GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,292
1 members and 1,291 guests
No Members online

Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
It was an older member who told her where she was on the bid list (and explained bid matching poorly). NOT her bio sister.

/all I have to contribute to this thread.
Reread the second paragraph.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug12 View Post
Bid lists are no longer entered in alphabetically because chapters are given a quota range...not a solid quota number when bid lists are submitted. So it is top scores and down. You only find out quota on bid day.

You were not high enough on USC's bid list to get a bid. It doesn't matter where you were on Rutger's list. If you ranked high enough on USC's list to match before they met quota, then you would have matched with them. If you were#50 on their list and quota was 52' you would have matched even if you were #1 on Rutger's list.
So there is no such thing anymore as "first bid list" "second bid list" is what you're saying? If that's the case then is any "legacies invited to pref must be on first bid list" rule down the drain? Maybe that's what her sister and the older member meant by "top 25" and "top 10" - that legacies get some sort of a point bump during voting that assures they're in the quota range.

I would say sorry to tread on MS but that horse is way outta the barn in this thread. Also, I feel like Chris Farley with the air quotes now.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTheSun View Post
Philanthropy day!

Today was the day! I was so scared to see which chapters invited me back? Would I get a full schedule? Would the houses I love invite me back? Questions were flying everywhere! For some reason, Panhellenic at my school could have passed for directors of thriller suspense movies because they waited until the absolute last second to give us our schedules. Our Rho Gam passed us our schedules and I looked at it but didn't even internalized it, my eyes just glazed at it.

I was invited back to:

1. USC
2. UCLA
3. Wake Forest
4. Pepperdine
5. Arizona State
6. Rutgers
7. UMich
8. Princeton

I was absolutely shocked, both good and bad. Princeton and USC invited me back, which I was relieved of because they were amazing. But UGA and LSU dropped me. UGA was kind of a long shot since I guess they were considered a "top" house, but I did have a good friend in there and I was surprised I didn't get invited back to at least one round. But what hurt the most was LSU. I loved LSU soo much and honestly I would've been content being dropped from half the houses I got invited back to if LSU invited me back. But it is what it is and I still got invited back to 8/10 houses. That 80%.

But oddly enough, I got invited back to UMich, which was a huge shocker since they have the best grades on campus and my GPA was average at best and apparently they always drop the most girls because of their grades and being completey honest, i'd droppped UMich and Ole Miss because I knew they had the highest grades and I didn't think I had any chance of being invted back to them. But I still got invited back to UMich which was amazing!

But worst of all, I got invited back to Rutgers. I wasn't surprised because as a legacy, I'm pretty sure i'm supposed to be invited back to at least one round, so it wasn't a shocker, but I was still annoyed.

Meanwhile, all of my close friends in my Rho Gamma group got invited back to all 10 houses, but I kept reminding myself that I would only be joining one. Meanwhile, one of my friends in a different Rho Gamma group got invited back to only 1 and another friend in a different rho gamma group got invited back to 3. 2 of them she hated and one of them she loved, USC. Luckily we both loved them and got invited back to USC and we even went there together for our party!

So first I went to USC, who was amazing as I expected. at USC I was paired up to talk to all of my good friends in the house. I had great conversations with all 3 of them and the conversations went seamlessly and it was almost too perfect. I didn't remember too much about their philantrhopy or what they actually do, but I still had a great time there and going there first put me in a great mood for the whole day.

Next, I went to UCLA. Their philanthropy is probably one of the most popular on campus and I went to it with my sister last year and had a good time. I loved their philanthropy and their video was so sad. I only talked to two girls there and the conversations were kind of boring, but I still liked them. I was talking to one girl at UCLA and she spilled her water all over me! It was actually really funny and she felt so bad, but since I didn't have a full schedule, I had 2 breaks after this and had more than enough time to dry off.

After my breaks, I went to Wake Forest. Their philanthropy was also really sad and I actually had really good conversations there. A lot better than yesterday. I feel like they got to know me a little better today. But another awkward moment happened today! We were doing their craft which was pretty serious, concerning the topic and I was talking a lot with my hands and knocked lemonade all over the craft.... The girl was really nice about it, but I still felt awful! I was red the whole time and couldn't wait to get out.

I then went to Pepperdine. I liked Pepperdine and their philanthropy video was so sad because a girl in the Pepperdine chapter at my school was affected by it and their philanthropy was really close to home for her, which made them all the more passionate for it which I thought was really sweet. Everyone was talking about this chapter because today they served iced coffee which was awesome because sbeing at the houses longer and having to go back to back was so tiring. Anyway, I talked to really nice girls here and they told me about their philanthropy events, which sounded really fun. I really liked Pepperdine.

