GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,448
1 members and 1,447 guests
Xidelt

Old 06-28-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
OK, due to a recent wedding, I had to bump this.
Ok, carnation, now you have to spill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Lovely outdoor ceremony, eagles circling majestically overhead...at least I thought they were eagles until hubby corrected me and said they were actually buzzards.
Buzzards ... oh dear. LOL
Old 06-28-2016, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sister Havana
There was a Reddit thread on this subject about a month ago. Some amazing stories in that thread.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
^^^DZ Turtle86-Not one, but two wardrobe incidents surely is a contender for one of the best stories on this thread!
It was a doozy!
Old 06-28-2016, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
Ok, carnation, now you have to spill!

Buzzards ... oh dear. LOL
I've confused those for eagles myself especially after my parents moved to Napa, CA in the late 1980's.

Napa was the setting for a beautiful wedding. Gorgeous flowers, great food, and wine plus an incredible setting for an outdoor summer ceremony. However this was a "I think that God is trying to tell me something" wedding in my family. A 5.3 earthquake in the wee hours of the morning of Sept. 3, 2000 the wedding day should have been a wake up call to all of us.

This small family wedding was to be held at my parents' home overlooking the rolling hills of the Napa Valley in Sept. of 2000. If you are familiar with Napa, this was in the Carneros region. They lived in a mid-century A-frame with a soaring ceiling and walls of glass which showcased the spectacular views. The ceremony was to take place on the deck and the luncheon reception immediately after the service had ended. To be prepared for the event, we'd cleared all of the furniture out of the living room and set up tables. The tables were set with the linens, china, silver and crystal. In the kitchen all of the prep materials, pots, pans etc..were on the counter so that the caterer could start cooking the next morning. The ceremony was to be at 11 AM. We went to bed knowing we were as prepared as possible. The bride and groom were staying in nearby Yountville and my parents' home was filled with relatives.

In the early morning hours we were jolted out of bed by the strongest earthquake any of us had ever experienced. Except for one guest we were all California natives who had lived through many seismic events. As we were close to the epicenter and the quake was shallow, what we felt was an extreme jolt and violent shaking. My husband, our six month old daughter and I were huddled in our doorway and all around us was the sound of glassware and pottery crashing onto the floor. We initially thought that the windows were shattering. My cousin who was sleeping on an air mattress was nearly hit by a computer monitor, but otherwise everyone was safe.

When the shaking stopped we put on our shoes to head out and survey the damage. My parents lost piles of dishes, glassware, pottery and a few picture frames when the cupboard doors opened. (Sadly this included my mother's tall Delta Gamma vase that she'd received as a gift her senior year.) However on the tables that had been set up, NOTHING had been broken. Only a single salt shaker had fallen over! The power was restored a few hours later so the food was safe. The bakery called to let us know that the cake had survived the quake. We took all of this to be a "good sign" that the wedding to go forward.

Unfortunately in less than two years this couple divorced due to his infidelity. Looking back we realized that we should have been paying attention to the nudge that we'd been given!

Last edited by TLLK; 06-28-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'd love to hear more stories!
Old 03-16-2018, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

As the sometimes assistant to a wedding photographer, I have some funny, but not awful stories.

1.) I was assisting at a really fun same sex wedding where both brides had really large outgoing families. One of the bride's brothers was about 19. We were trying to do photos and he kept disappearing to do Fireball shots, they made me babysit him until we were all done. I had to make his stay right with me and he kept trying to make me take Fireball shots. I must have yelled "Cameron" and "no" at least 50 times in 30 minutes. By the time we were done, he could barely stand for the last few photos and in the proofs you can see people holding him up for the last few family pics.

2. At another wedding, the limo with the groomsmen and the groom was way late for photos because the driver got lost looking for a liquor store. They had finished off the beer before they got to the wedding venue and needed more. No, they really didn't. This was the same wedding where the groom's aunt found out I was single and tried to fix me up with every single guy at the wedding. sigh.

3. I was working with a different photographer and she forgot to take medication she was supposed to take and almost passed out. Found an ER nurse to tend to the photographer while I finished the wedding party photographs. Then she had the nerve to tell a different story to the owner of the company, who unbeknownst to her is longtime friend of mine.

4. At the same wedding above, the flower girl would not smile in any of the photos. I asked her why and she said, "because I don't like (insert bride's name) and I don't want her to be my step mom." Yeah, that went over well.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator

I saw this today. Hilarious! https://www.tickld.com/funny/2438370...gkWJFYHcgZtkYs
Old 08-23-2019, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I attended a beautiful wedding at a winery in upstate New York. We stayed at the approved hotel and took the organized shuttle to the venue. There were two shuttle runs - we grabbed a quick drink at the hotel bar and opted for the second shuttle run. The shuttle got LOST trying to find the venue. Friends who were already there were texting us that the ceremony was about to start. We missed the beginning of the ceremony and had to awkwardly walk up and stand in the back to see the end of it.

During the reception, they ran out of food! They were serving some type of chicken over rice, and the caterers were cutting the chicken pieces in half as they were serving to stretch it further. For the vegetarian option, I had only salad and rice. Since we were in a vineyard in the middle of nowhere (and had taken the shuttle!) there wasn't any way to go get more food.

