GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,133
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, Yodapolarisnupe

Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Tree Painting and Fratenity colors?

As you can see I am a new member and joined because I was curious about something that is happening on a Big Ten campus. There is a tree that has been painted in various colors on this campus and I have been told that the Black Faternities are doing this. I have done a Google search trying to find out anything about it but have not turned up much. Maybe the people on here can help me understand why they are doing this and if it has caused any problems anywhere else.
Yes -I take care of the trees on this campus so I am a little biased about this practice but am willing to see both sides if there is some value there.
Thanks in advance!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi there.....it's a tradition. I don't know where it comes from. I am providing some pictures which will show various examples:

At the very top, middle is the Sigma Gamma Rho tree at Howard; to the far right is the Gamma Sigma Sigma tree, which I didn't even notice at first. (Those are Deltas in the foreground)

Zeta Phi Beta tree

Alpha Kappa Alpha tree:

Last edited by Senusret I; 04-14-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

To explain further, on some campuses, fraternities and sororities are given a plot of land -- usually just called a "plot" for short. Some of these plots have trees, or there are trees nearby. (Some campuses only have trees and no plots.)

The trees are painted with sorority or fraternity symbols or letters and serve as meeting or gathering place.

Some organizations incorporate the plot into homecoming activities or new member presentations.

It's a source of pride that is usually approved by the school. Other schools have huge rocks (mini boulders) that their GLOs paint.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 AM
GreekChat Member

A lot of campuses have fraternity and sorority trees. I don't really know the origins, either, but it's not uncommon. Judging by what I've seen, the paint isn't going to harm your campus' trees, if that's what you're worried about.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the quick replies! I would still like to know just how widespread thie "tradition" is. I've been on around this campus for fifty plus years and working here for twenty five plus years and didn't see this "tradition" show up until about five or six years ago. Plus as far as I know there has been no campus approval that has ever been given for this activity.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I honestly don't know how widespread it is. But traditions (no quotes ) can and do travel.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadfsr View Post
Thanks for the quick replies! I would still like to know just how widespread thie "tradition" is. I've been on around this campus for fifty plus years and working here for twenty five plus years and didn't see this "tradition" show up until about five or six years ago. Plus as far as I know there has been no campus approval that has ever been given for this activity.
If there has not been campus approval, I am sure that the administration will speak up on the matter. It is hard for me to believe that any organization would up and decide to paint a tree without the approval of the administration though, because I imagine that there would be consequences for such actions.

If your concern is for the trees, I think that you can rest assured that they have not been harmed in this show of fraternal/sororal spirit.
Old 04-14-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Build a fence and they will come....

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it's neat - but do the groups ever "prank" each other by painting on each other's trees? Or are the trees sacrosanct, and no one would think of it?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
GreekChat Member

On my campus, tree painting (or doing anything to a tree) was a no-no for anyone. You couldn't paint them, climb on them, nothing. So instead the admin gave greeks trash cans to paint with their org's colors. Yes, I said trash cans.

Those that didn't have a trash can had "plots" instead (rock-esque monuments in various forms). Here is the Alpha's plot:

The Kappas had one too btw but I can't find a pic.

Last edited by Honeykiss1974; 04-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

No way I would put my letters on a trash can.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I think something along these lines would be much more all encompassing to Panhel/IFC/NPHC:

Unlike the Fence at CMU, no one ever paints over another unit's decoration.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I of course instantly thought "Founded on a rock!"
Old 04-14-2008, 01:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I of course instantly thought "Founded on a rock!"
Founded on a rock, is that your group or the Catholic Church!?

The pic I clipped is from the National Training Center, Ft Irwin, CA. We had the (mis)fortune to be stationed there for 3 interminable years. It actually wasn't so bad as the closest town was only 40 miles away from the base and true civilization was only 70 miles away.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Founded on a Rock

I believe both Gamma Phi and the Catholic Church are reading from the same book on that one.