Next was Arizona State. Again, their philanthropy was really sad because it was a cause that a lot of people identify with and was close to home for me as well. The conversations weren't as good, but their craft was really fun. We made paper hearts out of dollar bills and put them into the jar of our choice which represented a specific chairty, which was awesome. Honestly their video was really long and their craft was so detailed that we didn't even have time to talk. I hardly remember this house.

The one I dreaded all day was Rutgers. When I got there, surprise surprise, I was picked up by somebody I already knew and somebody I talked to the day before. I wasn't trying to be outwardly rude because I have more manners than that and their philanthropy was one I actually volunteered for a lot during high school, so I showed interest, but honestly it was so hard in this house. Similarly, my sister called me the day before and said she got into a really big arguement with the girls in her chapter the other night during membership selection and decided she was not going to participate in the membership selection portion and just made hundreds of italian sodas all day long. Again, at Rutgers they kept on talking about my sister, which was confusing because she seemed to hate it so much and they kept on asking me how recruitment was going and how I liked Rutgers, which didn't seem right to me and was getting on my nerves because my recruitment wasn't their business and my sister knew I loved USC and she said she told some of her closer friends in the chapter that USC was my favorite, which didn't bother me because hopefully then they'd take the hint.

The next chapter I visited was UMich, who I was excited for because they were giving me another chance and it felt like I was giving them another chance since my conversations during Open House weren't that good. I loved UMich today! Their philanthropy sounded like a lot of fun and I liked what it stood for. And this was the first chapter that actually talked about their social calendar, which was interesting to hear. We talked about swaps, formals, Greek Week and Homecoming, which was interesting to hear!

Last, but definitely not least was Princeton! I was excited to be back here as well, because I had awesome conversations. They definitely pulled at ALLLLL the stops today. They played their philanthropy video, which seemed like it was a commercial or some type of ad because it was made by one of the girls in the house and they looked like models. They video was super short and then throughout the living room they had mini golf! They had those fake golf greens, hot pink golf clubs with hot pink golf balls that had their letters on them. Again, I was extremely impressed with their showmanship. They're considered a "top house", but I had a friend my cheerleading who was in this house and dropped last year. Apparently there was a bit of a scandal and some infighting and about a dozen girls either dropped or got dropped last spring. That scared me, but I still really liked them.

The next day was house tours and we could only got to up to 7, so I could only cut one. I didn't really care for Arizona State anymore, but there was no way I wanted to be in Rutgers, so I ranked Rutgers at the bottom, so I preferenced just like this:

1. USC
1. UCLA
1. Wake Forest
1. Pepperdine
1. Arizona State
1. Princeton
1. UMich
2. Rutgers

Today was a surprise and I didn't think i'd get the schedule I got, but I'm happy with the ones I got back. Now I waited anxiously to see how House Tours Day would turn out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTheSun View Post
Preference day is here!

Today is the day. Preference day is the final day before bid day and it seemed like that week dragged on, but went faster than the speed of lightning.

I put on my best dress, wedges and my favorite necklace and mentally prepared myself for what could have happened. I didn't get a call the night before saying i'd been released. So I could've been invited back to one chapter or both.

Before I left my dorm, my sister called me and told me she had officially sent in her resignation letter and went alum. I was not surprised at all. She told me not to feel pressured and to make the decision that was best for myself and only myself and go with my gut instincts. She said her gut instinct was to drop her sorority before initiation and go through recruitment a second time or do informal, but she got intiated instead regretted it wholeheartedly because now she is bound for life, no matter what.

That definitely scared me and my heart was jumping out of my chest before I left.

We walked to the area where we usually get our schedules and all of the color had been drained out of my face and I had no idea what was going on or what my schedule even was, but I was expecting the worst.

I finally got my schedule and the look on my face was priceless.

1. USC
2. Rutgers

The same schedule as yesterday. I was so excited I made it this far with USC because I had other friends that got dropped from houses they knew a lot of girls in during recruitment and I was so relieved that I got invited back to my number one again. But I still got invited back to Rutgers which amazes me to this day. I left a conversation midway to go to the bathroom andd cry and came back with my face red and tear stained and barely said a word, but I still got invited back.

Luckily I got invited back to USC so I could put my absolute best foot forward and really let them know that this was where I wanted to be and could proudly wear the letters for for the rest of my life.

