GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,520
0 members and 2,520 guests
No Members online

Old 10-11-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
dog saves family from fire set by cat

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071011/...vErg.xglHtiBIF
Quote:
GREENVILLE, Maine - Thumper, a black Labrador retriever, is getting credit for saving a Greenville man when a fire swept through his home.

Roland Cote said his wife and their 7-year-old grandson were away when the blaze started early Sunday in a converted two-story garage. He said Thumper grabbed him by the arm to wake him, leaving just enough time for him to dial 911 before fleeing the fast-moving fire.
While the dog is the hero, a cat is the bad guy in this story.
Cote said the fire marshal investigator believes the blaze was started when Princess, the family cat, tipped over a kerosene lantern. Cote says he and his pets escaped safely, but he says Princess did get her tail singed by the flames.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlethiaSi
Boy, 3, goes for joyride

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071012/...Zt9sJ7siXtiBIF
[QUOTE][candy-apple red Mustang GT is just a toy, but that didn't stop 3-year-old Jordan Will from taking his battery-operated wheels for a brief ride along a busy stretch of highway. Drivers stopped and neighbors chased down the car until an officer could pull over Jordan and his 2-year-old passenger on Sunday.
"Nothing bad happened, so it's kind of cute now when you look at it," said his father, Doug Will. "But at the time, it wasn't cute at all. It was scary. I was really upset."
The Mustang is decked out with all the extras: a rear spoiler, a premium sound system and chrome wheels.
The boys drove the tricked-out ride through their Omro neighborhood and pulled up to a busy intersection.
"He even obeyed the signs, so that was good. He stopped at the red light and got on the cross walk," said neighbor Jaci Bauer.
Another neighbor, Jason Bauer, panicked when he saw the boys cross over a highway, onto a sidewalk and over a bridge. He gave chase for a few blocks until an officer pulled the boys over.
"By the time we stopped them, they probably made it five or six blocks from home before anyone even noticed they had been wandering around town," Jason Bauer said.
Doug Will had been searching for the boys when he got the call to come get the car.
"He just said, 'We went for a ride, daddy,'" Will said.
All Jordan can do now is sit in the little car. His father has taken away the keys and removed the battery.
Officers said Jordan's dad won't be cited.
Omro is in east-central Wisconsin, about 10 miles west of Oshkosh.
/QUOTE]
Old 10-16-2007, 05:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Phantom Pooper Has City & Businesses Disgusted

We live in Eastern Idaho where it's not hard to get a breath of fresh air.

But one local neighborhood can barely breath because of a disgusting stench in the air.

A phantom pooper is taking a squat in the back of one Idaho Falls neighborhood...

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/10405117.html
Old 10-16-2007, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

This is pretty stupid...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21334238/?GT1=10450

SCRANTON, Pa. - A Scranton woman who admitted shouted profanities at her overflowing toilet within earshot of a neighbor was cited for disorderly conduct, authorities said.

Dawn Herb could face up to 90 days in jail and a fine of up to $300.

But I think this one might take the cake on stupidity

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12784368/

Fuming NYC bride sues florist over flower color
Lawsuit seeks more than $400,000 over color of hydrangeas

NEW YORK - The wedding was lovely, except for the flowers: They were the wrong color.

So says the bride, Elana Glatt, who was so upset that she sued the florist and alleged breach of contract.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post

NEW YORK - The wedding was lovely, except for the flowers: They were the wrong color.

So says the bride, Elana Glatt, who was so upset that she sued the florist and alleged breach of contract.
First of all, spending nearly $28,000 on flowers for your wedding is crazy. I bet this chick was a bridezilla. I'd be pissed off, too, if the flowers weren't what I ordered, but what makes her think she can sue for $400,000?!
Old 10-17-2007, 04:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUADPi View Post

Okay, so when I first heard about this story, I too was shocked and figured it was outrageous... BUT there are some more details that the abbreviated press versions haven't included (but are included in the court documents):

- The bride specifically chose this florist because the florist guaranteed a specific variety of hydrangea that the bride wanted (and was willing to pay 27K for) and the bride paid $1000 to have a mock centerpiece made in advance, which was done properly. The breed of hydrangea actually provided was a MUCH less expensive breed and was not as coordinated to the colors of the room. I'm not saying wedding flowers have to be, but when you are willing to shell out 27K to have what you want, I think you should get it and not a substitute.

