GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,502
0 members and 2,502 guests
No Members online

Old 05-11-2016, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
Actually no. The last undergraduate chapter died in 1962.

"The historic Zeta Chapter of Delphic was founded at the New Paltz Normal School in 1899. In the 1950s, the chapter had a brief affiliation with a large national organization. In 1962 the organization became a legal not-for-profit membership entity by initially incorporating as The Delphic Fraternity of New Paltz, Inc. In the early 1970s, because of turbulent times and the decline of student interest in Greek life, the chapter became inactive."

"In the fall of 1986, twelve young men became interested in re-establishing the Delphic Fraternity. They were also interested in creating the first multicultural Greek-letter organization at SUNY-New Paltz..."
That's not what they have on their official web site, as they list their Zeta Chapter as being open from 1899 - 2004, uninterrupted. http://delphic-gst.org/chapters/ We are not members and not privy to their internal operations during that time frame. Their chapter time line is good enough for me, and frankly none of anyone else's business.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Delphico7 Send a message via Yahoo to Delphico7
Hello everyone: I am happy to see that other Greeks are talking about the Delphic Fraternity.

I am member of the fraternity and appreciate the conversation thus far. Thank you to those that support the way we decide to promote our history. For those who criticize it, you have the right to your opinion. We do not base our identity on how others see us.

For the record, Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity (a.k.a. the Delphic Fraternity) was re-established in 1987 with the help of alumni from the 1960s/70s who where involved in the process. Our brothers from 1987 did not just take the history of a "dead fraternity," it was handed down to us by living alumni.

As per whether or not our fraternity was multicultural prior to 1987, please note that a member by the name J.M. Gonzalez was a member of our chapter in New Paltz way back in 1902. The first African American member was inducted in 1959. Brothers of Middle Eastern backgrounds joined the fraternity in the late 1960s, and the first Puerto Rican member was initiated in 1970.

Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity has three active undergraduate chapters, two graduate chapters, and two alumni chapters. We hope to be around for another 145 years.

For more information on the history of the Delphic Fraternity, please visit http://delphicfraternity.webs.com
Old 01-18-2017, 02:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphico7 View Post
Hello everyone: I am happy to see that other Greeks are talking about the Delphic Fraternity.

I am member of the fraternity and appreciate the conversation thus far. Thank you to those that support the way we decide to promote our history. For those who criticize it, you have the right to your opinion. We do not base our identity on how others see us.

For the record, Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity (a.k.a. the Delphic Fraternity) was re-established in 1987 with the help of alumni from the 1960s/70s who where involved in the process. Our brothers from 1987 did not just take the history of a "dead fraternity," it was handed down to us by living alumni.

As per whether or not our fraternity was multicultural prior to 1987, please note that a member by the name J.M. Gonzalez was a member of our chapter in New Paltz way back in 1902. The first African American member was inducted in 1959. Brothers of Middle Eastern backgrounds joined the fraternity in the late 1960s, and the first Puerto Rican member was initiated in 1970.

Delphic of Gamma Sigma Tau Fraternity has three active undergraduate chapters, two graduate chapters, and two alumni chapters. We hope to be around for another 145 years.

For more information on the history of the Delphic Fraternity, please visit http://delphicfraternity.webs.com
I'm the original poster of the thread and in regards to my two primary questions...
1) "it was handed down to us by living alumni.", that is good enough for me. I've seen other situations that would make your head spin (Like a Philippine Fraternity that claimed the history of a local *Sorority* with the same greek lettersin Pittsburgh, PA as its founding.
2) My question is not whether the fraternity prior to its inactivation was multicultural, but rather was multiculturalism was a value that it promoted.
Old 01-19-2017, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphico7 View Post

You're welcome, and welcome!