GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,412
1 members and 2,411 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 06-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

i am so impressed with your memory. you made me really feel sorry for fishing.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-28-2007, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I <3 this thread
Old 06-28-2007, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't wait for the next half!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
i am so impressed with your memory. you made me really feel sorry for fishing.
I'm glad that I kept my Rush Booklet with my notes. I do have some very vivid memories of the whole thing though. I think that's mostly because of how traumatized I was. That whole fiasco at Football is something I'd love to forget but I have a feeling that that memory will be with me to my dying day.

I felt bad for Fishing too. They were making a really good impression up until the song. If only they could have kept up the momentum. This whole issue goes back to the thread about the pressures of meeting quota. It can really have a deflating effect on a chapter.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:38 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
YaY for more!!
Old 06-29-2007, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

This is my favorite retro thread so far! I usually have such a hard time remembering which chapter is which as the story progresses, but with your visuals matching the descriptions, I really can get a feel for how each chapter is!

I'm kind of mellow, so I think I like "diving," but I'll save my final opinion until after I read the rest!

KEEP POSTING~ It makes my work day go so much faster!
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Day two

Thanks for posting. I'm glad people like the visuals. I've always had a tough time keeping the chapters straight too. I guess people are reading so......on with the show.

The next day we had another 9 chapters to visit. I was still nervous but very determined to see it through.

I met my Rush group and overheard some girls talking about the girls they had met the previous day and mentioning them by name. I thought, “Darn it! I didn’t remember to write everyone’s name down. Why didn’t I think to do that?” I felt stupid. I’m horrible with names but I made a mental note to try to remember names and write them all down.

The first house we went to was a smaller one, both architecturally and in terms of the number of sisters. I was happy that we were starting with one that wasn’t as intimidating as some of the others. I was paired here with a sister and another rushee. We both took turns answering questions and the girl we were with, Melanie, was nice. I don’t remember much about it (my notes are pretty sparse) but I got a feeling that they were very sweet. I’ll call them Cycling.

From there we went to a sorority with a very pretty chapter house. Here I met a girl named Amy who I liked a lot. She was easy-going and very friendly. The general impression I got of this house was that it was elegant. The girls were enthusiastic but not overbearing. I liked it a lot. This one will be called Tennis; a sport I was comfortable with and enjoyed.

Once we left Tennis, our Rush Counselor told us we had to hurry to get to the next house and we had a little bit of a walk. I had thought that we were in the area where all the sororities were but it turned out that there were another 5 on The Row.

We got to the next party and the girls streamed out of their house yelling and clapping. It was a sea of blonde hair and I thought, “oh no!” I was paired with a nice girl named Eilene who was very bubbly. I ended up having a nice time at this party despite feeling a bit out of place. They were so high energy and so….BLONDE! I’ll call this one Sunbathing.

Next up was a smaller chapter. I felt awkward here. So far I had felt comfortable with the small chapters but not at this one. I got the sense that they were trying hard to compete with their bubbly, blonde neighbors but feeling defeated by the effort. A girl named Peggy took two of us and tried hard to keep the energy up. While she was nice, I felt horribly uncomfortable. I’ll call this chapter Bowling. Gutterball.

I feel bad about this but the next house is a complete blank. I know it existed on campus, I know I went there during Rush, but I have absolutely no recollection of it whatsoever and no notes. I’ll call it Surfing just for the hell of it.

At the next house my immediate impression was that these girls had to be the most smiley, adorable girls ever! I was impressed that they still had so much energy after such a long day. I was paired with a girl named Helene who was cute as a button and very sweet. We had the usual talk. I really liked this chapter! They were just fun and happy. I’ll call them Ice Skating.

