GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,933
4 members and 1,929 guests
bbobbyusady4719, LaneSig, Sciencewoman

Old 08-19-2009, 04:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleowl33 View Post
Out of curiosity, how is it possible to transfer from one University to another within a few weeks of the start of classes? That just seems like it's cutting it pretty close... can the student belatedly accept an offer of admission if she was accepted to both schools originally, or does she fill out a whole transfer app and go for rolling transfer admissions?
Back in the late 70's-80's , there were girls who went through rush at Texas and didn't get the "top 6". They would withdraw and transfer to Texas Tech a smaller school at the time and not quite as competitive.

My Tech friends say they always knew when a girl registered late for rush - she didn't get what she wanted at Texas. I'm not sure if that still happens

Texas rush is still very competitive - 50,000 students - but quotas are still 40 to 50.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleMissGlitter View Post
There have been a handful of PNMs who didn't get their first choice at Alabama or Auburn and guess what? They transferred to Ole Miss. Since Auburn and Alabama have recruitment before their semesters starts and Ole Miss usually doesn't begin until the last week in August, it gives a student time to leave one school and head to another. I know of a PNM about 4 years ago who didn't get her first choice at Alabama and she did get that first choice here at Ole Miss. They just pay the fees for both schools and if they get their first choice they cancel their applications with the other school. If they don't get their first choice they come here and "withdraw" from the other University. I have seen it about a handful of times. But it does happen.
I also remember when I went through recruitment way back in 1996 (before they moved recruitment) there were two girls in my dorm who packed up and left and went to Mississippi State. They didn't get their first choice here so they figured they would get it at MSU. I personally don't agree with it at all. I can't believe some parents would even suggest or encourage it.

Do these women then attempt to transfer BACK to their old school and affiliate with that chapter once they get a bid?

I've heard of that happening.

Like, Suzie gets released from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Auburn, gets a bid to ABC, then transfers BACK to Bama and becomes a Bama ABC.

Or Suzie gets cut from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Smaller Alabama University, pledges ABC and returns.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Follow this link to read the Crimson and White news article.....
I am soooooooo proud of our girls!!!!!!!!!

http://www.cw.ua.edu/sororities-see-...ment-1.1816999
I guess they assume everyone reading knows, but it would have been nice if they had put actual numbers in the article. How many did G Phi B end up taking in the end? I know it's in here somewhere but this thread has gotten ginormous.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I guess they assume everyone reading knows, but it would have been nice if they had put actual numbers in the article. How many did G Phi B end up taking in the end? I know it's in here somewhere but this thread has gotten ginormous.
105 new members![

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Do these women then attempt to transfer BACK to their old school and affiliate with that chapter once they get a bid?

Like, Suzie gets released from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Auburn, gets a bid to ABC, then transfers BACK to Bama and becomes a Bama ABC.

Or Suzie gets cut from ABC at Bama, so she transfers to Smaller Alabama University, pledges ABC and returns.

Some did transfer and try to affiliate. Some would start at other schools and transfer as soph and affiliate.

Things are alot different now, because Texas is so difficult to get into. A lot of kids do transfer as soph because they couldn't get in as freshman. So you don't really see this happening like in the 70 and 80s.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

It depends. My neighbor freshman year in the dorm was from Dallas. She didn't have the best grades so she didn't get into Texas. She knew even if she did get into Texas she wouldn't have gotten her first choice there. So she came to Ole Miss got her grades up and pledged her first choice at Ole Miss which happens to be a very competitive chapter at Texas. Her sophomore year she transferred. I don't know if she ever affiliated or not.

I know of a girl who pledged AOII with me. She dropped out before initiation. She transferred to State her sophomore year. She pledged her “first choice” down at State and then transferred back to Ole Miss to affiliate with the group who had initially released her. Because this particular group has so many transfers trying to affiliate already she was not able to affiliate and she ended up receiving alumna status. So all of her hopping around really ended up adding nothing to her collegiate sorority experience.

It totally happens at all levels. Do I agree, not really. But if that's how someone wants to be happy in life, go for it.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Because this particular group has so many transfers trying to affiliate already she was not able to affiliate and she ended up receiving alumna status. So all of her hopping around really ended up adding nothing to her collegiate sorority experience.

It totally happens at all levels. Do I agree, not really. But if that's how someone wants to be happy in life, go for it.
Yeah, I've heard of chapters who simply just can't take transfer affiliates because there are too many girls trying to transfer in.

