GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,525
0 members and 1,525 guests
No Members online

Old 05-13-2014, 06:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
I'm sure they are open to it or the A&M Panhellenic wouldn't have put it into play as an option.
The majority of chapters approving it is not the same thing as all the chapters regarding the BT pnms on an even footing with A&M pnms. I would hope that would not be a problem, but have heard some rumblings. My hope is that it will work for the benefit of the chapters and the BT pnms.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-13-2014, 06:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Since NPC says you have to be enrolled full time at the institution where the chapters are, how does this impact the chapters' ability to pledge the woman? In other words, being allowed to participate in recruitment may not = being allowed to pledge.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
So many questions....

1. How far is Blinn from A& M in terms of mileage?
About 3-4 miles, I think?

Quote:
2. If you're only allowed to take one class per semester at A & M, and assuming 3 credit classes, how can you finish 15 credits in 2 years?
I think with Summer School, etc...?

Quote:
3. Can you get a degree from Blinn? What if people change their mind and decide they just want to stay there?
Not sure, pretty sure it used to just be a 2 year jr. college back in the day, but now I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
The majority of chapters approving it is not the same thing as all the chapters regarding the BT pnms on an even footing with A&M pnms. I would hope that would not be a problem, but have heard some rumblings. My hope is that it will work for the benefit of the chapters and the BT pnms.
Agreed. I think everyone thinks it makes sense and talks a great game, but for reasons Tichou mentions below, I can see how it might become an issue for some of the chapters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Since NPC says you have to be enrolled full time at the institution where the chapters are, how does this impact the chapters' ability to pledge the woman? In other words, being allowed to participate in recruitment may not = being allowed to pledge.
Exactly. This is why there are so many unknowns at this point. Will be interesting to see if A&M publishes some sort of pledge percentage of BT ladies. My understanding is that BT ladies ARE considered A&M students, so as a technicality, they are able to rush/pledge...?? Someone who understands the intricacies of the BT program can probably explain better

Last edited by shirley1929; 05-13-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added to last para
Old 05-13-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
So many questions....

3. Can you get a degree from Blinn? What if people change their mind and decide they just want to stay there?
It's a junior college, so only 2-year degrees
Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

FYI - UT-Austin is doing something similar with their PACE program (students are enrolled at Austin Community College). On the UT Panhellenic website, it is mentioned that PACE students can participate in Sorority Recruitment. So, it appears that this might become more common in the future with various schools.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:50 PM

Where is this coming from is probably the most important question to be answered to ascertain how this will be received.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:30 PM
GreekChat Member

It is my understanding that the University asked that the restrictions be lifted.

UT lifted their restrictions last year so it was inevitable and not if but when A&M would follow suit.

How the chapters receive these girls is in the hands of membership selection process of individual chapters
My thoughts are that it is going to take a while.

Last edited by Just interested; 05-13-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-13-2014, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Students from private schools (like the OP), as well as competitive suburban high schools, where it is very tough to get into the top X%, are overrepresented in the Blinn Team group. The university is more or less saying that it believes they are A&M material, and it would admit them if the law permitted it to. Putting them into university dorms says a lot about the university's confidence in them. It's not a typical community college population. Interesting program.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low D Flat View Post
Students from private schools (like the OP), as well as competitive suburban high schools, where it is very tough to get into the top X%, are overrepresented in the Blinn Team group. The university is more or less saying that it believes they are A&M material, and it would admit them if the law permitted it to. Putting them into university dorms says a lot about the university's confidence in them. It's not a typical community college population. Interesting program.
This is my hunch as well, but is it fact/documented anywhere?

It's what I was intimating in my initial post to the OP, but of course, I have no idea if she really falls into that category or not.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I recently spoke to someone in the greek life office on the phone who informed me that the decision to allow BT students to rush was just made on May 1st. Apparently there are some sororities that will not be allowed to accept blinnteam students because it states in their bylaws that the student has to be fully enrolled in the university. Any idea which sororities that might be? Also, would it hurt my chances to go through rush as a sophomore?