At the next house I was paired with a girl who was very talkative and very loud. She was friendly, I guess, but at the same time a little abrasive. She talked “at” me instead of talking with me. I took advantage of being with a talkative girl by keeping quiet most of the time. It was a nice breather. The girls all seemed enthusiastic but I didn’t feel like I fit in here at all. (I know this can’t be true but in my mind I remember my rusher smacking on gum the whole time. I think it’s more likely that I met her some time after Rush and she had gum in her mouth and I’m mixing up the memories.) At any rate, this chapter will be called Hockey for being a bit too “in my face” and aggressive.

Next, we had to hurry again to get back from The Row to the other area for our last two parties. I had gotten into the swing of things this day and was actually starting to enjoy meeting new people.

We lined up in front of our next house. After being on The Row where the chapter houses all look alike from the exterior (except for the landscaping), it occurred to me just how different this house was. Once inside, I found that the girls were different too. The girl I was paired with, Kathleen, was funny and friendly. I liked her but at the same time I didn’t feel right there. I felt out of my element and wasn’t sure why. Maybe if I was asked back I would feel more comfortable the next time. (Ha!, if I got any invitations back at all.) I'll call this one Golf.

By this time I was both mentally and physically exhausted. Thank goodness we were going to the last house of the day.

But, whoa!, what a house! It was very impressive, very regal, and the girls seemed to fit the chapter house too. Most were blonde and very well-mannered, prim and proper. They were friendly but a little aloof. I had a nice conversation with the girl I was paired with, Joyce, but I was so tired by this time that I almost didn’t care. I thought about how wonderful it would be to be one of these lovely girls in this majestic house. I tried my best to stay talkative and upbeat despite knowing that these girls would never take me in a million years. This house is definitely Polo; very elite.

Despite my exhaustion at the end of the day, I felt a tremendous sense of accomplishment. I had made it through the first round of Rush! I knew I had a lot ahead of me but I felt I could handle it.

I didn’t keep anything with the schedule of events on it, however, I vaguely remember that we picked up our invitations the next day and Set of 10 started the day after that.

I’ll be back with an update on my invitations later today!

Last edited by Leslie Anne; 06-29-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

hooray!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Whew! I don't know that I would have survived that round 1. Go Leslie!!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:41 PM
GreekChat Member

The way you paired your descriptions with the sports is simply ..... perfect! Love the graphics but really like how you tied the personality with the sport and your interpretation of the house!

All your pics remind me of my coffee mug that says 'Make Your Own Damn Dinner" and "More Medication Please". Love those retro ladies!
Old 06-29-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAOPi View Post
The way you paired your descriptions with the sports is simply ..... perfect! Love the graphics but really like how you tied the personality with the sport and your interpretation of the house!

All your pics remind me of my coffee mug that says 'Make Your Own Damn Dinner" and "More Medication Please". Love those retro ladies!
I love Ann Taintor!

I have a general idea of who is who, and I am ignoring all geographical clues. I will probably have a hard time picking out my chapter because I think we reorganized in 1984 since I think there were some drug issues. Good call on the reorganization, HQ.

Last edited by violetpretty; 06-26-2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm intrigued!

Please keep going - I'm hooked. I graduated from a large Midwest Univ. in 1979 and things seem soooo similar to my experience. You write so well, I feel like I'm living my own rush experience all over again.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Definitely hooked, as well. I'm really proud to call you a sister, too!!!
Old 06-29-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the compliments, ladies! I'm glad you're enjoying my thread. I love that I now have cheerleaders in FSUZeta and AlwaysSAI. I only wish I had them back then.

Jess is too funny. She's been sending PMs with guesses about which sorority is which. She's doing a good job but I've got an ace up my sleeve that'll keep her confused until the bitter end.

Oh, and thanks Kathy. You're a sweetheart. AOT

I just got home so I've got to quickly change into my sweats and take care of a few household things. I'll be back to post my invites in about 30 minutes.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

this thread is wonderful, i love the visuals and the way you've decided to name them (polo, very elite) - it's so creative. i've given up reading most of the retro threads but this one is like honey's, hooked til the end