I don't get why someone would do it if there was no guarantee of being able to affiliate.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

This was a big problem in the past. Girls knew how competitive rush is at Alabama so they would go to smaller schools (UNA, JSU, etc.) straight from high school, join whatever they thought were "top-tier" sororities at Alabama or Auburn, then transfer and try to affiliate. Chapters at Alabama just stopped taking them. It just becomes obvious when 10 or more girls from from one chapter at UNA transfer to Alabama after only a semester expecting to be taken right in.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

We used to have a term for these smaller school chapters - they were called "feeder chapters" because that was the main function for them - to feed members to the larger school chapters. Was really prevalent in the 80's here.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Since I'm living in Oxford now and am teaching at Ole Miss, I am learning a little bit about what goes on here. I will say that the sorority and fraternity houses on on the Ole Miss campus are the most stunningly beautiful and highest quality that I have ever seen anywhere.

Sorority recruitment will occur September 20-27 this year. Classes begin this coming Monday, August 24. What I understand from other faculty members who have been around for awhile is that there used to be an exodus of young ladies transfering away from Ole Miss after rush who did not get the sorority they wanted. Not sure when this went into effect, but the dates are now set so that it will be too late for anyone to withdraw and transfer AND get their tuition money back. They are "stuck" for at least one semester and perhaps they will adjust to the situation.

'Course, now, this is my first semester here, so it will be interesting to see if recruitment disrupts classes. At first I couldn't fathom how they could get all of the parties in, but there are only 8 Panhellenic sororities here. According the schedule posted at http://www.dosolemiss.com/page.php?p...page_id=107788, they don't do a round of open parties.

Round 1 (Philanthropy Round): Sept. 23-24th
Round 2 (Skit Round): Sept. 25th
Round 3 (Preference Round): Sept. 26th
BID DAY: Sept. 27th

I count a total of 34 Rho Chis, so if I estimate 25 PNMs assigned to each, there ought to be around 850 girls going through recruitment here. One of them is a close friend of my daughter who just pledged Tri Delta at Alabama ... but there is nothing to stop me from sending an additional rec to the Kappa house now that I'm here, is there?

Quote:
There have been a handful of PNMs who didn't get their first choice at Alabama or Auburn and guess what? They transferred to Ole Miss. Since Auburn and Alabama have recruitment before their semesters starts and Ole Miss usually doesn't begin until the last week in August, it gives a student time to leave one school and head to another. I know of a PNM about 4 years ago who didn't get her first choice at Alabama and she did get that first choice here at Ole Miss. They just pay the fees for both schools and if they get their first choice they cancel their applications with the other school. If they don't get their first choice they come here and "withdraw" from the other University. I have seen it about a handful of times. But it does happen.
I also remember when I went through recruitment way back in 1996 (before they moved recruitment) there were two girls in my dorm who packed up and left and went to Mississippi State. They didn't get their first choice here so they figured they would get it at MSU. I personally don't agree with it at all. I can't believe some parents would even suggest or encourage it.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Texas APhi,
My daughter calls the company that takes the pictures Zaps. They bring proofs to the houses than the girls or guys can order from the proofs. She has never mentioned that you can see them online.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Panhellenic at Alabama is a long established system. Whatever the perceived faults of how things are done it has stood the test of time. For Kappa Delta it is a single letter chapter. Delta Delta Delta celebrates 95 years on campus in 2009.

Let us give some kudos to Panhellenic. With over 1400 registered the vast majority of those young women were placed. All groups took quota or above. Gamma Phi Beta had a record number of new members. Bid Day appeared to be a huge success with parents and friends visiting the chapters, some from long distances. All this is not accomplished without a great deal of planning and hard work both from Panhellenic and the chapters involved.
Yes!!!
Old 08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhfulmer View Post
I heard from an advisor at Bama that two girls transferred to Ole Miss this year after they were released after the first round. Don't know if it's true or not but she is always completely on top of things and in the know.
Out of the frying pan into the fire, if you ask me.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Zap Professional Photo, Inc.
P.O. Box 2666
Tuscaloosa, AL 35403

http://www.zapfoto.com/

And Bamamom13 is correct. You cannot view the proofs except for in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamamom13 View Post
Texas APhi,
My daughter calls the company that takes the pictures Zaps. They bring proofs to the houses than the girls or guys can order from the proofs. She has never mentioned that you can see them online.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Loyally Kappa and Bamamom 13, thank you for the information about Bid Day pictures.