GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,547
2 members and 1,545 guests
babobygooglet93, navane

Old 08-23-2011, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Wary, don't beat yourself up. I didn't see the original version of the thread that Ellebud referred to but... even if you did something that may have "leaked" your daughter's identity, you told your daughter's story with integrity and good intentions.

In contrast, if someone deliberately sabotaged your daughter's recruitment just because they could, that's horrible. You get to walk away with your head held high, knowing that you raised a wonderful young woman that any GLO would be lucky to have as a member. The perps get to live with the knowledge that many of us on GC think they are despicable. I sincerely hope they are not really sorority women.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightisgreat View Post
There is a huge difference in warning someone about the potential for a damaged recruitment (by "mom" posting here) and going all out and completely slaying the dragon. Creating user names to post on a thread, and having those user names mean something to Wary, so Wary knows that the poster knows who her child is is beyond super creapy. I am not going to sugar coat the situation. There is something really broken about what is going on here. This site should be about individuals that if Greek, honor their vows they took to their chapter and show a bit of honor and kindness. Not Greek? Then I guess it is what it is. The people who did this know who they are. And like I said earlier, Karma is circular. Here's to a bite smack on the center of your a$$.
Ummmm....the usernames you're referring to were newbies and trolls. It also doesn't take much to go on a website and find names of groups and make up usernames (TexasDarlin, etc).

They were NOT longtime posters or socks of longtime posters. Their grammar was far too atrocious. I would have fed them to my 3 headed goat by now.

I think it just goes to show that the poster who WAS nice enough to warn Wary to dial back the TMI was probably right. That is, there are WAY more people reading than there are posting.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

33..normally I am in total agreement with you. But when "trolls" use names that identify a person by group or even worse by a specific name, they are socks doing it to send a message. PM Wary. You might be surprise at what was done to let her know tha she was being watched.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Banned

lane swerve/

Essentially another "PNM's/aspirant's parents on GC" theme.

/lane swerve
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
33..normally I am in total agreement with you. But when "trolls" use names that identify a person by group or even worse by a specific name, they are socks doing it to send a message. PM Wary. You might be surprise at what was done to let her know tha she was being watched.
Why should I PM her? Who were the trolls? Texas Darling?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You should PM her because the stalking goes so much deeper than that. I don't really want to publicly say what user names were created to make their point, (I assure you that the people involved, watching this thread, know what they did) but if you really knew how relevent what names they were using were, I hope as a mod (and more so as Greek) you would be horrified at the level of "big brother" that was going on.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You should PM her because the stalking goes so much deeper than that. I don't really want to publicly say what user names were created to make their point, (I assure you that the people involved, watching this thread, know what they did) but if you really knew how relevent what names they were using were, I hope as a mod (and more so as Greek) you would be horrified at the level of "big brother" that was going on.
From what I understand, this isn't anything new on GC. It's been going on for years already.

I heard of a story of a PNM who rushed at UCF unsuccessfully thanks to her lack of discretion here. It was discovered that she had transferred to another Florida school and hoped to rush again. Even though her new school wasn't publicly disclosed, the chapters at school #2 were inundated with "No-Recs" for her and even the Greek Life advisor couldn't believe how many people didn't want this girl in their sorority.

I'm sorry that an innocent girl had to go through this heartache, I really am. Still, I don't know what I would do if I found out that being released from rush was because of what happened here.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Maybe they do, but I don't.

This whole "I know something and yooooooooou don't" isn't my style.

Spill. If not, I'm just going to assume you're full of poo.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Dr Phil this was no lane swerve. What went on here was a campaign by one or more persons to hurt someone.

Anyone with a modicum of talent or education can create a user name and dumb down their posts to conceal their identity (ies). What happened here (and since deleted) was a hate campaign against a kid via the parent.

I keep wondering why the brave people who felt so free to skewer a kid through the mother, to (according to THEIR posts) sabotage a recruitment, don't have the guts to claim it. Notice that I don't say apologize, because I don't think she/they have the guts to do that.

