GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,585
1 members and 2,584 guests
No Members online

Old 12-26-2000, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation Help! Please!!!

Hi,

My name is Rachael Shapiro and I'm president of the Beta Zeta chapter of Phi Beta Fraternity at Berklee College of Music. (http://www.phibeta.org) We got our charter in October, and are currently the only greek letter organization on campus.

Phi Beta is a co-ed national professional fraternity for persons in the creative and performing arts, but is very, very small in comparison to most other national organizations. We have gotten very little direction, and I am worried about my chapter. We started out strong with 25 members, but have already dwindled down to 18. Our school won't help us get a house, and I don't know where to start looking for insurance. Our national group doesn't even have insurance, and they say they won't get it because it will cause our dues to be raised. (National dues are only $25 a year.) Our chapter dues are currently $15 a month, but that doesn't give us much to work with in the way of having events. I really want this fraternity to be the best it can possibly be!

Do you all know any way we can do this? Any suggestions for building brotherhood or getting people to do their jobs? Or do I need to start all over again - starting a local instead, and going through member recruitment until I get a motivated bunch? My school has ridiculous rules about not allowing single-sex clubs, so national sororities or fraternities are out of the question, unfortunately. :-(

I need someone to point me in the right direction, or to let me know of a place that can help us set goals and explain positions to people. We've had elections, but the officers haven't been doing any work, aside from me... and the only reason I know what I should be doing is that I was in a sorority-like youth group in high school.

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

-Rachael Shapiro
President/Founder
Beta Zeta Chapter
Phi Beta Fraternity http://www.phibeta.org
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-24-2001, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

sorry this is really late so u probably already got the answers u need. But as for money, the best thing to do is fundraise fundraise fundraise. Try fundraisers, where it gets the sisters to work together as a team or a group. Like car washes and stuff like that , the more work you do as a team, the more money you can raise, and the stronger bond u can create by working together.If u have any questions, or want help, I'll be glad to help out
, just email me
DGPhoney~

------------------
"Simply the Best, Delta Gamma Pi"
http://everythingblack.websitenow.com/citron
Old 04-25-2001, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, but I have faith in you! You've come this far, dont' give it up now!! Do you have an advisor? We don't have one (we are a local sorority) but are thinking of getting one. This should be an adult involved with your college or community, it'd be really helpful if they were on the staff of your college campus so that they'd know all the rules and what not. I think that they would help a lot with generally everything, but as far as money goes, if people aren't willing to pay more dues then tell them their only other option is to fundraise (and that they had better participate if they want to be considered an active member!) As far as active members go, you may even get to the point where you need to go through and re-evaluate everyone's active membership. If there are some people that just aren't participating or caring enough, it is acceptable for them to be voted out. A lot depends on your constitution or by-laws and what rules were set in them, but I think that at rough times sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do! Keep your head high, things will get better!!!
Sandi
)