GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Alumnae Initiation
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,454
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, nathnpetrovo648
» Online Users: 1,545
2 members and 1,543 guests
oncegreek, PrettyBoy

Old 07-29-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Hi I'm new here =)

Hi! I'm new here and was really excited to learn the opportunities for AI. I'm a recent graduate from a state school in a city that wasn't so huge on frats/sororities. In fact, we didn't even have houses for them, how sad! (That's because half of the school body were commuters, just like me)

I'm transferred into this school when I was a junior and was totally new to the idea of sororities. I remember during orientation, there was a period where we get to meet some of the orgs and greeks on campus. I was approached by the one group, got interested and started the rush process.

The only thing that sucked about commuter universities is that you always have to watch the time, if you need to take the train that is. And the rush process became really rough for me. To put the story short, I didn't receive a bid and later on learned from one of the ladies that the reason why I didn't get one was because I was a commuter and I needed to be able to commit lots of time into the sorority.

After that, I was hesitant to rush again next semester fear of being rejected for the same reason. I ended up being involved as a Student Orientation leader, student ambassadors, professional societies in my major and a honor society. Despite being involved in school, trying to manage my grades, I also held two part time jobs outside. So I understand what their concern was. But at the end, for two years, I've been feeling something is missing in me. I always wanted to be a part of a sorority.

When I found out that AI exists, I was so thrilled. I hope my age is not a problem (I'm only 23, though I look 17, hehe, I guess it's an asian thing)

I'm thinking about going for a sorority that I know a few ladies there and they have a chapter at our school. They are really lovely ladies who work hard and being active in school while having a great time (I regretted for discovering late and not being able to rush. I was gonna go for my masters and prepare to rush for them, but plans changed because my school screwed up with my graduate assitantship...booo) And I will contact my friend for more details. =)

I know this is a bit off subject. I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there's no asian sororities in NPC, right? I was also trying to look into some asian sororities that have AI that I could also look into, but end up with nothing. (sorry that it isn't NPC related, but I was just curious)

I hope with now having more time, I can do something that I always wanted to do and help to make a change to our society. And I'm always up for meeting new people and such.

So I guess, that's my intro. I hope it's not too boring =) and it's nice to meet you all and kudos to those who created this board =)

Edited: Take away the reference to a specific sorority. Thanks for the reminder, sorry about that >_<

Last edited by cutie_cat_4ever; 07-29-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-29-2006, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutie_cat_4ever
I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there's no asian sororities in NPC, right?
There are no "Asian" sororities in the NPC. There are also no "White" sororities in the NPC, despite that some people will erroneously refer to NPC sororities as such.

Alpha Sigma Tau used to have a link about Alumnae Initiates right on their HQ website, but that link does not work anymore.

As a side note, Alpha Sigma Tau has an anchor for their symbol, which makes them AWESOME, though I could be a lil' bit biased!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 07-29-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-29-2006, 01:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to GC!

I suggest you read the AI information threads. So you know, being an alumna in a sorority is not the same as being an active member, although some sororities accept graduate students in their collegiate chapters. They are two different things.

Alumnae are all ages from college graduates (or transfers) up to senior citizens. So age wouldn't be a problem if you're interested in AI.

Something else for you to consider, if you decide being part of an alumna chapter isn't the way you want to go, is an adult sorority/society for women. There is a list of them on this site, but some examples include P.E.O. or Beta Sigma Epsilon

If you decide AI is right for you, then stick with it, do some research and pick a sorority or two to start the ball rolling with.

Good Luck!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

So are you in college, or have you graduated? AI is for "alumnae" who have graduated and not for women still in school.

And just because the groups don't have houses doesn't mean that the system isn't very strong. MANY schools don't have houses for their social fraternities/sororities.
Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartBlondeGPhB
So are you in college, or have you graduated? AI is for "alumnae" who have graduated and not for women still in school.

And just because the groups don't have houses doesn't mean that the system isn't very strong. MANY schools don't have houses for their social fraternities/sororities.
Ditto on the second part. My school didn't have houses and women were about 16% greek. That's not half bad (according to that US World Reports thing)

I do believe she's out of undergrad and starting grad school. I think.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to G C!

AIing is some what new to many Sorority GLOs, but it seems to be expanding a little at a time.

Each has their own program about becoming an AI.

Many points have been brought up through out this thread so check it out.

AIing is not like recruitment at the undergrad level and can take a lot of more time to acquire.

But as you read some of the AI members posts, You can find out how long it has taken and how rewarding it can be. But in the end, it is up to you to inquire and why you want to be envolved.

