GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,269
2 members and 2,267 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17

Old 05-11-2010, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you everyone! I am definately going to use ideas from everyone. I am thinking a few rolls of quarters is my favorite so far! So obvious, but easy to overlook. I also am thinking that I will encourage my brother to get her a backpack or messenger bag and fill it with school supplies (notebooks, pens, pencils, hi-lighters, scissors, markers, dry erase board, paper clips, thumbtacks, stapler, etc. Stuff that's easy for a guy to think of!), and I will get her a laundry basket and fill it with living essentials. I saw the Purex laundry sheets today at the store, another great idea! I am going to keep an eye out for lighted make-up mirrors. I had one in college and it was a lifesaver. I like what Raggedy Ann said... Useful is meaningful!

I'll clarify on my meaningful statement though... I just always think of the Willow tree figures, Pandora beads, other collectible items as the traditional "meaningful" stuff. I am NOT that kind of person, but she is. We're at opposite ends of the girliness spectrum. However, my sister is SOOO excited for college (as I was). She has "senioritis" very badly right now, and would leave northern Ohio for OU tomorrow if she could. I think something like this will be a big hit with her. AND it will help my mom out down the road.

IKEA has a simple tool kit that I already marked down to get her, as well as a hanging shoe organizer caddy that hangs right on the closet pole (not an over-the-door type). I just have to make sure not to go overboard, or I'll break my budget! Always easier said than done, though.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-11-2010, 07:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok so not sure how much your wanting to spend but i graduated last year and the present I recieved that has definately had the most use is my vera bradley weekender bag! I never knew how much id use it, but its the perfect size and i litereally use it almost every weekend its great
Old 05-11-2010, 07:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Electric alarm clock - yes, even if they use their phone for an alarm clock. A colorful beach towel - useful for the summer AND later. One of those folding chairs that fold up into a bag. Not for the dorm room so much as for outdoor fun. She could keep it in her car trunk.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Double check about quarters for laundry because I know my school only used quarters in a few dorms my freshman year. Mostly you used your zipcard. Then my sophomore year, laundry became free. However, I would have loved quarters for the turnpike and vending machines
Old 05-11-2010, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok thought of a few other things that I found extremely useful...the shower robe thing (especially if it a communal bath i saw a really cute one the other day from walmart for like 10 bucks), and EYE MASK!!! (mine wasnt a gift but a suggestion I thought was dumb before I moved in, the day after i went a purchased one my roomie was an insomniac that wanted all the lights on ALL night),shelves for above the bed (from BB&B they have two shelves and hooks and cup holder...love it!!!), coffee pot, small jewlry box, and then hangers (the velvet ones that hold clothes easier and take up a lot less space in the closet) hooks, baskets, towels, a lamp, pretty paper!
Old 05-11-2010, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: somewhere in an area where we usually get all four seasons :)
Send a message via AIM to sceniczip
Also, it wouldn't fit in the basket but consider putting everything in one of those plastic drawer unit things. My sophomore year my dorm had a wardrobe only, no dresser, so I used the plastic drawers to hold more clothes.