GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Omega > Omega Psi Phi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,137
0 members and 1,137 guests
No Members online

Old 07-21-2008, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

New Lampados Program.

One of the important decisions voted on by delegates at the recent Grand Conclave in Birmingham, AL was the choice of changing how men are incorporated into the Fraternity. The delegates voted to do away with the current Membership Selection Process and return to pledging as the means of membership incorporation via the new Lampados Program, which was developed and successfully tested in 30+ pilot programs all over the nation this past year in undergraduate and graduate chapters.

Beginning in September 2009, all men initiated into the Fraternity will go through this iteration of the Lampados Program.

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-21-2008 at 06:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-21-2008, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

To an outsider to the process, such as a Greek Affairs advisor, professor, or a parent, what will be the difference?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
To an outsider to the process, such as a Greek Affairs advisor, professor, or a parent, what will be the difference?
First, this change, as I understand it, primarily originated with the dissatifaction of Brothers concerning the inculcation of traditional Fraternity values in the MSP-type program and a sense that there can be more accountability, since this is basically a chapter-based process; and there are more risk-management processes built in. This is more in line with the culture of the Fraternity.

Last edited by Wolfman; 07-21-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, ok.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a overview/presentation which was given at the recent Conclave which was on the public part of the Omega Psi Phi website.

http://www.oppf.org/docs/Conclave%20...%20071408b.ppt

Old 08-04-2008, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

All in all, good work. I still see some major problems and loopholes for hazers, though.

When I imagined a similar process for Alpha, there was a much shorter window for selection, and a longer period for education with biweekly benchmarks that would have to be met to proceed.

Basically a 2-7-2 process = 2 for selection, 7 for education, 2 for embellishment.

Also (and I'm so not being picky, trust me) I really think that the way to go for NPHC fraternities is going to be the notion of continuous values-based member development, with life-long learning as a goal. I don't see the Lampados Club doing this, and I don't expect Alpha to wise up and do it either.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
All in all, good work. I still see some major problems and loopholes for hazers, though.

When I imagined a similar process for Alpha, there was a much shorter window for selection, and a longer period for education with biweekly benchmarks that would have to be met to proceed.

Basically a 2-7-2 process = 2 for selection, 7 for education, 2 for embellishment.

Also (and I'm so not being picky, trust me) I really think that the way to go for NPHC fraternities is going to be the notion of continuous values-based member development, with life-long learning as a goal. I don't see the Lampados Club doing this, and I don't expect Alpha to wise up and do it either.
Okay, I hear what you're saying. They're all good points. It would be better to have a longer pledge period but the thinking is, I presume, this is the way to cut down on exposure to risk. Whether this is correct or not is another issue.

And no process (and in-built safeguards) is going to cut out hazing. I think that point is made clear here. I think this is attempting to lessen the negative unintended consequences of the post-1990 NPHC intake processes, which were addressed.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I can dig it.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Explain to me what you mean by values-based member development. What's your take on it. "The devil is in the details."

Old 08-04-2008, 06:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I would be better at giving a hypothetical example than trying to explain it....it's based on some of the NIC/NPC programs such as The Blanced Man Program.

So imagine that there are four phases of membership:

Pledge
Neophyte
Prophyte
Alumni

And four ways/methods/approaches to learning:

Pledge: Learning (the essentials) by studying
Neophyte: Learning by doing (service, conducting meetings)
Prophyte: Learning by teaching
Alumni: Learning by living

The path to the next phase is accomplished through a combination of age and knowledge assessment:

Pledge to Neo: Initiation
Neo to Pro: Prophyte Ceremony (most orgs don't have this or it's informal)
Pro to Alum: Alumni Induction/Senior Sendoff

What I'd like to see is membership itself as a personal odyssey (unfortunately "A Personal Odyssey" is already an APO phrase lol).

Why is it called "values based?" Basically because it extrapolates ritualistic values (or values found in a public creed) and translates them to meaningful exercises and activities. Also, it ritualizes the transitions from one phase to another and allows the member to "earn" their way through the fraternity.

(I am a believer that the more something is made into a ritual or ceremony, the more seriously people will take the experience.)

Continuous because it doesn't stop after crossing
Values-based because it injects the core values of the org
Member development because it's not just about the process to get in, but the process to get in, stay in, and excel.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I think I would be better at giving a hypothetical example than trying to explain it....it's based on some of the NIC/NPC programs such as The Blanced Man Program.

So imagine that there are four phases of membership:

Pledge
Neophyte
Prophyte
Alumni

And four ways/methods/approaches to learning:

Pledge: Learning (the essentials) by studying
Neophyte: Learning by doing (service, conducting meetings)
Prophyte: Learning by teaching
Alumni: Learning by living

The path to the next phase is accomplished through a combination of age and knowledge assessment:

Pledge to Neo: Initiation
Neo to Pro: Prophyte Ceremony (most orgs don't have this or it's informal)
Pro to Alum: Alumni Induction/Senior Sendoff

What I'd like to see is membership itself as a personal odyssey (unfortunately "A Personal Odyssey" is already an APO phrase lol).

Why is it called "values based?" Basically because it extrapolates ritualistic values (or values found in a public creed) and translates them to meaningful exercises and activities. Also, it ritualizes the transitions from one phase to another and allows the member to "earn" their way through the fraternity.

(I am a believer that the more something is made into a ritual or ceremony, the more seriously people will take the experience.)

Continuous because it doesn't stop after crossing
Values-based because it injects the core values of the org
Member development because it's not just about the process to get in, but the process to get in, stay in, and excel.
Thanks!!!! You know you gonna make me play the devil's advocate. Yeah, when you mentioned this programs like the Sig Ep's Balanced Man came to mind. In reality this program has had some of the same unintended consequences. I've read a Sig Ep blog and they were saying the same thing that NPHC members are saying about the intake program:"paper"
members, lack of a strong sense of esprit de corps and cohesion of those initiated in these programs, etc.

And to have segmented levels of initiation, like the Masonic and other fraternal groups, you may end up having to deal with hazing and "underground" activities at every level.

Unlike other fraternal groups, college fraternities (I'm definitely speaking about the culture of Omega Psi Phi here) are more like the military, where the foundation is interpersonal trust based on a shared experience in which there are transformative events, usually based on working through some ritualized ordeals. This is the strength and weakness of fraternities. This process can be abused. But in attempting to circumvent this by isolating aspirants from members in the incorporation process, you undermine the legitimacy of the fraternal enterprise as a social dynamic. And you get the emphasis on the "paper" vs. "real" brother, etc.

I'm in agreement with some sort of values-based approach but it has to be done in line with the culture and traditions of the organization. You can't apply the standards and culture of the Boule (Sigma Pi Phi) to the French Foreign Legion.

Last edited by Wolfman; 08-04-2008 at 09:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Although I do agree with you to an extent, NIC frats never had to endure MSP or MIP..... imagine the uproar if they got rid of Balanced Man and replaced it with 21 days, two weekends, or 3 days.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Here's a overview/presentation which was given at the recent Conclave which was on the public part of the Omega Psi Phi website.

http://www.oppf.org/docs/Conclave%20...%20071408b.ppt
I LOVE the dress code and mandatory church service attendance! Wish my sorority had something like that.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I am almost certain I've known of Pyramids and Deltas post-1990 going to chapel together.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting thread discourse.

That is all.