GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 2,305
2 members and 2,303 guests
LaneSig

Old 04-15-2003, 04:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Angry Best Friend Argument

My best friend tells me that if you are initated and dislike yoru Panhel sorority you are in, you can defilliate and request to be cleared of that, and join a different one a year later. I am very shocked by that though. I can't even understand why you would want to quit, but he is in IFC and I assume it may be different then Panhel. At least for us, I am nearly positive that when you join one, it's for life. And if it's sigma kappa, why would you want to quit? :-)
Also, I say if you quit, you have no other possibility after initiation. Even if your chapter shuts down...
Arent' I correct?

Last edited by SigKapKatzue; 11-15-2003 at 02:09 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-15-2003, 05:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Some Answers

I think your friend may be a little confused between new member and initiated member. If you pledge an NPC sorority and de-pledge BEFORE you are initiated, you must wait a year before you are eligible to pledge another sorority. If you are initiated into any NPC sorority , and you decide to terminate your membership/disaffiliate (whatever that particular organization calls it), you cannot join another organization at any time. If a chapter is shut down, its members are typically given alumnae status, but are still members of the national organization. I don't know about NPHC sorority policies, though...
Hope that answers your questions.

~ ShyViolet

Sigma Sigma Sigma
Old 04-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Don't know about PHC groups.. but..

With Sigma Nu to actually disaffiliate after being initiated you must petition the High Council. If they grant it and then you go and join another group I guess it's up to that group whether you get to join them or not.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 04-15-2003, 09:51 AM

Shy Violet is 100% right...doesn't matter if you self terminate or your chapter is closed, if you have been initiated, you cannot join another NPC group EVER.

You can join a service sorority, a social-professional sorority or a local, but not another NPC.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
Don't know about PHC groups.. but..

With Sigma Nu to actually disaffiliate after being initiated you must petition the High Council. If they grant it and then you go and join another group I guess it's up to that group whether you get to join them or not.
This is consistent with the NIC's by-laws. One NIC fraternity can initiate a man previously initiated by another NIC fraternity if the national office of the first fraternity verifies in writing to the national office of the second fraternity that the man in question is no longer a member of the first fraternity.
Old 04-15-2003, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MysticCat81
This is consistent with the NIC's by-laws. One NIC fraternity can initiate a man previously initiated by another NIC fraternity if the national office of the first fraternity verifies in writing to the national office of the second fraternity that the man in question is no longer a member of the first fraternity.
Although I can't think of any circumstances where I'd actually be in favor of such a person.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
ShyViolet is right. If you disafil. before initiation then you have to wait a year before accepting a bid from another chapter. If you disafil. after initiation that's it. You can't join another house.
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
If you disafil. after initiation that's it. You can't join another house.
Yup. There is no such thing as a "sorority annulment" so it's best to be sure of your decision, prior to initiation, because once you are initiated into an NPC, there is no going back.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
Yup. There is no such thing as a "sorority annulment" so it's best to be sure of your decision, prior to initiation, because once you are initiated into an NPC, there is no going back.
The NPHC system works the same way. You are pretty much a member for life.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:22 PM
GreekChat Member

I know a girl who transferred to my school and rushed a sorority after being initiated into one at her old school. The girls never found out about it though. I'm sure that kind of shadiness isnt rare in situations where people transfer from different schools.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
I know a girl who transferred to my school and rushed a sorority after being initiated into one at her old school. The girls never found out about it though. I'm sure that kind of shadiness isnt rare in situations where people transfer from different schools.
The only way to stop that would be for groups to share membership info. I wouldn't be very comfortable with that. You're right though, that's really shady on her part for not disclosing that. What did she do, burn all of her old sorority's memorabilia?
Old 04-15-2003, 02:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure what she did with all of her old shirts and things like that, but she never went through with it. She dropped the day of initiation, just never showed up to it. She was worried that they might one day find out her "past".
Old 04-15-2003, 03:33 PM
GreekChat Member

What does everyone think about this?

Say a member of your GLO terminates their own membership. Should he/she give back things like letters? Like especially ones that were passed down through the "family?"

I ask because this happened in my chapter. A girl quit the sorority and disaffiliated, but refused to give back the passed-down stuff so that it could be passed on to new members once they were initiated. She also wouldn't give up her pin, arguing that she paid for it. But the pin is the property of the GLO technically, and a person who is not an initiated member shouldn't have it, IMHO. And I could be wrong, but I think you're supposed to send it back to nationals. I also don't think a non-member should have letters. We couldn't figure out why she wanted to keep the stuff, since she made the decision to leave and they obviously meant nothing to her.

So what does everyone else think?
Old 04-15-2003, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: What does everyone think about this?

Quote:
Originally posted by SSS1365
Say a member of your GLO terminates their own membership. Should he/she give back things like letters? Like especially ones that were passed down through the "family?"

I ask because this happened in my chapter. A girl quit the sorority and disaffiliated, but refused to give back the passed-down stuff so that it could be passed on to new members once they were initiated. She also wouldn't give up her pin, arguing that she paid for it. But the pin is the property of the GLO technically, and a person who is not an initiated member shouldn't have it, IMHO. And I could be wrong, but I think you're supposed to send it back to nationals. I also don't think a non-member should have letters. We couldn't figure out why she wanted to keep the stuff, since she made the decision to leave and they obviously meant nothing to her.

So what does everyone else think?
Perhaps she wanted to do something naughty in 3S letters, to make you all look bad. Sororities do this quite often at our school, especially to sororities who steal other sororities bus ride songs. You know what I mean, SSS1365?
Old 04-15-2003, 09:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: What does everyone think about this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber
Perhaps she wanted to do something naughty in 3S letters, to make you all look bad. Sororities do this quite often at our school, especially to sororities who steal other sororities bus ride songs. You know what I mean, SSS1365?
Ya know Timber, I'm not sure I get you with the whole bus ride song stealing thing.

Anyway, no this girl was not the type to do anything bad, and she never did. But she would still WEAR the letters, even after "disaffiliating" (but didn't do anything naughty in them )