investigations continue.

http://www.kentucky.com/news/state/a...210842874.html

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)