GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,561
1 members and 1,560 guests
*winter*

Old 06-01-2007, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

GreekChat Survival Guide: A Thread For ALL GC "Newbies" to READ, LOOK & DO NOT POST!

Old School GCers= ANYONE (Greek or Non-greek) who has been a member of GC AND a regular poster for MORE than 3 years.
Young School GCers= Anyone (G or NG) who has been a member of GC and a regular poster for LESS than 3 years.

Please share your experiences with our new members to GC. Also, please share any advice you feel will help them as they travel around GreekChat, USA.

Young School, this is a thread where YOU stop, look, and refrain from posting.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:03 AM
GreekChat Member

THE SEARCH FUNCTION IS YOUR FRIEND!!!!

There are snarky people here, get over it. If you don't want to get snarked on, don't give me...uh...THEM...ammo.

Keep your NPC AI story to yourself until you've got that letter of acceptance in your hand.

ETA: Introduce yourself to KABillyMac's threads - you'll be glad you did. Also, seek out lifesaver's "Ho be lookin' like a predator..." good read.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 06-01-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
It's OK to bump ancient threads if you have something to contribute. It's not OK to pick a fight with someone who last posted 6 years ago. Actually, it is OK. It provides comedy for us.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:55 AM

If your post gets deleted once, don't repost it. Contact the moderator of the forum where your deleted post was and ask what you did wrong.

If you are a "long time lurker, first time poster" and your first post is VERY VERY DRAMATIC, we will question whether you're authentic. It's unfortunate, but you're paying for the sins of the trolls and antigreeks who have visited this site over the years.

If all you ever post in are entertainment threads - even if you have a GLO related name - we're going to know you're a stealth marketer. We don't like stealth marketers here. Just don't do it.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

For the NON-Greeks

Folks are NOT here to stroke your ego. Don't expect to get answers wrapped in lollipops, rainbows, and glitter.

Don't CLAIM that you have done a search, read ALL the threads, and have been lurking for the past 10 years, only to ask a question that has been brought up and/or resolved 1,908 times before. You lose credibility and make yourself look ridiculous.

The Pearls of Wisdom, A Torch to Guide You, and other forum rules, are posted for a reason and they are VERY specific in terms of what will and will not be discussed. Regardless of how cleverly you feel that your question is disguised or how "different" you may THINK your question is, as long is it is pertaining to membership, or a derivative thereof, IT WILL NOT BE ANSWERED. Period.

If you don't like to be referred to the official, national webite for answers to your membership questions, don't ask. That's all we have for you here.

No, we cannot give you advice on how to become a member.
No, we don't know why you got rejected.
No, we cannot offer a shoulder to cry on because you got rejected.
No, we cannot point you in the "right direction."
No, we cannot and will not write you a letter of recommendation.
No, we don't know when your school will have rush.
This list can go on and on. You should get the hint....

If you have to sign on to a messageboard to ask a question about an org., the answer is 99.8% likely to be NO.

If the answer cannot be found on the national website, then the answer is NO.

Making little comments that attempt to tie you to an org. will not win you any brownie points.

I'm sure I'll be adding on to this list
Old 06-01-2007, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If your post gets deleted once, don't repost it. Contact the moderator of the forum where your deleted post was and ask what you did wrong.
Likewise, if a thread is closed, don't bring that conversation to another thread, or start another thread to finish the conversation or have the last word. I know most of us are guilty of that at least once, but just don't do it.
Old 06-01-2007, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedefinedDiva View Post
Making little comments that attempt to tie you to an org. will not win you any brownie points.
AND making comments about one org will not win you brownie points with a 'rival' org

Let's see, what else.....

RIF = READING IS FUNDAMENTAL

Step away from the keyboard before responding, esp. in a thread that has 563 posts in less than a week

Find your lane and stay in it

PM (private messaging) is your friend
Old 06-01-2007, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Just because you READ a topic, there is no rule saying you must REPLY to it. Sometimes its o.k. to read and keep it moving

Be nice to people. You can disagree or question or whatever without resorting to rudeness.

