GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,356
4 members and 2,352 guests
Kevin, Sen's Revenge

Old 07-30-2006, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma's approach post-summer conference..

Delta Gamma, at it's national convention this summer, did an extremely effective OPEN discussion on hazing from the collegian perspective this summer -- and provided amnesty for any chapter who wanted to arrest the problem before August 1. They invited all chapters to come forward with honest requests for assistance.

We really put our money where our mouth is, in terms of programming support and elimination of a problem kept secret in women's groups.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2006, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp
When I "Pledged" a Fraternity of which I did not become a member of, the only hazing was pledge clean up on the common floor and line ups.

When I started a local, there was no hazing except what I mentioned abouve.

Of course that was then and this is now.

Oh, if making "Pledges" do study time, we did that, but of course that is hazing now. We also required Actives to spend time studying as We were there to make grades and graduate.

That is honest as I can be and am proud of the fact! We asked Men to join us and felt an obligation to them to get them active and be frutful memebers.

But as You said, that was a long time ago!

So you guys did cleanups/lineups/study hours. Sound like what 99% of the "hazing" chapters do today. How can you speak out against the stuff, if you did it yourself? It must of had a purpose if you chose to do it?

Last edited by bows&toes; 07-30-2006 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

We did all of it. I look back upon it fondly.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I look back at doing all this stuff ("hazing") when I pledged, and sure, I thought it sucked at the time but those were some of the best times of my college career. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Pledgeship is the best thing you never want to do again.

Quote:
While I would need to dig through some records for details, I do know that SAE has put the hurt onto "big"/"prominent" chapters when they have crossed the line. I know MIT was shut down several year ago.
Bull. I know several top SAE chapters that haze like crazy and are not shut down. MIT is not a top chapter by any means.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:10 PM
GreekChat Member

If MIT is a top chapter for any fraternity, wow.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

MIT shut down SAE for serving alcohol to a female minor from a different college. They had two beautiful, historic townhouses in the Back Bay that were 2 doors down from one another. I always wondered about the occupants of the privately owned home that was between them.

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/1999/sae2.html

Last edited by alum; 07-30-2006 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks you for doing the research on this.
I do have to wonder what "At the time, SAE was supposed to be alcohol-free as a the result of earlier violations." where.

I know that use of alcohol, around pledges, was part of the hazing charges ( among others ) against my chapter.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Study hours are not hazing. Study---the point of college
Old 07-30-2006, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk
Pledgeship is the best thing you never want to do again.

Bull. I know several top SAE chapters that haze like crazy and are not shut down. MIT is not a top chapter by any means.
Elephant;
I will be more than happy to put you into direct contact with The Brother in charge of Risk Management. Saw him at a meeting a month or two ago and exchange regular e-mails. All I will say...well maybe I can not say what is going on........

Perhaps MIT was not a perfect example for SAE but I did post others awhile ago for other GLO. Do not have time to find every single chapter that has been closed but I am willing to bet that is is far more than you and I both know of.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Elephant was referring to huge Prominent, probobly Southern, chapters of SAE......that haze and really do whatever they want and don't ever get touched......which is nice.

When they start cracking down on places like SAE Alabama.......then that "cracking down" argument could maybe be used.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

study hours and learning information is NOT hazing.

house cleans ups in my opinion are not hazing either

line ups on the other hand TOTALLY sound like hazing.

When I think of what is hazing and what is not I ask "is this actually beneficial to the chapter at large?"

If the answer is yes it's probably not hazing. If the answer is no then it is most definitely hazing.
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Old 07-31-2006, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Alright then. What are the benefits of lineups? They test the knowledge of the pledges, make them depend on each other, make them responsible for each other.

What is the benefit of a road trip (in this case, dropping them somewhere and making them accomplish something, or get back to the fraternity house)? Once again, requires the pledges to overcome difficulty and personal disagreements in order to achieve a common goal.

Basically ALL hazing has a point. The only hazing I really think is stupid, is that which recklessly endangers (hitting them, making them take risks that really are dangerous, exposing them to the elements for extended periods...). All the other stuff has a point behind it.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon1856
Thanks you for doing the research on this.
I do have to wonder what "At the time, SAE was supposed to be alcohol-free as a the result of earlier violations." where.

I know that use of alcohol, around pledges, was part of the hazing charges ( among others ) against my chapter.
My brother was a MIT SAE in the late 80s/early 90s and said that his chapter's problems were always alcohol-related (serving minors) issues and never hazing. The problem was that the chapter was already in trouble for committing similar infractions in the past. Despite knowing the consequences, they continued to do so until they were shut down.

A freshman boy from a different MIT fraternity had died only a couple of years before that from alcohol poisoning and the university was finally taking more of an in loco parentis role in regards to student life.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macallan25
Elephant was referring to huge Prominent, probobly Southern, chapters of SAE......that haze and really do whatever they want and don't ever get touched......which is nice.

When they start cracking down on places like SAE Alabama.......then that "cracking down" argument could maybe be used.
What about the "crack down" on the University of Texas chapter? Suspended through Fall 2005 and on probation until this fall for hazing. Or does UT not count as a prominent chapter?

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)