GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,785
1 members and 1,784 guests
No Members online

Old 06-24-2016, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy rushing with a 3.2 GPA...?

i'm going to be a freshman at an SEC school (mizzou) and i'm leaving high school with a 3.2 gpa. I have lots of volunteer experience, stellar ACT score, several rec letters, have lots of dual credit and a 3.7 collegiate gpa.. have been admitted into the honors program.. my high school gpa is basically the 'blemish' on my resume.

I've had really bad anxiety and depression due to some very traumatic problems in my family and personal life and all throughout high school and it took a toll on my grades. do you think explaining this will help me during recruitment?

I'm joining a sorority for the philanthropic work. I just hope my past doesn't ruin any opportunities for me after the first round of cuts. I really want people to see past that.

(Mizzou's PHA website recommends not rushing if you have anything below a 3.5)
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-24-2016, 01:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Are you an upperclassman? If so, your collegiate grade is going to be considered more heavily than your high school grade.
Also, recs are an ideal way to explain why the discrepancy.
You'll need to be open to any sorority that invites you back.
Remember, you don't have to be in a sorority to do philanthropic or volunteer work.
If you don't go through recruitment, you know you won't get a bid. Then again, it's possible things may open up a bit and you could sign up for COB, at least for spring semester or whenever their non-recruitment semester occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiznekcam View Post
i'm going to be a freshman at an SEC school (mizzou) and i'm leaving high school with a 3.2 gpa. I have lots of volunteer experience, stellar ACT score, several rec letters, have lots of dual credit and a 3.7 collegiate gpa.. have been admitted into the honors program.. my high school gpa is basically the 'blemish' on my resume.

I've had really bad anxiety and depression due to some very traumatic problems in my family and personal life and all throughout high school and it took a toll on my grades. do you think explaining this will help me during recruitment?

I'm joining a sorority for the philanthropic work. I just hope my past doesn't ruin any opportunities for me after the first round of cuts. I really want people to see past that.

(Mizzou's PHA website recommends not rushing if you have anything below a 3.5)

Old 06-24-2016, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
Are you an upperclassman? If so, your collegiate grade is going to be considered more heavily than your high school grade.
Also, recs are an ideal way to explain why the discrepancy.
You'll need to be open to any sorority that invites you back.
Remember, you don't have to be in a sorority to do philanthropic or volunteer work.
If you don't go through recruitment, you know you won't get a bid. Then again, it's possible things may open up a bit and you could sign up for COB, at least for spring semester or whenever their non-recruitment semester occurs.
No i will be a freshman! I just took so many dual credit courses in high school that i'm starting college with a gpa.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

While Mizzou is in the SEC it's not as competitive as Ole Miss, Alabama, etc. I think you'll be OK if you make sure to include the college GPA and be sure that your rec writers make a big notation of that. Couple that with being totally open to the process and not getting caught up in "tent talk" about individual groups...
Old 06-24-2016, 10:10 AM
GreekChat Member

From Mizzou's PHA Recruitment FAQs (http://greeklife.missouri.edu/pha/recruitment-faq/):

Does my high school GPA matter in the recruitment process?

It is HIGHLY recommended that women participating in formal recruitment or informal recruitment have at or above a 3.5 cumulative high school or college GPA at the time they are seeking membership. While scholastic standards is a component of the membership selection process, please note that meeting this minimum does not guarantee membership in a sorority.
Green Light = Your options are not likely to be limited base on your GPA (3.5 +)
Yellow Light = Your options are more likely to be limited by your GPA (3.0-3.499)
Red light = Your options are very likely to be limited based on your GPA (0-2.999)
Based on a 4.0 GPA Scale

=============

You should check with Mizzou's PHA for their policy on reporting weighted vs unweighted GPAs.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZ_Turtle86 View Post
From Mizzou's PHA Recruitment FAQs (http://greeklife.missouri.edu/pha/recruitment-faq/):

Does my high school GPA matter in the recruitment process?

It is HIGHLY recommended that women participating in formal recruitment or informal recruitment have at or above a 3.5 cumulative high school or college GPA at the time they are seeking membership. While scholastic standards is a component of the membership selection process, please note that meeting this minimum does not guarantee membership in a sorority.
Green Light = Your options are not likely to be limited base on your GPA (3.5 +)
Yellow Light = Your options are more likely to be limited by your GPA (3.0-3.499)
Red light = Your options are very likely to be limited based on your GPA (0-2.999)
Based on a 4.0 GPA Scale

=============

You should check with Mizzou's PHA for their policy on reporting weighted vs unweighted GPAs.
Exactly why I suggested her rec writers strongly mention her college GPA, dual enrollment, etc. She's straddling the line and the groups need to be aware of that....