GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,456
3 members and 1,453 guests
AlizaXzd60, bannetattsa680, NikiMussen

Old 10-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyK View Post
This is sad to me. I love my plain pin just as much as my jeweled one. It means just as much to me, if not more, since it's the first pin I got. I hope there aren't alumnae who looked at my beautiful, but plain, diamond pin and shook their heads, hoping to return to a "pleasant" pin stage. This "poverty" pin is one of my greatest treasures, and is plenty pleasant to me.
FWIW, I never, ever heard our plain pin referred to as "the poverty pin" until GreekChat. What's important to most ADPis is the black diamond in the middle - just as our pins come in so many different options, our sisterhood includes women from many different backgrounds as well. In the end, we're all sisters.

Some chapters will only allow aquamarine, blue topaz, or sapphire points, but most will allow almost anything, including opals, and most birthstones.

Last edited by honeychile; 10-31-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Edited due to the vendor
Old 10-30-2009, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I really like the third one. I also find it interesting that we share the black diamond with clasped hands.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh I thought of something else! Aside from the gemstones options, we can also choose the colors of the letters. Without enamel, they are just gold. With enamel, they are black.

I like it better without the enamel. Mine doesn't have it. I think most girls in my chapter didn't have it either. I remember one of my sisters wishing she had gotten it without.

I thought about getting mine with sapphires, but I heard they fall out easily.

Oh oh! I dressed up and wore my badge today! With the guard and dangle and everything!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm still a new member myself, so I'm not sure about badge trends over the years in my chapter, but I have been noticing that there's a wide range of badges among the actives right now - but that, for the most part, the girls who aren't as active, don't come to as many events, etc., tend to have the simplest badge, while the sisters who are really involved, hold official positions, do a lot for the chapter, etc., tend to have jeweled badges.

The fee for the most basic, unjeweled badge was part of our new member fees, and it wasn't an option - everyone had to get one. It never even occurred to me that there might be organizations were it would be optional. But we were shown all the possible upgrades and, if we wanted to order a snazzier badge, we just had to pay the difference. The sisters stressed that there was no stigma either way - it was totally up to us, just that "some girls like having the jeweled badges, but it doesn't matter, it's completely your choice."

They were definitely making sure we didn't feel like we had to pay extra beyond what we'd already known we would be paying upfront, which I appreciate, but I think for most of us the extra cost didn't seem like very much, and several of us have ordered the jeweled badges (mostly, I think, sapphire & pearl or just sapphire). For myself, I ordered mine with enamel on the letters (which doesn't cost extra - among our chapter I think it's about evenly balanced, who got enamel and who didn't, and it's purely a matter of personal taste) and alternating sapphires & pearls (sapphire is my birthstone, so it's extra special to me). It's the same design that my NM chair wears, so I've had the chance to see it up close, and it's just beautiful. I can't WAIT to get to wear it as an active Kappa!!
Old 10-31-2009, 02:46 AM

I want to get a more blinged out badge, but I am terrified of losing it. Those things are not cheap! I already lost Badge #1 (after Preference too. BOO) and this was even WITH the bubble guard on it. BOOOOO I owned it for 7 years and then poof, it was gone. So now I have Badge #2 - plain, 10K gold. I do think that it is beautiful in its elegant simplicity, though.

I don't have a chapter guard, and I'm not really one for dangles and guards. I just want a badge, all on its own, but fully blinged out.

Maybe one day, I will spring for the 'white gold' one, or one with the jewels in them.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 10-31-2009 at 02:51 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 07:01 AM
GreekChat Member

I am joining as an AI & I just placed my badge order last night! (badge prices vary and are in addition to membership fees) I had a hard time deciding as we have options in gold, silver, gold & silver, chased gold, chased silver & white gold; with & without pearls, and really blinged out in jewels and/or pearls. I was told I would not be wearing it that often (as I'm joing as an AI & not collegiate) so in the end I got the style I liked (accented in pearls, not the entire badge in pearls) in silver instead of gold. I just couldn't bring myself to spend more than double the cost for the gold version.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Anne View Post
I hope this wasn't directed at my UCLA comment. I think I need to clarify. It wasn't that they chose to go with the standard one included in the initiation fees. What saddened me was that they didn't respect their badges and didn't care enough about them to even wear them to meeting.
It wasn't. It was directed to the alumnae who would shake their heads at the collegians who chose a plain pin instead of a jeweled one. I understood your UCLA comment and also find it sad that the sisters didn't seem interested in wearing their pins.

ETA: Not too long ago, I chose for myself the pin the ladies at UCLA chose (the white gold chased border from this post), so your story touches me even more.

EATA: I just went to KD's official jeweler's page and discovered that you can no longer order the plain pin I was initiated with. I had no idea!

Last edited by SydneyK; 10-31-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Here is a comparison of a small crown (3/4"X 1/2") badge vs. a large crown (1" X 3/4") badge, with stones at the points:

the standard badge is the same size as the small crown badge. The black enamel on the small crown jeweled badge is definitely smaller than on the standard badge, so that all the pearls or stones or jewels can be fit around the perimeter.