If all else fails, you can also place people on ignore.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:35 PM
GreekChat Member

While being on a messageboard can not help your chances of becoming a member, please know that it most certainly can HURT your chances. In your quest to be cute and make yourself the best sisterfriend in the history of GC, you sometimes leave little clues that reveal your identity. So, some of you should know that we DO know who you are. (The internet is a strange invention! ) So, when you try to get sporty and think you are shielded behind your computer, THINK TWICE.

Take criticism with a grain of salt. If a MEMBER tells you that something you have said is NOT appropriate, take your charge and keep it moving. Don't think that your back and forth will prove that you have (internet) "guts" or that you are standing up for your rights.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still BLUTANG View Post
Just because you READ a topic, there is no rule saying you must REPLY to it. Sometimes its o.k. to read and keep it moving
Amen!
Old 06-01-2007, 04:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Please don't think that everyone has to be nice and friendly to you and agree with you. Everyone isn't your friend and everyone isn't going to agree with everything you say. If you can't take criticism, you may be in the wrong place.

This has already been touched on but I want to say it again: No one owes you anything. Thinking that people do and having that attitude will only irritate others on the board.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Cross postination...

Refrain from CROSS POSTINATION. That sucks. You suck if you do it. Just because you did not get the answer you were looking for on MIP for AKA when you posted it on AKA Ave. or your thread on the Ave got locked down, does not constitute that you post it in another less frequented area of GC, like Social or Event... THAT IS LAME and you are lame if you do it. In my book, that constitutes you as lacking in morals and ethical standards.

There are items we will NEVER discuss. There are reasons we do not. Your reasons as to why we do not discuss it do not constitute a problem on my entire Sorority's reasons why we do not discuss it... We have lawyers, judges and liability insurance that covers us. What do you have, really? What do we owe you, really? My dues will not pay for stupidity and laziness on your part.

Another issue:

If you want references for your diatribe justifying why your are right and I am wrong because I think that the Earth goes around the Sun in 365 days, then Google and Wiki is your friend also...

Just because you failed to do a SEARCH and understand the people you are talking to here on GC, does not constitute we can actually have a logical discussion with you that is rooted in facts. It is not my OPINION that why I think 1 + 1 = 2. Unless you have a doctorate, medical degree in formal logic, philosophy and physics, I seriously doubt you can prove to me beyond a shadow of a doubt in that in Euclidian math that 1 + 1 = 2. Maybe in nonlinear imaginary numbers... But in that case, we are not in the Real Variable world...

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana

Last edited by AKA_Monet; 06-01-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Search....

Discretion...

And....your ego will get punked very quickly.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:34 PM

Do not come to GC pretending to be a member of a sorority or fraternity (what we here at GC call a "perp") if you are not. The internet isn't as anonymous as you think and the sorority women/fraternity men on this board are very well connected within their organizations. YOU WILL BE FOUND OUT.

For example: A young lady came onto this board claiming to be a new member of my sorority. It took me ONE email to a member of that chapter to find out that she was lying.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 06-01-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Take some time to learn the "culture" of GC before you start posting. Most "Old School" GCers have established personalities. Some have relationships with other GCers that extend beyond the internet. Some have "beef" that extend beyond the pages of GC. Some have history that goes back to the first days of GC. Whatever the case may be, if you pay attention and RESEARCH before posting, you'd avoid getting in the middle of something that really isn't for you.

To FOUNDERS and members of new GLOs: Rep your org. as much as you would like. In fact, that's what you are supposed to do. However, DO NOT come through bashing other orgs. It makes you look like a hater, reject, etc. It also doesn't help your orgs. credibility. There's a reason that most orgs. on GC are nearly or more than 100 years old. Obviously we've been doing something right for all this time.