I walked to USC very determined and one of the girls I talked to earlier in the week pref'd me and I absolutely loved her. She was so nice and I was excited that she was the one pref'ing me. This day was the longest so we talked about everything from how recruitment was going to what stores we could spend our ladt penny at.

She was a senior, so she was talking about how much she loved her chapter and how hard it was to go through recruitment for the last time because it's just another step on the way to graduating and becoming an alum and that made me emotional because the fact that she loved it so much and was so dedicated really made me 10 times more passionate about USC. So I started crying and she started crying and then we were laughing at each other and it was just really nice.

I was crying because I loved them so much and they invited me back every day. I was crying because the girl pref'ing me was so sweet and I didn't want to see her leave her chapter even though everyone eventually does. I was crying because I was afraid of bid day.

After the conversations ended, we went into their living room and other seniors in the chapter were reading letters and then they sang songs and it all was just so moving. My friends in the chapter cried and hugged me at the end and I cried again to and they told me everything was gonna be alright.

I left USC happy, scared, confident and content.

Then I had to go to Rutgers.

Rutgers was seriously scaring me because my sister is an initiated member and per national policy, legacies that make it to preference are automatically put on the first bid list. That scaring the living hell out of me.

When I went to Rutgers, a girl I already knew before who was also the Executive Vice President was pref'ing me. Like any other day I visited, it was awkward.

She asked me general questions like how I was doing, how recruitment was going for me but then she started asking me questions that had me very taken aback. She asked: "So do you know what houses you're choosing? Do you know what decision you're gonna make?" I was stunned.

1. Yes. I knew exactly what decision I was going to make.
2. Why the hell was it her business to ask me? I didn't ask her if they knew who they were giving bids to.
3. As an older woman who holds an executive decision, she should know better not to ask a PNM such a question

But besides all of that, I wasn't going to be outwardly rude or tell her what I was going to do because again, it just wasn't her business. So I just replied: "Yeah, i'm pretty sure what i'm gonna do But making my decision might be a little hard." She then was like: "Well, you look conflicted, I can reassure you." She then was talking about the chapter and all the the things they done and awards and competitions they've won and just how close their sisterhood was and how they weren't like the other chapters that were cliquey and didn't have what they had and I was honestly digusted.

They took us to their living room where girls were singing songs about the chapter and in between, she kept saying how conflicted I look and was telling me more about the chapter that I honestly didn't care about and I was just itching to leave and make my preference. I wanted to leave and crawl out of my skin.

When it was finally over, she gave me an awkward hug and said: "Hope I made your decision a lot easier!"

After we visited all of our chapters, we were allowed to do our final preferencing. I looked at the preference card and read the agreement one last time. One of the Rho Gammas asked me if I needed any help or needed anyone to talk to about what I was going to do and in hindsight I kick myself for not listening to her, talking to my own Rho Gamma because maybe things would have been different.

But all I could think of in my mind was the director of sorority and fraternity life saying 88% of the women who maximized their options got their first choice and I remembered the girl in my Rho Gamma group saying the worst mistake she made last year was suiciding. And I remembered what I had read on Greek Chat saying women who suicided were not eligible to be a quota addition of a chapter.

Tha scared me and so I preferenced USC as first and Rutgers as second.

I turned it in feeling confident about my decision and following the rules.

When I left, I saw my friend who had Rutgers and USC just like me and suicided just USC. She said: "Well if I get a call tonight, that means I didn't get a bid and if I don't that means I got one."

After that, I immediately regretted my decision.

Spoiler: She never got the call that night and now is a proud member of USC.
All the other posts have been quoted, so just QFPing these as well.

OP- you are a great writer. However, there are several elements to the story that just don't add up.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
So there is no such thing anymore as "first bid list" "second bid list" is what you're saying? If that's the case then is any "legacies invited to pref must be on first bid list" rule down the drain? Maybe that's what her sister and the older member meant by "top 25" and "top 10" - that legacies get some sort of a point bump during voting that assures they're in the quota range.

I would say sorry to tread on MS but that horse is way outta the barn in this thread. Also, I feel like Chris Farley with the air quotes now.
This was the new way of doing bids on the campus I help with last year. Greek Life gave us an estimated quota and said rank the PNMS using this quota number. So instead of doing the A list alphabetical and the B list by rank, the entire list is done by rank. I would guess each sorority would have their own way of putting legacies within the quota range to ensure that they are at the top of the overall list.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This thread was a fun read!

