GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,667
2 members and 1,665 guests
Overthinker, Sister Havana

Old 05-16-2019, 07:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Want to Drop My Exec Board Position

Hi all!

This past election cycle, I was elected to an exec board position that I was in love with. I came into the position with so much enthusiasm. Since then, I’ve lost nearly all of it. The politics of the position are something I never got used to— I’ve had disagreements with some of the people on my committee, and it seems that advisors have taken their side. Any mistakes I’ve made in the position have been harshly focused on and criticized. I have no doubt that I’m not a perfect leader, but I’m no longer sure that this position is the best for my mental health. I also need to consider graduate school, but I feel so guilty abandoning my position. I fear I’m taking the easy way out.

Has anyone ever been in my situation before?
Old 05-16-2019, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Without knowing more detail, it is hard to give advice. I would probably speak with your adviser in private and share your concerns. Ask if she has training materials if the conflicts stem from an approach that others don't think will be successful. Talk to whomever in the chapter you are closest to and ask them for an honest opinion. If your committee, your adviser and your best friend all tell you your approach is not the best--don't take it personally. Maybe the position isn't a great fit.

If after talking to those around you, you think you can't perform your elected duties, step down with grace. Don't let the experience ruin your overall chapter commitment. Some people are better Indians than Chiefs. Each chapter needs both.

If you are able to learn from the experience, either from advice given or additional training, and you can complete the balance of your term you will have grown considerably.

I would at least pursue all avenues before just resigning. Either way, you will feel better about the outcome in the long run.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:29 PM

It REALLY depends what your position is. The advice for a treasurer and the advice for a membership chair would be vastly different.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I know it can be really hard to have an exec position when you are having trouble with an advisor. I've been there. But if you have any desire to stick it out, it can be really rewarding. I am currently in my second term on exec after a really hard first term in a different position.

However, if you really feel like is severely damaging your mental health, it might be good to take a break. I've had a few friends who had to leave their position for that reason, and ultimately, it was the best choice for each of them. What I suggest is this- now that the semester is over, take the time to speak with your advisor on your own. Express your concerns, and ask her for advice. If speaking to your specific advisor makes you uncomfortable, reach out to the chapter advisor. It's possible that things will calm down this summer. That's what happened to me.

You can learn a lot from a position that challenges you. Really tough offices can be the most rewarding. Remember that position I mentioned earlier that was really taxing on my grades and mental health? Once I reached out for help, I was able to start doing a much better job, and our chapter won an award for most improvement in that area. Things can and do get better.