GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,110
2 members and 1,108 guests
LaneSig

Old 07-10-2004, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

University of Kentucky - Sigma Kappa House

I posted this on the Sigma Kappa forum but thought some UK folk might have some information as well.

It is my understanding that the Sigma Kappa chapter at the University of Kentucky has moved across the lawn and into the former Alpha Xi Delta house.

Since this still leaves a sorority house vacant, does anyone from UK - or any other folk - happen to know who might move into the house at 327 Columbia Terrace?

I would hope that it gets utilized. There are a few fraternities at the UK that currently do not have a house, and it would be nice if they could move in.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-10-2004, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I think a fraternity is moving into the house.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:39 PM
GreekChat Member

There has been no news of Sigma Kappa moving into the old Alpha Xi Delta house. I believe there is an allotted amount of time that Alpha Xi Delta has to be officially gone before they will lease the house to another group.

And TSteven-have you seen the newest fraternity houses they have build behind Sorority Circle? They are very nice & are now occupying 2 fraternities that previously did not have a home!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crzychx
There has been no news of Sigma Kappa moving into the old Alpha Xi Delta house. I believe there is an allotted amount of time that Alpha Xi Delta has to be officially gone before they will lease the house to another group.

And TSteven-have you seen the newest fraternity houses they have build behind Sorority Circle? They are very nice & are now occupying 2 fraternities that previously did not have a home!
crzychx - Thanks for the update.

And yes, I have seen the new houses. Here is a drawing of the two. The Sigma Chi house is on the left and the Sigma Phi Epsilon on the right.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the new houses, I think they are beautiful.

If Theta Rho does move into the old Alpha Xi Delta house it must be incredibly new news! I just called my Guardian Angel when I saw this thread & she lives in the house. She confirms that they are not moving & if they are it hasn't been announced!

I know that a fraternity was previously using the old Alpha Xi Delta house before they recolonized back in 2001 but I don't know what they will do w/ the house!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the info.

I have heard that one of the fraternities might move into the Alpha Xi Delta house for a year, but was not sure.

What confused me is that in UK's 2004 Formal Sorority Recruitment Guide, the Sigma Kappa chapter's address, position on the official map, and the house picture is the Alpha Xi Delta house. (321 Columbia Terrace) When I saw and read that, I figured that Sigma Kappa was moving into 321 Columbia Terrace perhaps because it might be bigger.

The last "unofficial update" I heard was that as you noted, Alpha Xi Delta had to be off campus before the University could lease to another group. However, the UK administration was looking into "compensating" Alpha Xi Delta for the year. Thus being able to lease it to a fraternity. In other words, the way I understand it is that what ever fraternity came in, that chapter would basically "rent" the house from Alpha Xi Delta. Or something similar along those lines. Thus Alpha Xi Delta would not be responsible for the lease for the year before they come back.
---
And I agree the new houses look good. The two houses are the first phase of the new "Greek Town" being built in that area. In any case, it is too bad I don't have a current picture. This rendering doesn't do them justice.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited by TSteven; 07-10-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronso
From what I heard, Phi Delta Theta will be moving into the old Sigma Kappa house and Sigma Kappa will be moving into the former Alpha Xi Delta house. I'm not very sure about the credibility of that story though. Still, I'm quite sad about what happened to AXiD, they were quite nice.

If this is true it must be very recent & exciting news! The old Alpha Xi Delta house is beautiful & just a little bigger than the Sigma Kappa house!

Although, I'll always be partial to the house I was in!
Old 07-11-2004, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
If this is true it must be very recent & exciting news! The old Alpha Xi Delta house is beautiful & just a little bigger than the Sigma Kappa house!

I've never been in the Sigma Kappa house; however I have been in the house when Zeta Tau Alpha was on campus and resided there.
Old 07-11-2004, 02:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ronso
From what I heard, Phi Delta Theta will be moving into the old Sigma Kappa house and Sigma Kappa will be moving into the former Alpha Xi Delta house. I'm not very sure about the credibility of that story though. Still, I'm quite sad about what happened to AXiD, they were quite nice.
Yeah it is sad. Alpha Xi Delta was the first NPC sorority at UK and quite a few of my friends are AXiD's. Great group of women.

I wouldn't be surprised if Phi Delta Theta was the fraternity to move into Columbia Terrace. (Which ever house it might be.) They recolonized and their nationals have really put a lot of time and energy into the chapter. Also, the original UK charter dates back to 1901 so they have quite a few influential alumni as well.

And frankly, given the membership size of Sigma Kappa and that of Phi Delta Theta, (or any of the other non housed fraternities) it would make sense for Sigma Kappa, as the larger chapter, to take the larger house.
Old 07-11-2004, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

crzychx - I sent you a PM with a question.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

I knew some girls that were AXDi's from my high school... i didn't realize that their recolonization didn't work out.... how sad I hate that!

The last time I went there I saw the new SAE house- I mean SERIOUSLY! That thing is gorgeous!

Facebook

Last edited by ilovemyglo; 07-12-2004 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:57 PM
GreekChat Member

I love the SAE house, its so beautiful! They have two lions outside the front of the house!
Old 07-29-2004, 03:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: University of Kentucky - Sigma Kappa House

Quote:
Originally posted by TSteven
I posted this on the Sigma Kappa forum but thought some UK folk might have some information as well.

It is my understanding that the Sigma Kappa chapter at the University of Kentucky has moved across the lawn and into the former Alpha Xi Delta house.

Since this still leaves a sorority house vacant, does anyone from UK - or any other folk - happen to know who might move into the house at 327 Columbia Terrace?

I would hope that it gets utilized. There are a few fraternities at the UK that currently do not have a house, and it would be nice if they could move in.

Just thought I would confirm that Sigma Kappa has moved across the lawn into the old Alpha Xi Delta house. I'll be helping out w/ Recruitment this fall & have gone to see the new house myself!