I love our GC-NPC sleuths.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
This was the new way of doing bids on the campus I help with last year. Greek Life gave us an estimated quota and said rank the PNMS using this quota number. So instead of doing the A list alphabetical and the B list by rank, the entire list is done by rank. I would guess each sorority would have their own way of putting legacies within the quota range to ensure that they are at the top of the overall list.
This makes sense IF the computer is going to recalculate quota to place the maximum number of PNMs possible. I mean.... seems to me that if you have 100 PNMs at a school with 5 chapters then quota would be 20, but if the computer brain - however the heck it works - determines that quota should be 18 and some chapters end up with quota plus, well, what's a chapter do do? Continually rewrite their first bid list alphabetically with a different number of ladies on it? Nah, if you're going to use this method of setting quota then the ranking method makes sense.... because if quota is 20, then the chapter already shows who the top 20 pick is. If quota is reset to 18, then panhellenic already knows who the top 18 is and doesn't have to ask who the 2 in alphabetical list of 20 should be removed since quota has been reset to 18.
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok my bet here is that the OP is actually the big sister in this story that is fabricating a story because her membership was canceled. Anyone else see this?
Old 09-10-2014, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

OP, did you happen wear sequin tights during recruitment one day?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
This makes sense IF the computer is going to recalculate quota to place the maximum number of PNMs possible. I mean.... seems to me that if you have 100 PNMs at a school with 5 chapters then quota would be 20, but if the computer brain - however the heck it works - determines that quota should be 18 and some chapters end up with quota plus, well, what's a chapter do do? Continually rewrite their first bid list alphabetically with a different number of ladies on it? Nah, if you're going to use this method of setting quota then the ranking method makes sense.... because if quota is 20, then the chapter already shows who the top 20 pick is. If quota is reset to 18, then panhellenic already knows who the top 18 is and doesn't have to ask who the 2 in alphabetical list of 20 should be removed since quota has been reset to 18.
But no matter *how* a group ranks PNMs, if they are a PNM's second choice, their ranking has no effect on whether a PNM gets her first choice. None.

(not correcting you, just reiterating in general)
Old 09-10-2014, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes.... sorry... I wasn't talking about the group ranking versus the PNMs preference. PNMs preference always comes first.... if she is high enough on the bid list .

I like the alphabetical bid lists because I don't like ranking "in general" but since it seems that it's possible that some campuses may be going to quota ranges to let the computer match the maximum possible PNMs based on their first choices before setting a firm quota number, then a ranked list is a better option....panhellenic has to have all the signed pref cards before the computer can even rework the numbers based on the chapter's rankings anyway.

I get the whole maximum placement thing.... but really.... 100/5 = 20.....juuuuust saying.
Old 09-10-2014, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I stand corrected. But still, putting her "top 10" instead of #50 still wouldn't have made a lick of difference. The other chapter had her somewhere below 50, so she still was not robbed of the better opportunity. If she had SIP'd, on bid day she'd have had no home. As it turns out, this would have been the better alternative. But it wouldn't have put her any closer to the bid she wanted.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Reread the second paragraph.
My bad...I was looking at the bolded part where another member told her they put her in the top 10 so they would get her even though they knew she wanted USC.

Paraphrasing because I forgot to quote and am too lazy to go back now.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

My question is, what does she expect a member to say when a NM asks why she got your chapter instead of another? Something like that must have happened in order to have that conversation. I'm sure the member didn't know what to say.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 09-10-2014, 03:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Exactly Maggie! Older sis could easily have told her chapter that HCTS was not interested in Rutgers and that they should not invite her back to the next round. But maybe HCTS sister was actually not in good standing with the chapter, hence the behind the scenes rush job assignment, and the sister submitting her letter of resignation AFTER recruitment. I mean, if she was that unhappy, why wait?

I cannot speak on the membership selection for Rutgers, but I find it hard to believe that a member in good standing would be allowed to opt completely out of membership selection-perhaps she would be allowed to leave the room if she was a sitting sister whose own PNM sister was being voted on, but she would return for the other voting.

If Older Sister had done this, so that Rutgers dropped her before pref, and she went to pref at USC, she would have been guaranteed a USC bid.

It's a shame Older Sister didn't help her out.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
She's bound for life in the sense that she can never pledge another NPC group, whether she self terminated or not.

And if someone did say the school name in this thread I missed it because calling the sororities by names of schools was confusing as balls.
If this s the school I think it is, then members can go alum after living in the house for two years. Maybe the OP is confusing her terminology and meant that older sister moved out of the house, thus taking alum status????

And when the OP said that the member told her about placement on bid list I am thinking that member might have been trying to make OP happy about being there, or maybe OP took it the wrong way. I have had people say things to me to try and cheer me up and what they say, even with good intentions, still makes me miserable. Just a thought.