GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,176
3 members and 1,173 guests
LaneSig, MSKKG

Old 10-08-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Greek life at CA private schools?

Okay...I know I ask a lot of questions but please bear with me! Is there anyone out there who can tell me about Greek life at their smaller or private school? I know all private schools aren't small but you hear a lot about public schools and I was just wondering what its like on the other end. Are the greeks more or less visible on a smaller campus? Thanks so much!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-08-2001, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to amycat412
Greeks were very visible at USC, Loyola Marymount, Univ of San Diego. Have also heard visible at Chapman. System is only 5 years old at Pepperdine, but I heard they are building houses now, so that's cool.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Pepperdine Housing

Where did you hear that they were building houses at Pepperdine?
Old 10-08-2001, 02:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't remember exactly where, actually-- I think it may have been one of the nationals sites looking for a housing director to oversee building of house.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DreamAgain
Ya I was wondering if any of you guys know how competitive rush is at LMU or USD, I will probably go to either one next semester and I am going to rush (as a soph.) in the spring... any tips?
Love, Linds!
Old 10-09-2001, 02:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Both LMU and USD have been experiencing very high recruitment registration numbers the past few years. LMU expanded two years ago and is looking at doing so again in the near future. Both are wonderful greek campuses. Good luck in rush!
Old 10-09-2001, 01:14 PM
GreekChat Member

USD has expanded recently too, they added Theta last year and Kappa this year.

Good Luck!
Old 10-09-2001, 08:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I go to a small college in WV....750 people...and our Greek population is approximately 80%. Greek are the campus here. Our independant population is extremely small and non-visible. Recruitment is not very competitive in the sense of "I won't get into a house," just in the sense of getting into the house you want during formal recruitment. Eventually, everyone ends up somewhere!
Old 10-14-2001, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I can relate

Well i went to a small school in mich and this school has a total of 11 greeks on campus year to date. Two of the greeks on campus are young ones and we are one of those young greeks that exsist on the campus. It's kind of a drag and hassle to get everyone to agree with one thing at our campus because some of the greeks have been here since the school has been establish. So other young greeks lncluding my self want to see things go a step higher than what they are now. What i mean by that is all of the greeks on my campus are local no nationals, and that's what we want to do. But i can say being on a small campus is a good thing until it comes to the weekend, but with greeks it's like selling a car everyone will try there best to make there care good to the public eye, and they will bad mouth the other dealers. So we have our good and bad times as greeks on my campus. But one thing you ought to be cautious about and that's when your college does not enroll alot of students into the school, and u know what that mean.

from your brother of the newly acclaim Mu Omega Pi we are taking it to a higher level.. Greek'sss Rulesssssss
Old 10-17-2001, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Dejajeva
From what I know...a good friend of mine is a Sig Ep at LMU- they have a wonderful greek system there.

It's also a great school in general. I really liked it.

Always,
Jess
Old 10-21-2001, 12:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Can someone tell me about Loyola Marymount? It's one private school I've heard of but don't know too much about. See I have all these books, like "California Independent Colleges" and the Princeton Review's 331 Best but you can only get so much from books, you know? I wanna know what it's actually like to live and go to these places.

Also my parents say they're not paying for a sorority when I get to college. So I said fine, I'll get a job and pay for it my darn self, but then they won't let me get a job cause it "interferes with schoolwork" and OMG, I can't win! Ugh. I keep bringing it up the idea of going Greek so when it comes time for me to rush they'll at least be used to it. I don't know, maybe they'll change their minds. I really do want a job though. I think I'd feel really great if I could pay for the sorority myself.
Old 10-21-2001, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Honey,
Email me your questions about LMU and I will forward them to my friends Erika and Sandy who went there. Both are DZs from Loyola.
Old 10-21-2001, 09:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool get organized now, honey

when you hit college, you are on your own in a lot of ways. mom and dad won't be there holding your hand. get organized now. if you need to start saving money, do it now so you can hit the ground running wherever you end up.
cheers
mmcat
Old 10-21-2001, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Amen to that one MMCat! I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about college. My school is not that expensive, but when I was at home, my parents were like, "We would rather you not work in college", but when the bills started stacking up they were like, "You might need to find a part-time job so you can cover some of the stuff yourself." I mean, it is nice to have your parents blessing in whatever you do, but eventually you have to start thinking and acting for yourself as an adult. My parents did not want me in a sorority so I pay for that myself.
Old 11-02-2001, 06:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Theta in CA!!!

I just had to put in my 2 cents about CA Thetas! We just initiated our USD girls last year, and they are just FABULOUS!!! Our LMU girls are awesome, also!!! I know Pepperdine Thetas and they loved their experience there, even though they were newbies. I'm in CA and would be happy to give you the lowdown on CA Greeks!