GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,204
1 members and 2,203 guests
Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Gatormom, that must have been an incredibly difficult experience for your daughter and especially for you. But as was said earlier, money doesn't guarantee a bid. If it did then in fact we alums would be guilty of buying our children's friends. With that being said though, if there was 1 mean girl who purposely blocked your daughter then that's not fair either. Had this situation occurred in my Chapter, I hope I would have looked into what was going on. If the Chapter wants to release the legacy of a valued and generous alum, I would want to make sure there was more "cause" than 1 mean girl's personal vendetta.

But at this point there is nothing that can be done. I am happy your daughter found a home elsewhere. My advice is the next time your Chapter solicits you for donations you should respond with a polite note saying you have donated to your sorority's national philanthropy as you feel your money would be more useful there.

Maybe it's because she directly mentions KD by name, but I'm not so sure about her post. There has been such an influx of "bitter mommies" the past few weeks, that it is hard to know who to take seriously.

My quick thoughts:
I would like to know how this fly-by-night poster came to know how and why her daughter was cut? How does she know it was this girl? Wonder if her daughter cut KD and was too afraid to tell her mom the truth (which, judging from the mom's bitterness I wouldn't be surprised if she was scared of her mom)? Maybe her daughter isn't as perfect as she thinks? UF has a ton of legacies that rush, it is a very competitive greek school with a lot of very strong chapters. Legacies have to be cut sometimes. None of us know for certain what happened, bitter mom doesn't know for certain.

But I agree with the above posters about the "D" crap and I can't wait to see these college confidential helicopter moms fly far far away. Let your kids live their own life and deal with their own problems. You posting on a message board about it is just embarassing them to death.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
But I agree with the above posters about the "D" crap and I can't wait to see these college confidential helicopter moms fly far far away. Let your kids live their own life and deal with their own problems. You posting on a message board about it is just embarassing them to death.
Amen! Everyone's daughter is the most beautiful/smartest/most accomplished in their mothers' eyes. Sure, rejection stings. However, I think it's hurting the parents much more. Many have outright said that their daughters are happy where they are. Why not do the right thing and be supportive of your daughter and her happiness in her new chapter? Just because you were a member 25 years ago and had the time of your life in that chapter does not mean that your daughter would like the girls in the house now. Heck, if you were going through recruitment now, you might have found a better fit in a different chapter. These parents need to grow up and stop meddling.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylochick216
Many have outright said that their daughters are happy where they are. Why not do the right thing and be supportive of your daughter and her happiness in her new chapter? Just because you were a member 25 years ago and had the time of your life in that chapter does not mean that your daughter would like the girls in the house now. Heck, if you were going through recruitment now, you might have found a better fit in a different chapter. These parents need to grow up and stop meddling.
On the same note, I wonder how many of these girls whose moms posted that they were disappointed by the chapter they got would have been LESS disappointed if their mom didn't put so much pressure on them to join HER chapter, and if not HER chapter, than another chapter that SHE deemed fit.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
KAZODIASS!!!!

I remember that was my new favorite word at that time.

Nothing beats the Frattys, though.

Kazo + fratty + collegeconfidential would = an entire bowl of awesome.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:19 PM
GreekChat Member

You girls are very welcoming and freely share great information and I, for one, really enjoy reading posts/threads here on Greek Chat! The numerous stories of happy girls are especially fun and I've learned a lot about sorority life, too.
However, to say that you wish the moms would go away is a little unfair, I think. It seems to me that, if a post/thread has a title or poster that remotely indicates that it is regarding moms or parents and you do not care to read it, you could just skip by it and go to another that you are interested in. Not to mention that the (few) who are hurting may have no where else to go. Helicopter mom or not, that's important.

Thanks for making room for all of us.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoMom View Post
It seems to me that, if a post/thread has a title or poster that remotely indicates that it is regarding moms or parents and you do not care to read it, you could just skip by it and go to another that you are interested in.
It seems to me that we have been doing things the way we have for 7 years or so, and you're not going to get us to change now. You could just skip the people's posts you want to, and not try to be "That Newbie" that decides they are going to change the way GC is.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
You girls are very welcoming and freely share great information and I, for one, really enjoy reading posts/threads here on Greek Chat! The numerous stories of happy girls are especially fun and I've learned a lot about sorority life, too.
However, to say that you wish the moms would go away is a little unfair, I think. It seems to me that, if a post/thread has a title or poster that remotely indicates that it is regarding moms or parents and you do not care to read it, you could just skip by it and go to another that you are interested in. Not to mention that the (few) who are hurting may have no where else to go. Helicopter mom or not, that's important.

SoMom, there are always going to be a few bad apples in every bunch. Don't let the rude comments discourage you. Of course there's room for all!
Old 08-28-2007, 03:33 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:

Or you could take your Ds and Ss and Ps and Qs back to CollegeConfidential and comfort those who hurt over there.

We can't force the helicopter parents to leave and they can't force GC to be nice to them.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I started reading a recruitment thread in which a mom said her DD was rushing. I had to stop and wonder why she was making a recruitment thread for her designated driver, until I realized that she meant her daughter. That's when I stopped reading.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Karma is a B**ch

Quote:
Or you could take your Ds and Ss and Ps and Qs back to CollegeConfidential and comfort those who hurt over there.

We can't force the helicopter parents to leave and they can't force GC to be nice to them.
I will venture to say that most of the critics of parents are childless. That's been my experience anyway.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherjb View Post
I will venture to say that most of the critics of parents are childless. That's been my experience anyway.
I really hope you aren't wishing childlessness on OTW with the title of your post. Because that would be, umm, I don't even have a word for it.

If your daughter is happy, just let her be happy and let it go. If she's not and you want to yell at your nationals or at the school that Big Southern's XYZ chapter is a bunch of spoiled shallow brats who should die in a fire, then get off GC and get on the horn. There's really not a lot that we can do for you here other than repeat the same things we've said over and over.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-28-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I really hope you aren't wishing childlessness on OTW with the title of your post. Because that would be, umm, I don't even have a word for it.
With a signature like

Quote:
"I'm not crazy. I've just been in very bad mood the last 15 years."
I'm not really surprised.

To Esther, if I never have children, I'll consider that a blessing. That said, your "Karma is Bitch" subject is definitely flawed.

And in the words of the great Senusret I...

YOUR MOTHER.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by estherjb View Post
Just because you starred out two of the letters so as not to spell the full word, it does not make you appear any more classy or polite. Man up to it and spell the whole damn word next time. Bless your heart.

Last edited by cuteASAbug; 08-28-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
YOUR MOTHER.
No more moms. PLEASE!

I have nothing against moms, I have nothing against moms posting. What I am against is the influx of posting by these random moms whose 110% perfect angel of a daughter got cut from XYZ sorority for whatever reason and they want to take it out on everyone and be comforted and told that XYZ is a horrible horrible group of women who are going to burn in hell for daring to cut daring little pwecious DD.

If it is truly bothering you that much, perhaps you should speak with your daughter about it, your husband, a good friend, a counselor or psychiatrist. Particularly those who have daughters who are happy with their own choice of sorority and/or being non-Greek. Putting such high expectations and pressure on your kids isn't healthy, either, btw.

(As an aside, on the vein of the person who says they thought someone was posting about their DD = designated driver, I thought they were posting about their daughter's bra size!).
Old 08-28-2007, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Okay, folks, the moms have every right to post on here like everybody else does. Some of them are excited, some are in pain and if they want to talk about it and you don't want to read it, then don't.

Anyone who hasn't been banned can post on GC!

I think it's time to close this one.
Closed Thread