GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,189
1 members and 2,188 guests
No Members online

Old 02-17-2013, 04:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Rushing the SEC out of state

Hey y'all! I'm a Junior at a High School in Virginia. I will be attending an SEC school, most likely University of South Carolina after High School. I was just wondering if y'all could fill me in on how competitive it will be for me to get a bid if I don't know anyone at the school I'm going to. Approximately how many of the freshmen rushing get a bid. (percentage wise) Oh and I know that extra curricular activities and grades come into play soooo- I have a 3.9 GPA and I'm in DECA, Student Government, BETA Club, NHS, and Varsity Baseball. So to sum it up-Is there anyone I should contact before rush? How competitive is rush at University of South Carolina? Will it hurt that I know no one there?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-17-2013, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

As a Junior, you should be concentrating on school and making sure you get into South Carolina if that remains your top choice. Keep up the extracurriculars and grades.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot

Last edited by WCsweet<3; 02-17-2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Can't read and thought this was for sororities
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I obtain recs though??? I feel like I could get a recommendation from my Grandfather's neighbor and close friend (My grandfather lives in South Carolina and I go there for every break from school.) My grandfather's friend went to USC and is now in his 50's and was in Kappa Alpha Order, he has known me my whole life and we often go fishing. Is one recommendation enough to get in? Because I don't know of any others that I could get...oh and thanks a lot for the help
Old 02-17-2013, 05:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Um... this is in the Fraternity Recruitment forum.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-17-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
In other words, Palmetto - you don't need recs.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-17-2013, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think you're confusing the rules and procedures for sorority rush with fraternity rush. It's not ANYWHERE near the same thing. You're over thinking it.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzTheta View Post
Crap. Sorry. Bad head cold. Blame the cold meds.

Beginning half of my statement still stands. Concentrate on grades, extracurriculars, and getting into USC.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 02-17-2013, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

I hope you feel better soon. Being sick is not fun, WCsweet... kind of wondered b/c that post was not 'zactly like you!
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Every out-of-state guy I know who rushed at an SEC school (and I know a lot through my college aged son or through the parents) received bids, pledged and initiated into fraternities. South Carolina does have a GPA requirement to rush, but with a 3.9, you are well above it. By the way, everyone I know who attends South Carolina absolutely loves it. One of the girls I did a sorority rec for last year says there is a lot of unity among the Greeks and that everyone supports each other's events.

Keep the great GPA going and maintain your extra-curriculars throughout senior year. Registration for recruitment will probably open around May of your senior year. First, though, you need to get accepted at USC, so make that your focus for now ! Recommnedations are not the norm for fraternity recruitment. If you know some fraternity alums and there is a chapter at USC, never hurts to have them send in a good word, but this is not something to be stressing over. Just rush with an open mind -- be willing to give all the houses a fair shot, put your best foot forward, look for a good fit and your chances for a successful recruitment should be good.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Hmm, so what y'all are telling me is that recommendations are a requirement for sororities but not fraternities?? And thanks a lot greekdee for the reply, it really helped clear things up and make me feel more confident about ruhing out of state.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto21 View Post
Hmm, so what y'all are telling me is that recommendations are a requirement for sororities but not fraternities?? And thanks a lot greekdee for the reply, it really helped clear things up and make me feel more confident about ruhing out of state.
Yes, that's what we are telling you.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I suggest you just get a good taste of the fraternities at USC. Not everyone has a house so don't limit yourself to housed chapters. But yes you should be focusing on HS for now.

Personally I got to visit USC for a regional convention my fraternity held and it was so overwhelming. The school is huge compared to mine. Get to know the campus as a whole.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Yes, recs are needed for SEC sorority recruitment, but not for fraternity recruitment. One of the big differences between the two is that sororities are under quota and can only extend a certain number of bids. Fraternities don't have quota requirements. If they like 50 guys, they can extend 50 bids. If a sorority likes 50 girls, but quota is 40, not everyone can receive a bid.