I doubt that she/he/they are ashamed, but karma is a bitc*;
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Maybe they do, but I don't.

This whole "I know something and yooooooooou don't" isn't my style.

Spill. If not, I'm just going to assume you're full of poo.
Actually what you are saying is EXACTLY what the bogus posters did: They said that they "knew" something about someone who was going through recruitment. What did they know? They wouldn't say. What they did do (and you can read my response posts that seem out of context without their accusations) was post a quote by Wary that had NOTHING to do with recruitment or the problems that they alluded to. Then they said that they had taken care of the problem by alerting....Panhellenic, chapters, to the unstated problem. They did, according to Wary (in a pm to me) made up user names with HER daughter's name as the poster to let her know that they knew who she was.

I'll say it again, reminds me of Senator Joseph McCarthy holding up a blank piece of paper and screaming, "I have a list of commies right here!" when he didn't. But the assertions ruined lives. Happily, Wary's daughter's life isn't ruined. She's picked herself up. And sorry, I think the people or person who did this are, for lack of a more descriptive word....poo.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:00 AM

I apparently wasn't on when all this was going down, and the posts were deleted completely (even from the Hall of Justice broom closet) so it's really hard for me or anyone else who didn't read it live to understand what all the brouhaha is.

THIS IS WHY PEOPLE QFP AND SAVE POSTS.

This is the only "out of line" post I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler.darlin View Post
There is a perp mom on Greek Chat right now. 100% confirmed. I don't know if she went as far as submitting a fake RIF but you have cleaned up her messes on Greek Chat.

Last edited by 33girl; 08-24-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Trust me 33Girl, it got worse. What I summarized is bland compared to what was said and how much was inferred. Another moderator read at least part of what was said. IF there is a next time, and I truly hope that there won't be a next time.....I'll QPF. Perhaps the posters got a conscience. Probably not, but hope springs......
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Dr Phil this was no lane swerve.
I am the lane swerverererer. This isn't my lane and I have limited knowledge of what you all are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
What went on here was a campaign by one or more persons to hurt someone.

Anyone with a modicum of talent or education can create a user name and dumb down their posts to conceal their identity (ies). What happened here (and since deleted) was a hate campaign against a kid via the parent.

I keep wondering why the brave people who felt so free to skewer a kid through the mother, to (according to THEIR posts) sabotage a recruitment, don't have the guts to claim it. Notice that I don't say apologize, because I don't think she/they have the guts to do that.

I doubt that she/he/they are ashamed, but karma is a bitc*;
I didn't see everything that was deleted so I'll just speak generally. GC has stalkers, crazies, and people who need hobbies. This point cannot be driven home enough. I said in a thread a week or so ago that I don't like people being researched and called out on the Internet.

But, I agree with MysticCat in that Wary was politely warned, QFP'd, a troll showed up to try to call Wary out, and yet Wary kept going. There comes a point where people have to see the nonsense for what it is. It is unfortunate for the young lady but people (most recently, usernames that claim to be parents) really need to stop ignoring the warning signs.

/back to my lane
Old 08-24-2011, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Wary - Good Luck to your daughter. People (like myself and Wary) come on this board for information. Some of us look to the "experts" for advice. I didnt realize the penalty if you dont take said advice but live and learn. Wary and her daughter didnt deserve this...in fact noone would. I think people forget and feel confident sitting behind a keyboard and saying whatever they want no matter who it hurts. I think it is safe to say they are nothing but a bully. Life moves on and Wary's daughter is in a great place and that is all that matters. To the Bully....I pity you.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Without going into much detail: for instance, one troll/sock posted on GC what a particular PNM was wearing to parties that day. She had no idea how some stranger/creeper knew and it was posted as if to warn her, "I'm watching you."

I was able to delete it quickly and was horrified. I mean, this is stalking.