GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,775
0 members and 1,775 guests
No Members online

Old 12-21-2003, 09:59 AM
Super Moderator

Rush Trends...

How have numbers been over the last few years on your campus? Have they been trending upwards or downwards?

Any reason?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 12-21-2003, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to FAUNikki
At my school, rush has been down. Quota is usually around 25... this year it was 13... only one sorority got quota... I hope it gets better next year!
Old 12-21-2003, 01:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
I know at least with the NPC orgs, numbers have definitely been going up here. Quota averages between 65-70, and even with the addition of a new organization (Kappa) here, quota was still 69 this year.
Old 12-21-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Both sorority rush and fraternity rush was at an all time high this fall same with pledging, nearly every sorority made quota except a few of the less well known, and most fraternities had their most pledges ever.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
There have a increase over the last year. Greek Life here is starting to get better.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-21-2003, 04:46 PM

Back in the day, rush at my school took place in the fall, before classes started. I noticed that odd years tended to have good numbers, and even years tended to have bad numbers. NPC quota was in the low 30s in odd years and the mid 20s in even years. The pattern seemed to hold true as well for fraternities and independent living groups (ILGs - sort of coed fraternities).

Starting in the 2002-2003 school year, rush was deferred. Fraternity and ILG rush was held in September, and sorority rush was deferred to February. Fraternity and ILG rush was therefore happening a few weeks into the semester, when classwork starts to get intense and exams start being given, so a lot of guys were too busy studying to come out for rush. As for the sororities, a lot of women are involved in a bunch of other activities by the time spring semester rolls around, and they don't know if they can make time for a sorority, plus it's their first semester on grades (fall semester freshman year is pass/no record) and they worry that they can't keep their grades up AND pledge AND do everything else they're involved in. I think quota was only 21 last year.

Fraternity numbers were down again this year. I'll be very interested to see what sorority numbers are like.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Last year was up, this year was down -- by a lot.
Old 12-22-2003, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

My school went up two years ago and has stayed about the same since then... used to be that about 40-50 girls started rush and quota was about 12-15 now ( starting two years ago)about 80 people start rush and quota is around 20. This year more people (about 10 more) ended up getting bids than the year before last, we have a high drop-out rate...
Old 12-23-2003, 05:07 PM
Banned

Sororities were up only because they added one more sorority. Fraternities were flat with the bigger houses losing some members (general cycle, going dry, etc.) and some smaller ones (the newer or niche ones) picking them up.

-Rudey
Old 12-23-2003, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to hottytoddy Send a message via AIM to hottytoddy Send a message via Yahoo to hottytoddy
Number of sororities hasn't changed at my school (Ole Miss)---and the number of members goes UP EVERY YEAR!!!

My freshman year quota was 60 that was 1999

This year it was 86 - with most houses getting about 91(that's what we got)

Fraternity numbers are growing too. I am not sure on the exact #s though
Old 12-23-2003, 06:30 PM

The number of girls going through recruitment has increased over the years.
Quota has fluctuated. This is due to the addition of sororities and recruitment becoming more competitive resulting in more girls dropping out.
These are the quotas over past few years at UCF:
1999- 64 or 65
2000- 70 (I think)
2001- 67
2002- 71
2003- 69
Old 12-24-2003, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
W&L NPC numbers are quite steady--almost always have 200 or so registered for rush which drops to around 190 after fall term grades come out.

W&L NIC numbers I think are dropping for various reasons but I don't have the specific statistics. One of the major reasons is that we are finally at a 50-50 male-female ratio. I see us losing 2-3 groups over the next 10-15 years.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator

I remember someone in the Greek Life office once saying that studies have proven that the trend towards going greek goes up when there's a Republican president, and down when there's a Democratic one. I'm not saying that to push an agenda - just a bit of trivia that I found interesting.

The trend on the local campuses is definitely on the upswing.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Absolutely True!

Your Greek Life advisor is correct: there is some general correlation between periods of fraternity/sorority systems' strengthening and weakening, and whether a Democrat or Republican President is in office. However, I can't determine - and I don't think anyone else has done so either - what factors go into making that happen.
Here are the cycles: 1948 (post WWII) through the 1950's Greeks were very strong. Democrat Truman was President for the first four years, then Republican Eisenhower till 1960. Truman was moderate, Eisenhower was conservative.
1960-1970: Greeks were still very strong, but with clouds on the horizon. Conservative Democrat Kennedy then liberal Democrat Johnson were Presidents. Conservative republican Nixon elected in 1968.
1970-1973: Very, very bad time for Greeks. Republican Nixon was re-elected then resigned. Nixon was a conservative, but the social vectors were already in place to bring the Greek system down. Under conservative Republican Ford (1973-1976) and liberal Democrat Carter (1976-1980) things improved somewhat, but the damage of the late 60's/early 70's was hard to overcome.
The 1980's under conservative Republicans Reagan and Bush I saw a fabulous Greek renaissance. The 1990's under liberal Democrat Clinton saw another crash of the system.
Beginning in 2000, which coincides with the election of conservative Republican Bush II, Greek numbers are rising again strongly across the country.
As for an explanation, I have no idea. Maybe it has to do morewith conservative vs. liberal rather than Republican vs. Democrat.

Last edited by Firehouse; 12-27-2003 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:30 AM
GreekChat Member

We want balance more than anything

I love that timeline of rise and fall... I would agree that it is liberal vs. conservative, more than donkey v elephant. I also think that it is human nature (or at least American Nature) to want a balanced society and to fight against the norm.

For example, when society is inundated with one type of social norm, the population will start to reject it until there is a balance within the society again or the balance shifts so far in the opposite direction. We want balance in our lives, that is why we like the checks and balances of government.

I would almost bet that Bush would have to do something very wrong for a Democrat to regain the White House. Not because we like Bush's politics or anything about him personally... more that he represents the conservative side of life.

I think that everything is circular (ie life) and life is striving for balance.
Each day has enough trouble of its own!" ~Matthew 6:34