It wasn't terrible - we had fun drinking and dancing, but there were definitely a few bumps in the road!
Old 08-23-2019, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
Quote:
Number 11 was all kind of crazy! I cannot imagine any mother thinking that would be an appropriate game.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Of course, these are all ridiculous, and I can't understand why people feel such entitlement on a day that's not about them at all.

But I truly feel bad for the couple in #27. It's one thing when it's a crazy aunt or a distant friend making unreasonable requests, but when it's a parent ruining everything for their kids, it's especially unfortunate.

Quote:
27) "My dad insisted that his band get to play at our wedding.

My wife and I were dead set against it. My dad would not stop asking over and over again to let his band play at the reception.

We kept saying no, so he decided to get creative. He calls me up one day and says he is paying for our honeymoon and that he has booked us a cruise to Mexico.

He then asks again if his freaking band can play at the wedding. I talk it over with my wife and we compromised that they can play at the reception hall for a couple hours between the actual wedding and the reception.

The wedding was at 3 pm.and reception was to start at 5 pm.

We figured his band could entertain people while they waited for us to show up (we provided drinks and snacks for people that went straight to the hall).

While my wife and I are having pictures taken, I text a friend and ask how my dad's band sounds. He says they aren't playing.

I'm confused now because we explicitly told him when they could perform.

So, now I'm of the understanding that my father's band isn't going to be performing.

We get to the reception hall and see that my mother had rearranged everything while we were getting pictures taken.

The head table we set up, the way we wanted the tables grouped, she moved everything. So, of course, my wife bursts into tears seeing how everything had been moved.

We actually have a picture of me seeing that everything had been moved with a blank expressionless look on my face and then a second pic of my wife noticing and the look of shock and sadness.

So the wedding reception begins.

My dad comes up to and starts trying to negotiate when his band will play. We already paid for a DJ.

I told him it's not possible anymore. He persists. Dinner is served (when can my band play?). Toast by best man (when can my band play?).

First dance by the couple (when can my band play?).

It gets to the point that my best man starts fighting with my dad.

They're screaming at each other and my best man is yelling 'Stop bringing up the freaking band.'

Here's the best part -- the band members weren't even there yet.

And when they did arrive, they all brought their whole freaking families. After a few hours at the reception, I told my dad that his band could play whatever they wanted, then my wife and I left.

Oh, and my dad didn't perform in this band, he just wrote songs for them.

It took my wife a solid five years to be able to be in the same room with my dad again."

@~/~~~~
Old 02-17-2020, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank goodness GC is back from its database error hiatus, because I went to a wedding this weekend. Popcorn needed to be served.

First of all, this was a family wedding with a very quick dating and engagement period. The groom is 19 and the bride just turned 20. Of course, we all wish them well and we will support them, but they are very young and everyone is concerned. My daughter was a bridesmaid and I jokingly asked her if the bachelorette party was going to be at Chuck E. Cheese's.

The couple wrote their own vows, but didn't memorize them. When it came time to recite them, the maid of honor handed the bride her vows. The groom turned to the minister and said he'd forgotten his vows paper, and needed to go get them. The look on the minister's face was priceless, and you can tell he's thinking 1) wing it, or 2) let's go with the standard vows. He was probably not thinking 3) RUN back down the aisle to get the vows, leaving the bride standing at the altar for several minutes while you try to find them. If you guessed option 3, you're right! So we all sat there nervously giggling, with the minister making a couple light-hearted jokes, until the groom RUNS back up the aisle with his vows. In the meantime, someone in the back yelled, "Don't worry, 'Susie,' he's coming back!"

Second, the ring was tied so tightly to the pillow, the groom couldn't get it loose. The master of ceremonies finally brought a KNIFE up the aisle so he could cut the cord.

For the kiss, the groom dipped the bride all the way sideways and bent down to kiss her (this brought back nightmares of partially dislocating my knee in college when some some idiot I was dancing with did this to me on New Year's Eve...resulting in a trip to the ER...but I digress).

At the end of the bridal dance, the groom left the bride standing on the dance floor and RAN out of the hall, into the bathroom. I heard someone in the hall say, "where are you going so fast? The bathroom, hahaha?" Yep. Seriously, if you don't know enough to "go" before something important, you're not old enough to get married.

Guests were asked to tell funny stories about the couple, instead of clinking glasses, if you wanted them to kiss. Imagine how judicious their 19/20-year-old-peers were in selectively choosing which stories to tell. The best (worst?) one was how the groom drank water out of a dog dish sitting on the sidewalk outside a dog-friendly boutique last year.

The food was good. It was a dry reception...thank goodness. And, the groom is a good sprinter.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^^^Thank you for sharing your story and making me laugh today, Sciencewoman.^^^^^

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh my goodness. He should have just winged-it and spoke to his bride from his heart.

True and Constant
Old 02-18-2020, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Thank goodness GC is back from its database error hiatus....
Seriously!! I was suffering from withdrawal I think!
Old 02-19-2020, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
Oh my goodness. He should have just winged-it and spoke to his bride from his heart.
Exactly. I just don't think he's at a point in life where that was the obvious route to take. The vows were only about 3-4 sentences long and not that memorable...he definitely could have extemporized something just as good and everyone would have thought he had memorized what he just said.