Last edited by TXbelle13; 05-13-2014 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

TXbelle13, no offense but you're going to be VERY recognizable with that information up--you may want to redact that to ensure your online security, etc. Many TX sorority women who are involved in the recruitment process are on here and will able to find you out from what you just said. Your decision, of course.
And we cannot comment on "your chances" individually-- membership selection is private, and kept strictly in house. Sophomores obviously only have three years of membership and as such are at a disadvantage over freshman who can contribute four years of time and dues. Someone from TX can comment more on that situation.

Last edited by johansla; 05-13-2014 at 04:50 PM. Reason: grammar fail
Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I looked it up to double check for the PACE program at UT, and while PACE women may go through recruitment at UT, some sororities will not be able to pledge them because of their national restrictions. The decisions are being made by the individual chapters. I would assume the same groups would do this for Blinn women at A&M. I would be prepared for heavy cuts - as if you were a grade risk (which I believe is one of the concerns?).
Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQWest View Post
I looked it up to double check for the PACE program at UT, and while PACE women may go through recruitment at UT, some sororities will not be able to pledge them because of their national restrictions. The decisions are being made by the individual chapters. I would assume the same groups would do this for Blinn women at A&M. I would be prepared for heavy cuts - as if you were a grade risk (which I believe is one of the concerns?).
This is my understanding as well. It's definitely a gray area that has become potentially black & white due to some national restrictions/bylaws/etc...

WARNING: HUGE GENERALIZATION FOR PURPOSES OF EXAMPLE AHEAD...

What I mean by that is that you have Person A who went to uber-competitive small private high school and is in the top 20% of a class of geniuses, but doesn't get into A&M or UT in the traditional way because of it. Person B goes to Podunk High, in a class of 300 that only 1/3 is headed to any sort of higher education. Person B is in the top 5% of her class, gets into A&M & UT in the traditional manner, but really may not be fully prepared to be in an academically tough environment.

The argument to be made is that Person A might be on Blinn Team (or PACE) AND completely ready for competitive higher education, as well as the demand of a sorority, is well-liked, well-rounded, great recs etc... But, because of individual group rules/bylaws, may not be able to receive a bid. Panhellenic is letting them go through, but the groups themselves will have to make the decisions as to whether or not they can extend them an invitation or eventually a bid.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out this year.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirley1929 View Post
This is my understanding as well. It's definitely a gray area that has become potentially black & white due to some national restrictions/bylaws/etc...

WARNING: HUGE GENERALIZATION FOR PURPOSES OF EXAMPLE AHEAD...

What I mean by that is that you have Person A who went to uber-competitive small private high school and is in the top 20% of a class of geniuses, but doesn't get into A&M or UT in the traditional way because of it. Person B goes to Podunk High, in a class of 300 that only 1/3 is headed to any sort of higher education. Person B is in the top 5% of her class, gets into A&M & UT in the traditional manner, but really may not be fully prepared to be in an academically tough environment.

The argument to be made is that Person A might be on Blinn Team (or PACE) AND completely ready for competitive higher education, as well as the demand of a sorority, is well-liked, well-rounded, great recs etc... But, because of individual group rules/bylaws, may not be able to receive a bid. Panhellenic is letting them go through, but the groups themselves will have to make the decisions as to whether or not they can extend them an invitation or eventually a bid.

Will be interesting to see how it shakes out this year.
Yes. This would seem to be another unintended consequence of Bush's 10% rule (now 8%) that was to help students from underrepresented groups and rural areas get in to the top schools in Texas. On the one hand it has made for a more diverse student body and has really helped continue to grow the program. On the other hand, some of these students will struggle with the rigors of a huge university and grade inflation is running rampant at schools that historically would have sent more students to UT or A&M.

(Meanwhile, Bama, Auburn, and U.Ark. are happily accepting the students from the 9-10% from those top uber competitive schools.... )
Old 05-14-2014, 12:48 PM

If that's the case then I think those sororities should have to disclose that they can't pledge these women. That's not membership selection, that's a hard and fast rule (like you can't pledge if you're a dude).