GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,236
4 members and 2,232 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD, Xidelt
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 01:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
To see them walk away because they didn't get a pick that Greek Rank would approve of is crazy-making.

You're kidding, do they really?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-29-2015, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
You're kidding, do they really?
Greek Rank is just on-line tent talk and some of them listen to it. Longhorn Mom and her daughter basically took the Greek Rank stuff to heart and walked away from some really great chapters. Those numbers that Longhorn Mom was using? She got them from Greek Rank.

Last edited by KDCat; 08-29-2015 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Yea, when you look at the bid day pics, chapter officers, activities, etc of the "struggling, bottom, no one wants" Texas chapters you seelarge chapters with gorgeous girls involved in every conceivable campus activity, including queens and campus leadership, but they are still trashed. So myopic. Oh well, it does keep out some problem members with attitude, so maybe it's all good.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Holy cow. So glad I never went to Texas. My prayers and sympathies are with any lady who rushed there. O.o Seems more brutal than other SEC. My first rec girl rushed there, but she went DG--out of state gal, a soph. She felt AXiD were too pageantish.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Hey, those of us from Florida might think it was a RELIEF not to have to get heat stroke walking to 19 houses as I did at FSU many years ago.

But sorry, at the end of the day PNM's should be welcomed to every single house on the campus.
You're not kidding! Or sprinting from the Sigma Sigma Sigma house to Alpha Xi Delta house or your house in heels in 15 minutes!
Old 10-10-2015, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Mom View Post
This sums up my perception exactly. The greek system at UT is not big compared to the size of the school but it attracts the cream of the crop. A friend whose daughter rushed at Alabama said that at Bama, there is a house for any girl who want to go greek....not so at Texas. Texas greek life is absolutely elitist, especially at the 'top' and 'mid' tiers and even to some degree at the 'low' tier. I imagine a new chapter would have a very rough time of it at Texas.
I think it depends how you define "cream of the crop".

It attracts those who define themselves as such.

Every bit more I read about UT makes me more pleased my daughter chose not to rush.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
the rankings I used were my own. I'm an '85 UT grad and have a solid sense of rankings as I saw things back then and see things now...not much has changed. There is one chapter that was the high end of the low tier that has moved up a few spots. There was a mid tier that has dropped to the low tier.

The first time I read about the Big 6 article in Texas Monthly was when my daughter decided to go through rush in March 2015. I knew when I was at Texas in the early 80's that the Big 6 were the Big 6. It's almost a caste system at Texas. The frats have a little more movement but the sororities are pretty static.
Quote:
The UT sorority houses are stunning, actually. The 'stately mansions' of the SEC, like the Aggie houses, are newish, big, brick blocks with columns stuck on. The sorority houses at Texas are unique, historic and often built with native rock. They are on expensive real estate. They are special, which is why Texas sororities in particular will not go out and "build a new house" like other chapters might.
Quote:
This sums up my perception exactly. The greek system at UT is not big compared to the size of the school but it attracts the cream of the crop. A friend whose daughter rushed at Alabama said that at Bama, there is a house for any girl who want to go greek....not so at Texas. Texas greek life is absolutely elitist, especially at the 'top' and 'mid' tiers and even to some degree at the 'low' tier. I imagine a new chapter would have a very rough time of it at Texas.
Quote:
The thing is this: pledging XYZ sorority at U of H is not the same at all as pledging XYZ at UT. The sororities vary so much based on the school that it's at.

Texas is on it's high horse, for sure....having 100 year old chapters creates that...nothing new on this. Not saying its right, but that's what it is.
She's baaaack. And editing like crazy, as usual. So QFP fast, folks. Missed catching the post where she shared that Special Snowflake accepted a COB at a chapter that was "beneath her" during formal. Oh boy.

ETA: moms like this one are a huge part of perpetuating the tier talk and the nastiness. She's carrying stuff from 30 years ago around. You'd think she'd get tired of carrying all the baggage, but apparently not.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 10-11-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
On tiers: it's hard to get away from tier talk for anything. Universities are ranked, class rankings determine college acceptance, we get the top 100 restaurants, etc. This is standard stuff in life today....and it's OK. You are taking it personally and there is no need to do so.
Ranking restaurants is NOT the same as ranking people. You, dear, are ranking people. It doesn't get any more shallow than that.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
On edits: yes....my typing skills are weak. I'm glad I can fix things after the fact.

On tiers: it's hard to get away from tier talk for anything. Universities are ranked, class rankings determine college acceptance, we get the top 100 restaurants, etc. This is standard stuff in life today....and it's OK. You are taking it personally and there is no need to do so.

My friend's daughter who rushed at Bama this year said her daughter got dropped from "all but the 2 bottom tier houses". She accepted a bid from the 2nd to the bottom house...her own words. Mom and daughter are thrilled. Her daughter eats breakfast/lunch daily at the house and is having the time of her life. Mom said that if her daughter had gotten into one of the mid/top tiers, they would've "eaten her alive". Does mom's description of that house being "bottom tier" mean those girls aren't of good girls, have value and aren't cute? No.

On the 30 yrs ago: not at all; you don't seem to know the greek culture at Texas but I do. It's different. Not much changes there on the existing sororities. Ask any student/mom with experience in it.

No nastiness on my part for sure, so not sue why you are being so negative towards me. If it's due to my ranking, see comments above.

Have a great Sunday!
Bless your heart. No amount of explaining is going to get through that thick skull of yours. Or your thin skin, either.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 10-11-2015, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

I swear, I just can't stand it!!
Old 10-11-2015, 01:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
Bless your heart. No amount of explaining is going to get through that thick skull of yours. Or your thin skin, either.
She's going to need more than her heart blessed at the rate she is going....
Old 10-11-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradesTrue View Post
Ranking restaurants is NOT the same as ranking people. You, dear, are ranking people. It doesn't get any more shallow than that.
Although at least there are some Yelp reviews that have a modicum of wit.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

So much social climbing with this one.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:05 PM
GreekChat Member

No nastiness on her part?!?! LOLOLOLOLOL

Except where she blatantly called specific houses worthless trash, before she edited her posts...
Old 10-11-2015, 04:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Classless.

Closed Thread