GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,955
1 members and 1,954 guests
Titchou

Old 09-12-2006, 08:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, I thought angelica_arin was one of the more sensible new posters here. She recognized right away that without one of the traditional reasons for AI she is better off looking into alternate organizations.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather17 View Post
Maybe we should have BetaRose's list stickied o the top of the forum? That might help solve all kinds of challenges.
I've added it here.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

More organizations

I also wanted to add

Sigma Delta Chi
(Society for Professional Journalists)
http://www.spj.org/
Old 09-13-2006, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
I also wanted to add

Sigma Delta Chi
(Society for Professional Journalists)
http://www.spj.org/
The list appears to be more for general interest-type sororities, not professional based ones.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:27 AM
Banned

I included it because Theta Sigma Phi was mentioned in the list.. which is a professional fraternity for women in Journalism and Communications. It is now more commonly known as The Association for Women in Communication... just as Sigma Delt Chi (which I mentioned) is now more commonly known as The Society for Professional Journalists.

http://www.womcom.org/about_us/history.asp

and:

"Description: Records of the Theta Sigma Phi professional fraternity for women in Journalism and Communications. In 1972 Theta Sigma Phi became Women in Communications. Includes certificates and awards, handbooks, publications, minutes, programs, reports,..."

http://web.library.uiuc.edu/ahx/uacc...1&SG=67&RS=161

and

"What became known as the Beta Alpha Chapter of Theta Sigma Phi was established at the University of North Dakota in 1921. The group was originally known as Matrix until 1946, when the group joined Theta Sigma Phi. The organization is a national honorary society for women in journalism and communications. The objectives of Theta Sigma Phi were five-fold: to work for a free and responsible press; to unite women in all fields of communication; to recognize achievements of women in journalism; to maintain high professional standards; and to encourage members to greater individual effort.

In 1972, the national organization was renamed Women in Communications, Inc"

http://www.und.nodak.edu/dept/librar...ons/og766.html
Old 09-13-2006, 09:30 AM

I personally think it will help a lot if the sticky thread actually lists the most main connections you have to have in order to become an AI with a NPC sorority. I was under the impression after reading that thread that anyone, even without connections can contact them by themselves. This causes quite a confusion to those when I read some other threads. By just saying you can be an AI if you're a professional leader, or housewife, doesn't really help.

From my personal belief, as long as I found a group that I can connect with, it doesn't matter if it's an NPC group or not. So I found the list of alternatives to be helpful. Which makes me believe those who pursue AI with NPCs without any connection are those who just want to wear the letters because they are huge. If they have friends there, then I understand. I go for a group that is active and I can make friends with and do things together. NPC or not, it doesn't matter to me. I know my reason why I look for a group.

So my point is, I wish the sticky thread can clear those misconceptions somehow, if you want to avoid these threads in general. That's just my 2 cents...

And SmartBlondeGPhB, whether I sound like a troll to you, do I really care at all? or does it even matter to you?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueangel View Post
I included it because Theta Sigma Phi was mentioned in the list[/url]
I think that it's a different Theta Sigma Phi. The one on the list says its purpose is to educate disabled students and doesn't say anything about journalism/communications.

I think there's a separate list out there somewhere of professional organizations with greek letters. The ones on that list, and that are pertinent to this thread, are general membership type groups.

/sorry to the OP for this hijack.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelica_arin View Post
I personally think it will help a lot if the sticky thread actually lists the most main connections you have to have in order to become an AI with a NPC sorority. I was under the impression after reading that thread that anyone, even without connections can contact them by themselves. This causes quite a confusion to those when I read some other threads. By just saying you can be an AI if you're a professional leader, or housewife, doesn't really help.

So my point is, I wish the sticky thread can clear those misconceptions somehow, if you want to avoid these threads in general. That's just my 2 cents...
Well that might help you, but it's not information that you're necessarily entitled to. That information is NOT public for most groups and can vary from case to case. As has been discussed here on GC a ton, it is NOT GC's place to list the membership policies of various organizations. Many groups are NOT open to some Jane Doe walking in off the street saying hey, I wanna be a member.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I personally think it will help a lot if the sticky thread actually lists the most main connections you have to have in order to become an AI with a NPC sorority.
It's been discussed at length and closed. It's not a good idea. None of us on here can officially speak for our sororities, and we are not "in the market" for AIs, and making a list creates the impression we are.

Once again, GC is not the Mall of the Sororites, we don't want people shopping here. (Researching, looking, browsing, whatever you want to call it)

And may I add, a wise GCer once said "Wanting to know, even for a good reason, is not entitlement to know".

AI is not easy, and no one here can help make it any easier or give you any shortcuts.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaRose View Post
FYI - They are 2 different groups. The social sorority was founded in 1907, and the journalism group was founded in 1921.
OK thanks for clearing that up. I'd like to read about the other group... do you have a link?

Don't these groups Trademark their name?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Well that might help you, but it's not information that you're necessarily entitled to. That information is NOT public for most groups and can vary from case to case. As has been discussed here on GC a ton, it is NOT GC's place to list the membership policies of various organizations. Many groups are NOT open to some Jane Doe walking in off the street saying hey, I wanna be a member.
I guess I could understand that, but it's kinda funny when you see threads like "Shopping for sororities" come out with girls trying to find a place without any connections, and others have to explain to every single thread like this that if they don't have the connections, it's hard, but not impossible. A general statement might help, to avoid future threads like this. Just to give them heads up, you know?

But i understand a policy is a policy, of course GC doesn't have a say of what other NPC's policies are....that's another of my 2 cents again
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess I could understand that, but it's kinda funny when you see threads like "Shopping for sororities" come out with girls trying to find a place without any connections, and others have to explain to every single thread like this that if they don't have the connections, it's hard, but not impossible. A general statement might help, to avoid future threads like this. Just to give them heads up, you know?

But i understand a policy is a policy, of course GC doesn't have a say of what other NPC's policies are....that's another of my 2 cents again
Of course, if people came to GC who were potentially interested in AI, and they read some of the threads to get more info, they'd find this out pretty quickly.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

The "Shopping for Sororities" thread was sort of a "What not to do" sort of thing - think of us as the Stacy & Clinton of AIing. Apparently, you didn't actually get around to reading anything of it except the title.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Of course, if people came to GC who were potentially interested in AI, and they read some of the threads to get more info, they'd find this out pretty quickly.

yeah, though it was still a bit confusing to me, haha but I can't help but to wonder why some others haven't look into the possibilities of these other sororities that BetaRose posted, or at least didn't have too many threads about their experiences in those sororities. They really seem like a great alternative too. I mean, why would you want to join a sorority out of no where that most of the time (and I mean "most" not "all") they accept members based on some sort of connection with the group, and yet the potential AI has no connection with the group or whatsoever and just say they want to join?

oh well...let's just say I'm always confused
Old 09-13-2006, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I mean, why would you want to join a sorority out of no where that most of the time (and I mean "most" not "all") they accept members based on some sort of connection with the group, and yet the potential AI has no connection with the group or whatsoever and just say they want to join?

oh well...let's just say I'm always confused

Although I can't say for sure why potential AI'ers with no connection to an organization would be interested in joining, but my biggest fear as an active alumna is that the potential AI'er would be looking to join for superficial reasons. One girl even came through here & admitted that she thought she'd have better chances at finding a husband through joining a GLO.

I know thats why I seem automatically skeptical of any potential AI'er who comes to GC & seems to be "shoppping" for an NPC organization to join.