GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,179
2 members and 1,177 guests
AlwaysSAI

Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
Here is my dumb question. Why do they call them song girls when they are a dance group?
Lots of high schools in Southern California have or have had Song Girls, I'm sure the SC Song Girls were the inspiration. Yes they are a "dance" group, but they performed to the school "song." My HS' Song Girls wore uniforms almost identical to the USC Song Girls. Some years they had a music note on their uniform. USC has a competition cheer team as well.

True Lives to Live From Day to Day

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-02-2012, 05:32 PM
GreekChat Member

At Stanford they are called the Dollies. It's just a name, like Song Girls. Tradition. Best Pac 12 cheer/dance girls are at UCLA and University of Oregon! They are very athletic, gorgeous, and have great choreography. USC Song Girls, eh, not so much. Eye Candy for the most part.

Back to recruitment! Bids at what time tonight at USC??
Old 09-02-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Night at SC

Women are to meet at 7:00 p.m. PT to receive bids. Once they are received the women "run" to the row to celebrate with their new sisters. Most of the parties are on the front lawns of the chapter houses. Some have themes and can be elaborate. There are no classes on Monday due to the Labor Day holiday.

With over a thousand women registered and nine houses participating in formal recruitment new member classes may be the largest ever.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

@pearly

My daughter was NOT released by her legacy house and other than the 3 sororities that didn't invite her back 1st round, she has been invited back to all of her top choices for rounds 2, 3 & pref. She'll find out tonight where she is a nm, but she will be happy in either! The reason I inquired about certain sororities releasing other chapter's legacies was because those so-called "competitor" sororities were the only ones who released her. It just makes me think that when sororities X, Y, & Z had to make cuts, they just said cut anyone who's a legacy to chapter W at the first round. I know required cuts were heavy and trust me as Mamagreek, I am ever so thankful that the rest of the week went so well. Keeping my fingers crossed for bid night!!! Thank you.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Highly likely that your daughter will get a bid from her legacy chapter if she went to pref there and ranked them first. No telling what the other three chapters were thinking... Of course I don't know which houses you are talking about exactly but I do have a good idea. The conspiracy theorist in me immediately thinks that might be too much of a coincidence! In any case, I am glad she had such a wonderful experience and found a new home. Congratulations!

Last edited by Pearly; 09-02-2012 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Ditto
Old 09-02-2012, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

With Release Figures Management, the chapters with the highest returns to their parties (historically) are required to release more women. Grades and recs can be easy cuts to meet those release figures. Some chapters may assume that a legacy will go to that chapter and cut legacies to other chapters also. Some may not. There's no way to know why your daughter was cut from those three. There have been discussions on GC about whether to put legacies on the Panhellenic forms or not at certain schools. Some have felt it was a disadvantage to have that information out there. Others think it doesn't make a difference. Some chapters take great pride in "stealing" a legacy from another chapter too. It can go either way.

Bottom line- She'll end up where she is meant to be
Old 09-02-2012, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my best friends has a son in a fraternity at USC. They extended their bids yesterday. According to my friend, all of the fraternity guys get their lawn chairs, etc. and line the "ROW" to watch the new members run to their sorority houses. Nothing unusual with that. But apparently the fraternity men refer to it as the "Running of the BITCHES" ! To quote Stephanie from Full House: "HOW RUDE" !

Any USC GC'ers care to comment? Do other schools call it this also??
Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 PM
GreekChat Member

@AGDee:I had originally said something about the "legacy stealing" but I was trying to be all sweet and Panhellenic and edited my post... I was actually thinking collusion to explain why they all dropped her right away
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueOwl View Post
One of my best friends has a son in a fraternity at USC. They extended their bids yesterday. According to my friend, all of the fraternity guys get their lawn chairs, etc. and line the "ROW" to watch the new members run to their sorority houses. Nothing unusual with that. But apparently the fraternity men refer to it as the "Running of the BITCHES" ! To quote Stephanie from Full House: "HOW RUDE" !

Any USC GC'ers care to comment? Do other schools call it this also??
First off, recruitment has been INTENSE.

As for what the running to the row tradition is called, in my years at SC there have been various names. As far as I was aware there isn't one 'official' name in Row lingo.

This however is a pretty hilarious short video of the running to the row, as inspired by the running of the bulls in Pamplona

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd0xqBBRbWQ
Old 09-02-2012, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

If any of you read my thread of my daughter's recruitment know but this....she would have taken out anyone who said something rude to her or another woman she would have taken them out. Yep...all 105 pounds of her.

Congratulations to all the new members! Have the time of your lives.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

I actually think the guys really look forward to the girls running by on bid night...and they are lined up waiting for them on University. Wouldn't that be foolish to be yelling out insulting things as hundreds of beautiful girls go running by?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:41 PM

I find out where a girl I know joins tonight, I'm so excited for her!
Old 09-02-2012, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Delta Delta

Delta Delta Delta took 90 new members. This is the largest number of new members in the history of the chapter which has been on the row for 91 years.

The numbers in the classes must be record breaking.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Wow! 90 new members for Tri Delt! Awesome! Hoping Trojan GC'ers can get the numbers for all of the houses. What was quota? Were cuts really extreme?
Old 09-02-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Delta Delta Delta took 90 new members. This is the largest number of new members in the history of the chapter which has been on the row for 91 years.

The numbers in the classes must be record breaking.
WOW! Fantastic! Can't wait to see pictures =)

ΔΔΔ

$15 Million in 5 Years for St. Jude