GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek History
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek History Fraternity and Sorority historical discussions. Chat about all topics related to Greek history here.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,620
0 members and 2,620 guests
No Members online

Old 12-08-2014, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Founders, Founding Sites and HQs for NPC groups - State by State

I've compiled a state by state listing for the NPC groups. I'd love to get the information for all the groups on here. It is truly is a work in progress and I welcome any additions, corrections or suggestions.

http://wp.me/p20I1i-1WQ
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-08-2014, 11:40 AM

AOII Jessie Wallace Hughan, died 4/10/1955 Manhattan, NY, NY (source: politicalgraveyard)
AOII Elizabeth Heywood Wyman, died 8/30/1953
AOII Helen St. Clair Mullan, died 7/29/1936
AOII Stella George Stern Perry, died 11/7/1956 Brooklyn, NY

Last edited by irishpipes; 12-08-2014 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Irishpipes. The ones who lived in the metro NY area are hard to locate. I do not think the findagrave volunteers have done as much in those cemetaries as they have in midwestern ones.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for posting this. As a history major in school, I have always loved this kind of "stuff". I am amazed at how
influential the Mid-West was in the early development of women's role in Greek Life. I am assuming it is because they were among the first to allow women to attend 4 year institutions.
Old 12-10-2014, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

The University of Iowa was the first to accept women and men on an equal basis. So no surprise it has so many single letter chapters. I had conversations with alumnae who had founders attend their initiations and stuff. Somehow that seems like knowing someone who knew Abraham Lincoln personally.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Harvard was founded in 1636. Its sole focus at that point was to train clergy for the colonies, rather than having to send sons back to England to train for the ministry. It was another 200 years before women were admitted to higher education. Oberlin is generally thought to be the first male institution to admit women, but the fact is that manual labor was part of Oberlin's curriculum and having women to do some of the domestic work made life easier.

In the west, as the midwest was then known, small church-affiliated institutions took shape. Looking at them from a 2014 perspective isn't the best idea. Back then the president was also the chief bottle washer. He (except for women's colleges, Presidents were male) was the chief fund raiser visiting churches and asking for funds to run the college. He may have even served as the librarian. What needed to be done, needed to be done by someone, and the President was often that someone.

There were generally two tracks - Classical and Scientific. Those studying the arts, when those courses were offered, were usually known as "special students." (We're talking pre-1900). Recitation was a big part of a college curriculum.

During and after the Civil War coeducation took a hold, especially in the western states. Female tuition dollars were the same as male tuition dollars and with the men off to war, keeping the doors open took precedence. Also some of the church members who were supporting the institution wanted their daughters educated as well as their sons.

Iowa State was indeed an early spot for coeducation. Carrie Lane (Chapman Catt) was a member of the Pi Phi chapter (when it was known as I.C. Sorosis, Pi Beta Phi was the Greek motto from the beginning). The Greek system at Iowa went on hiatus when the administration forced the organizations off-campus.

The University of Kansas has one of the oldest, continual Greek systems at a state institution (it may be the oldest, continual, but I am doing this from memory and don't have the time to check). It dates to the 1870s.

The established Ivy League institutions opted for coordinate schools rather than coeducation (Radcliffe, Barnard, Pembroke are some of the schools which come to mind). Mount Holyoke, founded in the 1830s, lauched the all-female college.

So, yes, to answer a question, the west (midwest) was much more open about educating women along with the men.

Last edited by nyapbp; 12-10-2014 at 09:41 AM.