This thread has been so much fun to follow. I love looking at everyone's badge(s). It's like "show and tell" except better, because everyone gets a turn and there's no "time's up!" from the teacher.

It's been especially fun to read what others have to say, and the various trends that have occurred. I look forward to seeing more pictures, and hearing more stories. Love that the new members are excited to wear their badges, and will actually wear "badge attire" to class so that they can wear their badges. This is truly amazing on a campus as casual as the U of A.

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-31-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: hit enter before finished typing!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanqween View Post
I was told I would not be wearing it that often (as I'm joing as an AI & not collegiate) so in the end I got the style I liked (accented in pearls, not the entire badge in pearls) in silver instead of gold. I just couldn't bring myself to spend more than double the cost for the gold version.
As an AI myself, I am amazed that you would be told you would not be wearing your badge all that often. I wish that I were able to wear mine more often, however due to my job I am not able to wear badge appropriate attire - and wear my badge whenever I can. I understand different groups have different requirements of when a badge can be worn but you would think alumnae would have the same number of opportunities to wear their badge as collegiate members as there are the same number of days for both. . . .
Old 10-31-2009, 10:33 AM

Our chapter all got the same badge - plain gold with a chapter dangle. I can't imagine choosing a different badge from the other women in my chapter - it was one of the things that made us unified. Variety is what lavaliers are for. Not only that, the plain badge was enough $$ for the majority of us without getting into the bling. When you go to a school where it snows 4 of the months you're there and rains the other 5, dressing to pin isn't a very common activity, and to spend beaucoup bucks on a badge would have been a total waste.

I'd have no desire - even if I was wearing it on a regular basis - to get a new one. I'm a very proud sister of the Gamma Omicron chapter of ASA. I want to make sure everyone knows that.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post
If anyone is interested .. here's the link to see all our lovely new badge options ...

http://www.alphaxidelta.org/index.ph...ategory=Badges

I got one of the tri-color ( light blue aquamarine and dark blue and yellow sapphires) in a tiffany setting at convention. I love having the new colored stones as options.
How beautiful! I am so jealous that you have opals as an option.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM

Tri Sigma's options are:

http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...tegory_ID=1100

Gold closed pearl
Gold crown pearl
Gold 3 pearl (has pearls only at the 3 points, not all around)
Silver closed pearl
Silver crown pearl
Silver 3 pearl

When I joined, we all got gold in either crown or closed pearl. Silver and 3 pearl weren't available then.

Lakers Nation.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

Good idea, KSUViolets06! Here's a link to ours - you have to click on them to see the choices: Alpha Delta Pi pins. But this is probably my favorite (since I don't see me ever getting the one with all diamonds!):

Old 10-31-2009, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa badges are here... http://www.hjgreek.com/index.cfm?eve...ategory_ID=560

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that of the jeweled badges, the sapphire/pearl is most common. That's the one I have! Here it is:

You can also get pearl, diamond, sapphire or any combination thereof. Most girls in my chapter get either plain or pearl/sapphire. One girl sprung for all-diamond, and it's gorgeous. One sister has all-pearl, but its because she doesn't like that they use "fake sapphires". I didn't know they were fake (or if that's even true), but they certainly look real.* I love my badge anyway!

They used to include the cost of a plain badge in our dues and if we wanted to upgrade, we could pay the extra. It made dues pretty high, though, so now you just pay it all yourself. If my opinion, it all comes from the same place anyway, so you might as well include it... but whatever. It would be pretty much unheard of for a girl not to buy a badge.

One girl last fall heard from someone that all the really wealthy girls buy antique badges to wear, so her mom got her one from a rare badge dealer. It's very pretty, but I would want mine to have my own info engraved on the back - unless it was a family badge. Wearing the badge of someone you never met seems weird to me, but that's just a personal preference.

I've never seen anyone wear a chapter guard or any other accessory, except for the pearl dangle the 4.0 girls get!

There are some really pretty, unusual antique badges pictured in the Kappa History 2000 book. If I can find my copy I'll post pictures.

*ETA: HJ says the sapphires are in fact synthetic. Oh well, they look real!
Old 11-01-2009, 01:21 AM

I have to admit, I was a bit envious of my Theta roommate when she showed me her glossy 8-page catalog illustrating all the options she had for her badge...

My local sorority had only one option: the letters Sigma Iota Phi in silver with an amethyst in the center of the letter phi. (The mother of one of my sisters makes jewelry, and she made our badges and pledge rings.)

Alpha Epsilon Phi has only one option: the letters, in yellow gold, with 27 pearls, on a gold bar. You can get a guard, and add dangles, if you so choose - but the badge is standardized.

On the one hand, I'd love a blinged-out badge, but on the other hand, I know I have exactly the same badge as every other AEPhi, and that's pretty sweet.