GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,135
0 members and 2,135 guests
No Members online

Old 05-02-2002, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs down Never haze the Chancellor's son

Possible hazing incident injures SUNY chief's son
By Matthew Daneman
Democrat and Chronicle
(May 1, 2002) — The Brockport Police Department and State University College at Brockport police are investigating the injuries that sent two SUNY Brockport students to the hospital -- one of them the freshman son of SUNY Chancellor Robert King.
Both students were taken to Strong Memorial Hospital on Sunday with infected leg wounds. The two freshmen, Nello DiGiandomenico and James L. King, remained hospitalized Wedneday -- DiGiandomenico in guarded condition and King improving to satisfactory condition.
Police in Brockport were trying to determine if the students were victims of illegal initiation activities at the school.
King was "not even real clear on how he sustained the injury, and that's where the allegations of hazing come in," said university spokeswoman Shannon Doolin. "When you have a group like that with similar injuries, we're immediately a little suspicious."
It remained unclear when the injuries occurred. The students' ages were not immediately disclosed.
According to a statement by SUNY Brockport Vice President for Student Affairs Marion Schrank, hazing is being looked at as a possible factor in the injuries.
The chancellor traveled to his son's bedside in Rochester and said "I am very grateful he is expected to recuperate."
Hazing, or forcing fellow students to do ridiculous, humiliating or painful things, is illegal in New York state. The university urged students to alert authorities if they think any other students were placed at risk.
"I am confident (SUNY Brockport) President Paul Yu and the Brockport staff will take appropriate action following the completion of their investigation," the chancellor said in a statement.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:20 AM
UMgirl

Since I'm from Rochester (and I'm wondering how Hoosier found, possibly looking up...nm, the article. I love my city and everything but the D and C is nothing big) I'll fill in some details.

Robert King is not only the Chancellor of SUNY Brockport but he is also the former Monroe County Executive, which is probably the main reason why this article is a big deal.
Anywho, Doyles son and the other freshman are members of the fraternity Delta Sig. Delta Sig is a local that disaffiliated from the National Org. Delta Sigma Phi because of their past conduct. The members of Delta Sig spoke out and said that the boys got the injuries after they were all fooling around and wrestling at the house. However, King's son told others that he could have gotten the injuries from a bike ride that he took. Either way these are currently ALLEGATIONS and no one is sure what happened. Both males are in satisfactory condition now.