GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 882
1 members and 881 guests
Xidelt

Old 09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RACooper
Hey to me telling the media that the shouldn't take photos of the dead is actually pretty goofy
My point is that you are just using this thread as another outlet to bash our administration. I guess I just think that if you REALLY need another thread for that, you should just start a "Bash the Administration" thread.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:17 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Inebriated Belgian woman dies in cemetery accident
Wed Sep 7, 2005 1:43 PM BST
Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - An inebriated Belgian woman died in a freak accident when she ended up beneath a heavy grave stone at a cemetery, local news agency Belga said on Wednesday.

The 33-year-old was on her way home from a bar in the Belgian town of Pulle in the early hours of Saturday when she took a short cut through the cemetery.

But she urgently needed to relieve herself and crouched down between two gravestones. As she lost her balance, she grabbed one of the stones which gave way and landed on top of her.

The public prosecutor's office said she died of suffocation as she was unable to lift the heavy stone.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05251/567898.stm

Teenagers stole $28,000 out of a mobile home and were handing out $50 bills to girls at the local county fair.

Who on earth keeps $28K in cash in their home, let alone their MOBILE HOME?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani

Um.... Last place anyone would think to look?

Quote:
Teenagers stole $28,000 out of a mobile home and were handing out $50 bills to girls at the local county fair.
I'm kinda scared to ask this... But, WHY were they handing out $50 bills to girls at the fair???
Old 09-08-2005, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

School District in Philippines Bans Gambling on Spider Fights -

According to the Minda News in Mindanao, Philippines, the biggest problem for the local school district isn't truancy, drugs or teen pregnancy. It's playing spiders--at least for money--which it has now been officially banned. If you don't know what "playing spiders" is, you're not alone. Most of the world fears spiders (or at least leaves them alone) but the kids in Mindanao have turned them into the latest gambling craze. According to an article in Maxim the wagering starts after the kids "get a couple of big, hairy spiders, put ‘em each on a stick, and make the poor suckers fight to the death, or until one has completely wrapped the other in a silky cocoon." (Didn't Mr. Rogers do that frequently on his TV show?) The best combatants are kept in matchboxes, and a champion can fetch 100 pesos, or $2.40, which is about a year's worth of wages for most people in the Philippines (we could be a little off on that fact). In addition to the actual spider fighting and gambling that goes along with it, the kids also spend most of their free time (and frequently skip school) finding these monster in trees, although some claim the best areas to find them are beneath power lines. (No nuclear power plants nearby, eh kids?) Superintendent Dr. Goria Mudanza was forced to prohibit school children from playing spiders for gambling purposes after visiting one local schoolyard. "I was shocked upon seeing these school children holding a piece of stick broom where the spiders are fighting, while the rest from the group are yelling while holding the bet money."
Old 09-08-2005, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, and did I mention-
Old 09-09-2005, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Quote:
Originally posted by moe.ron
But she urgently needed to relieve herself and crouched down between two gravestones. As she lost her balance, she grabbed one of the stones which gave way and landed on top of her.
Who relieves themselves in a cemetary???
Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kddani
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05251/567898.stm

You reaaaaallllly want me to answer that????

When I thnk of this story 2 things come to mind - drug dealer place or a meth lab. Either way - those teens may be in more trouble than they counted.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:39 PM
GreekChat Member

------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following "sound bites" were taken off actual police car videos around the country. There are some pretty funny policeman out there! I personally like the last one! have a good snicker!

15). "Relax; the handcuffs are tight because they're new. They'll stretch out after you wear them awhile."

14). "Take your hands off the car, and I'll make your birth certificate a worthless document."

13). "If you run, you'll only go to jail tired."

12). "Can you run faster than 1,200 feet per second? In case you didn't know, that is the average speed of a 9mm bullet fired from my gun."

11). "So you don't know how fast you were going. I guess that means I can write anything I want on the ticket, huh?"

10). "Yes, Sir, you can talk to the shift supervisor, but I don't think it will help. Oh... did I mention that I am the shift supervisor?"

9). "Warning! You want a warning? O.K., I'm warning you not to do that again or I'll give you another ticket."

8). "The answer to this last question will determine whether you are drunk or not. Was Mickey Mouse a cat or a dog?"

7). "Fair? You want me to be fair? Listen, fair is a place where you go to ride on rides, eat cotton candy, and step in monkey crap."

6). "Yeah, we have a quota. Two more tickets and my wife gets a toaster oven."

5). "In God we trust, all others we run through NCIC."

4). "Just how big were those two beers?"

3). "No sir we don't have quotas anymore. We used to have quotas but now we're allowed to write as many tickets as we want."

2). "I'm glad to hear the Chief of Police is a good personal friend of yours. At least you know someone who can post your bail."

And the best one . . . . .

1). "You didn't think we gave pretty women tickets? You're right, we don't. Sign here."
Old 09-11-2005, 12:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Wash. Post reports over-weight Europeans are paid more than skinny people in the "beer belt" of northern Europe, but skinny people are paid more in the "Olive belt" of Italy, Spain, France.
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Quote:
Man whose football tickets failed to arrive finds them at delivery man's house

ELKHART, Ind. (AP) - A man whose prized University of Notre Dame season football tickets failed to arrive finally found out where they ended up.

At the delivery man's house.

The Elkhart man called the delivery service Aug. 16 looking for his tickets - valued at $10,000 US - and was told they had been dropped off at the wrong address.

This week, police learned the tickets were at the home of 38-year-old Ronnie Allard, the delivery man.

Allard asked his girlfriend to steal the tickets after he delivered them to the man's front porch, according to Elkhart County Patrolman Jason Ray. Allard faces a felony charge of possession of stolen property.

The alleged theft came to light Sunday after Allard and his girlfriend had a fight. Ray said that when police came to the house, the woman told them about the stolen tickets.
I would kick his ass.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

CONCERNED ABOUT TOO MANY CARBS IN YOUR DIET?

For those of you who watch what you eat, here's the final word on nutrition and health. It's a relief to know the truth after all those conflicting
medical
studies.

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks
than
Americans.

4. The Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than Americans.

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier

CONCLUSION:

Eat and drink what you like.
Speaking English is apparently what kills you.
What do we know about the British? They speak English too. Hmm... interesting.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

New Orleans Pets

"As the owner of a Chihuahua, I've been looking for an excuse to ditch that damn thing for years."
— Rebecca Basset, Systems Analyst
Old 09-14-2005, 12:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hoosier
New Orleans Pets

"As the owner of a Chihuahua, I've been looking for an excuse to ditch that damn thing for years."
— Rebecca Basset, Systems Analyst

This makes me sad. I really hope it doesn't mean what I think it does. Chihuahuas are the best dogs!!!