GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,467
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, Bioxtrim
» Online Users: 1,426
0 members and 1,426 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2003, 05:59 PM
GreekChat Member

forcing a chapter to close because another did?!?

I think this is all a load of crap, but maybe I'm wrong, though I sure hope not.

If a campus has 2 NPC sororites (and no others), and one of them closes due to numbers, does the other one automatically have to shut down as well?? I wouldn't think so, but somebody is trying to tell me that that's the case...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2003, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not very experienced in all the panhellenic rules, but I wouldn't think that because one sorority closes that the remaining one has to close as well.

Is it the university that is trying to shut the other chapter out or the panhellenic? (Also, are there locals on your campus? If so, are they being forced to fold as well?)
Old 10-06-2003, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah, it's like, why would we have to be punished because we were getting numbers and they weren't?? it's not a definite thing at all at this point, but still.
no, there aren't any locals. and nobody's trying to do this yet, but some people heard somewhere that both would have to close. also doesn't make sense when one has been national since right around the time the other started existing as a local...
Old 10-06-2003, 06:14 PM

No, that has nothing to do with anything. I think our chapter at Loras is the only sorority (there were 2 NPC sororities & 2 local) left at the school, at least according to the website, and AFAIK it isn't closing anytime soon.

If you had a chapter of Panhellenic, it would have to be closed if there is only one sorority. Maybe that is what they meant.

ETA depending on what the other sorority is at your campus, THEY might have a rule in their national bylaws that if there are no other sororities, they will leave. But if ADPi doesn't have that rule, you don't have to worry.

Last edited by 33girl; 10-06-2003 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this isn't the same situation. but Alpha Gamma Delta is the only NPC sorority at the U of Hawaii - Manoa...about 50 years after the alumnae chapter...now that's squirrel power!

I don't see why the closing of 1 chapter should automatically mean cancellation of the other one. Perhaps there was something about the 1 group that defeated itself along with outside forces.

Maybe some non-Greeks would be willing for a fresh start.
Old 10-06-2003, 08:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to winnieb
While in school, my chapter was the only NPC group on campus, and there were no locals. We were the only woman's group. Also, there was a men's group, that was not yet chartered.

-wendi
Old 10-06-2003, 11:55 PM
GreekChat Member

My college went through this exact thing. There were two NPC sororities, and the rumor was that if one closed, the other had to too. NOT TRUE! One did close, and the other is still there, going strong.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AXiDMandi
it's so crazy to hear about people only having one or two chapters or no greek system at all. It's such a huge part of UCF I couldn't imagine the school without it.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AXiDMandi
it's so crazy to hear about people only having one or two chapters or no greek system at all. It's such a huge part of UCF I couldn't imagine the school without it.
After transfering from somewhere that had quite a few chapters, it was really strange to come here and see only two... but this is where I found my home, so I'm not complaining! My school only has 2000 people, so a bigger Greek system would be practically impossible here.

Thanks to everyone else who replied to this... I didn't think it was true, but I just needed some backup so I can prove it to the person who was telling me this.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Not to put down your greek system but I believe that Depauw University in Greencastle, Indiana has about the same amount of students and they have something like 9 NPC sororities with all of them being like over a hundred. But then something like 80% of the school is involved in greek life. But still, just to point out that it is possible and greek systems at schools like that do exist.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AXWhoah
Not to put down your greek system but I believe that Depauw University in Greencastle, Indiana has about the same amount of students and they have something like 9 NPC sororities with all of them being like over a hundred. But then something like 80% of the school is involved in greek life. But still, just to point out that it is possible and greek systems at schools like that do exist.
2 important things though:

-DePauw is the founding home of 2 NPC groups and has a long Greek tradition;
-ForeverDiamond's school is in Canada where the climate for Greeks is not the best.