Good luck in your quest and keep us updated.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 07-30-2006, 12:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Best of luck to you if you do decide to pursue AI. Keep an open mind during this process! The threads that are stickied to the top of this forum are the best things! Read them, they will be a huge help to you if you go foward.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks a lot for all the well wishes CutiePie2000, Drolefille, SmartBlondeGPhB, Tom Earp and ecupidelta =)

CutiePie2000: Thanks for the link! It really helps a lot =)

Drolefille: Thanks for the advice =) So I was looking into the options. What is the major difference between alumna chapter vs an adult sorority? is the experience generally the same? I'm still a bit confused...

SmartBlondeGPhB: I just gradauted from school =) I don't know if it's the same as some other schools, but almost half of the school population are commutors. Not too many students choose to live on campus for various reasons. And during weekends, our school looks like a dead town. As far as I'm aware of among the 20 something GLO that we have on campus, only a handful are truly active, which is sad. I could dare to say our school's greek system is not as strong as people would like to see, but it's improving.

And no, I decided not to persude grad school anymore (I realized for my field, I didnt need a masters, so I went straight to work)
Old 08-01-2006, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to jadis96 Send a message via Yahoo to jadis96
Best of luck if you decide to persue this! Let us know how things are going!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks a lot for all the well wishes CutiePie2000, Drolefille, SmartBlondeGPhB, Tom Earp and ecupidelta =)

CutiePie2000: Thanks for the link! It really helps a lot =)

Drolefille: Thanks for the advice =) So I was looking into the options. What is the major difference between alumna chapter vs an adult sorority? is the experience generally the same? I'm still a bit confused...

SmartBlondeGPhB: I just gradauted from school =) I don't know if it's the same as some other schools, but almost half of the school population are commutors. Not too many students choose to live on campus for various reasons. And during weekends, our school looks like a dead town. As far as I'm aware of among the 20 something GLO that we have on campus, only a handful are truly active, which is sad. I could dare to say our school's greek system is not as strong as people would like to see, but it's improving.

And no, I decided not to persude grad school anymore (I realized for my field, I didnt need a masters, so I went straight to work)
An alumna chapter does service and supports a collegiate chapter if there's one nearby. They do tend more towards having a social event or two per month especially if the women come from further away.

An adult sorority is like being active in college. They have regular chapter meetings and projects and events. Someone in a sorority like Beta Sigma Phi could give you more info.

There are some sororities that will take you as an active member if you are a graduate student as well. It may be worth looking into that if you want a "college" Greek life.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
An alumna chapter does service and supports a collegiate chapter if there's one nearby. They do tend more towards having a social event or two per month especially if the women come from further away.

An adult sorority is like being active in college. They have regular chapter meetings and projects and events. Someone in a sorority like Beta Sigma Phi could give you more info.

There are some sororities that will take you as an active member if you are a graduate student as well. It may be worth looking into that if you want a "college" Greek life.

Thanks for the answer. It gives me more of an idea which kind of sorority I would like to go for. Right now I'm in the process of researching different sororities. I'm going to take my time since I just got out of college. I'm still at the stage of trying to settle down with my job (too much to learn, too overwhelming at the moment). I understand it'll be a long process for me, and I don't mind, even if it means it'll take years. But I know it would be a rewarding experience for me, and I know I won't regret it (because I already regret for not joining one in college)

*takes a deep breath and keeps my finger crossed* =)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Welcome to GC! I applied for an AI with Delta Delta Delta this spring and will be initiated this fall. PM me if you have any questions.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

If Greek orgs don't work out, you can also try women's organizations like Junior League (www.ajli.org). Hey, you can even try Junior League while pursuing AI.
Old 08-10-2006, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know this is a bit off subject. I *think* (please correct me if I'm wrong) is that there's no asian sororities in NPC, right? I was also trying to look into some asian sororities that have AI that I could also look into, but end up with nothing. (sorry that it isn't NPC related, but I was just curious)
I have not heard of any Asian-interest sororities doing AI. I have heard of a few instances where grad students were allowed to pledge with undergrads at a collegiate chapter. But the instances that I had heard about were decided/approved by the sorority on a case-by-case basis. I don't know for sure that none of the Asian-interest sororities do AI. If any of them do, it's probably on a special case-by-case basis. So if it's something you're interested in, maybe you could contact the Asian-interest sororities that are appealing to you to see if AI's even a possibility or if they are not allowed to do AI.

PSimissU