GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,517
0 members and 1,517 guests
No Members online

Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 AM
GreekChat Member

DU has a few choices for badges:

This Plain Badge is included in the initiation fee for each man

Fancier badges come with Crown Pearls (above), Crown Rubies or Sapphires, and Crown Pearls with Ruby or Sapphire Points.

For the Fraternity's 175th Anniversary, they are offering this unique badge which has a lot of symbolism: Seven Yellow stones for our Seven Stars, Four Blue Stones for our Four Founding Principles, the yellow stones form a chevron which is featured on our coat of arms, the blue stones form the foundation which is the basis of our motto, etc.

A few of the badges come with a White Gold, or Silver option, although the standard is Yellow Gold.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
*ETA: HJ says the sapphires are in fact synthetic. Oh well, they look real!
Most synthetic sapphires look more "real" than your affordable real sapphires now days. The color is more intense and it allows you to get a reasonably sized stone without paying an exorbitant price for a tiny stone that has a lot of flaws and poor color. Your average Kappa sister wouldn't be able to afford that badge outfitted with real sapphires of comparable quality and size to the synthetic stones in that badge. I own a lot of sapphire jewelry, including real and lab created sapphires. It's all equally beautiful!

BTW, here's the link to our badge options AOII Badges

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Last edited by AOII Angel; 11-01-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
One girl last fall heard from someone that all the really wealthy girls buy antique badges to wear, so her mom got her one from a rare badge dealer. It's very pretty, but I would want mine to have my own info engraved on the back - unless it was a family badge. Wearing the badge of someone you never met seems weird to me, but that's just a personal preference.
I have two badges I rescued from eBay - both all pearl. One is from the 30's from a chapter in my province and the other is from the second pledge class from my own chapter from 1947. I love my rescued badges and wear them along with my own badge. You can always have the name buffed out and your own engraved on the back if you want.

Any Kappa can buy a rescued badge from the Keepers. I've only heard of a few chapter women getting antique badges as their personal badge, and most of them have been as a gift from their mom or other relative. PM me if you want more information.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
Good idea, KSUViolets06! Here's a link to ours - you have to click on them to see the choices: Alpha Delta Pi pins. But this is probably my favorite (since I don't see me ever getting the one with all diamonds!):

This is my pin! Most of the girls in my chapter either had this one or the plain one, but I've heard more of them are getting the fancy pins now that ADPi new members are ordering their badges online rather than the New Member Coordinator placing a single order.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

That's a bummer that you can't buy the plain ADPi or KD badges anymore. I think the simplicity is nice.

I think I prefer most of the "object" badges in yellow gold, like AXO, DG, Pi Phi, Kappa, and Theta. Theta in particular, because with yellow gold, their colors are on their badge. I like the use of colored stones when it displays their colors and/or uses their jewels, which is probably why I have a badge with amethysts.

Last edited by violetpretty; 11-01-2009 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This is mine: Crown Pearl Badge. I also have a chapter guard and a dangle for Standards Chairman.

When I was in school, we had a choice of three: this, "Balclad" (gold plated) and one other that escapes me. There are three new badges, two of which have diamonds. I believe the third is a white gold.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
That's a bummer that you can't buy the plain ADPi or KD badges anymore. I think the simplicity is nice.
? You can definitely still get a plain ADPi badge.
Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
As for AST, our badge fee is included in our dues, and we get the most basic form of the badge (without pearls). I actually can't find a picture of one online.
I found a picture!

@~/~~~~
Old 11-01-2009, 07:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUKyleXY View Post

For the Fraternity's 175th Anniversary, they are offering this unique badge which has a lot of symbolism: Seven Yellow stones for our Seven Stars, Four Blue Stones for our Four Founding Principles, the yellow stones form a chevron which is featured on our coat of arms, the blue stones form the foundation which is the basis of our motto, etc.
The special edition badge is really nice, especially considering the symbolism. It's so cool that they thought to release something special for the anniversary. I wonder how common that is among other groups?
Old 11-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADqtPiMel View Post
This is my pin! Most of the girls in my chapter either had this one or the plain one, but I've heard more of them are getting the fancy pins now that ADPi new members are ordering their badges online rather than the New Member Coordinator placing a single order.
I love the look of it - I won one on ebay, and plan to have it made into a ring. It's the perfect setting for one!

ETA: For our 150th anniversary, there was no special pin design, but there was a special dangle.

Last edited by honeychile; 11-01-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Banned

When it comes to gemstones, synthetic is the opposite of natural. It's not the opposite of real. A sapphire made in a lab is a real sapphire, but a man-made one.
________
Volcano vaporizer digital

Last edited by Low C Sharp; 09-20-2011 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend who is an ADPi told me that sisters can't get them anymore, and upon checking hjgreek.com, it appears not, with the "plainest" badge being the rope border badge with 4 pearls.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend who is an ADPi told me that sisters can't get them anymore, and upon checking hjgreek.com, it appears not, with the "plainest" badge being the rope border badge with 4 pearls.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I stand corrected -- you are totally right. I asked my sister (who is an ADPi new member) and she confirmed that the plainest badge is the 4 pearl badge.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Everyone in my college chapter had the plain black and gold badge. I have never heard the term "poverty pin". That is pretty insulting. OUr badge is beautiful in black and gold with no additional embelishments.

We were not given an option to order different ones. A few of the advisors had pearl encrusted badges and I remember being so excited when our ABC let me wear hers to reveal my affiliation after rush from being a Rho Chi She had the big 1" Theta badge and I have always wanted one since then.

A couple years ago I wore my badge to founders' day and stopped by the mall on the way home. I lost my badge- the one I was initiated with and wore all through college. I was devastated.

When I got married this summer, my MOH and sororoty sister gave me a new badge to wear inside my wedding dress. It was very special since we are both very active alumnae and hold Theta dear to our hearts. It was very special.

I recently bought myself a rescue badge from Ebay - a beautiful pearl encrusted badge from 1953. It looks totally new. It is gorgeous. I celebrate my 20th Theta year this January so it is my gift to myself. The collegians from the chapter I advise all remark about it because it as really elongated points and is clearly an older badge.

I am still eyeing that large badge and plan to get it one day...hope to be able to get the diamond one. Maybe if I ever sit on Grand Council....

You don't become a Kappa Alpha Theta, a Theta is something you have always been!