- The florist delivered many of the flowers unarranged, the vases were dusty, and she arranged many without enough water. The bride herself was arranging the flowers right before the ceremony.

So, while I think 27K is a ridiculous amount of money to spend on flowers and would never be so picky myself, if you contract for a more rare breed of hydrangea and get a common breed at the last minute that are not presented professionally, I don't think it is unreasonable to refuse to pay.

I'm not sure on what website I read this, but I'm pretty sure I read that the bride offered to settle for 4K before she sued. My guess is that this bride is trying to teach this florist a lesson, probably for the benefit of other brides who would otherwise be tricked into paying an absurd amount of money for cheap, everyday flowers. If all that the florist had to shell out was 27K, I doubt that would be enough deterrant to stop the bait-and-switch practices since most people won't sue. If the florist flat out lied and possibly committed fraud, punitive damages may be entirely appropriate. More money for damages (maybe not 400K) might be completely reasonable to punish the florist and deter the florist from continuing with this practice.

Last edited by skylark; 10-17-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Totally grody!

Woman stabs tied-up lover to drink his blood

I don't know if she thinks she's a vampire (hey, it's almost Halloween!) or she really, really admires Angelina Jolie: The Billy Bob Days.

Old 10-24-2007, 11:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Cane94G8r97
Quote:
Originally Posted by scbelle View Post
Woman stabs tied-up lover to drink his blood

I don't know if she thinks she's a vampire (hey, it's almost Halloween!) or she really, really admires Angelina Jolie: The Billy Bob Days.
Sounds like something we might see on an episode of Law and Order!
Always a Zeta Tau Alpha \^^^/
Old 10-24-2007, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cane94G8r97 View Post
Sounds like something we might see on an episode of Law and Order!
That'd be a GREAT one! I heart that show.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
We live in Eastern Idaho where it's not hard to get a breath of fresh air.

But one local neighborhood can barely breath because of a disgusting stench in the air.

A phantom pooper is taking a squat in the back of one Idaho Falls neighborhood...

http://www.kidk.com/news/local/10405117.html
I'm watching the show "Life" right now, and it features a Phantom Pooper. It is probably too recent to be based on the Eastern Idaho story, though. I guess Phantom Pooping is something that afflicts a small but significant portion of the population.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

This just falls under stupid just because....

http://www.nbc4.com/news/14516979/detail.html

I wonder how she thought she wasn't going to get caught....
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nikki1920 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1920
ummm...there are easier and legal ways to get attention on a college campus.
she's not the brightest bulb in the pack..
Old 11-14-2007, 11:13 AM
GreekChat Member

A woman in Florida made a startling discovery over the weekend when she found her boyfriend stuck in her house’s cat door, News4Jax.com reported.

The girlfriend of Charles Tucker Jr., 33, had reportedly kicked him out of her St. Augustine home. Hours later, she found the man stuck in the small door and called police. When they arrived four minutes later, the man was dead, News4Jax.com reported.

"He's a big guy. I don't even know how he could fit through there," Tucker’s friend, Will Elliot told News4Jax.com. "Probably to get in and unlock the door. They said he had one arm through there and his head was caught in there like he was to reach up and unlock the door because there's no way he could fit through there."

Cops are currently awaiting autopsy results.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,311198,00.html
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 11-15-2007, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Say NO NO NO to HO HO HO

SYDNEY (AFP) - Santas in Australia's largest city have been told not to use Father Christmas's traditional "ho ho ho" greeting because it may be offensive to women, it was reported Thursday.

Sydney's Santa Clauses have instead been instructed to say "ha ha ha" instead, the Daily Telegraph reported.

One disgruntled Santa told the newspaper a recruitment firm warned him not to use "ho ho ho" because it could frighten children and was too close to "ho", a US slang term for prostitute.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20071115...ristmasoffbeat
Old 11-15-2007, 08:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Santa going "ha ha ha"? Just wrong.