GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,471
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, veasfrances2534
» Online Users: 1,266
0 members and 1,266 guests
No Members online

Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

SEC summer rush

Will someone be kind enough to explain to me the formal and summer rush process that most of the SEC fraternities offer? The fraternities at my college (30 years ago) had neither, so the practice is new to me. I’ve read a couple of threads that mention early bids. Is it common for bids to be given out over the summer? I have a son who will be entering an SEC school in the fall and I am curious about the process since it's very different from my own as well as my husband's experience with rush.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDEEGEE View Post
Will someone be kind enough to explain to me the formal and summer rush process that most of the SEC fraternities offer? The fraternities at my college (30 years ago) had neither, so the practice is new to me. I’ve read a couple of threads that mention early bids. Is it common for bids to be given out over the summer? I have a son who will be entering an SEC school in the fall and I am curious about the process since it's very different from my own as well as my husband's experience with rush.
There are threads on this...

But I'm not sure exactly what you mean by process...

During the summer, the fraternities have summer parties in their special areas. These summer parties are pretty vital to getting a bid.

Now, actual bid day or rush or whatever doesn't happen till mid-Fall (people can correct me, Arkansas' is much different than any other SEC rush in terms of structure. But these parties are integral in getting a bid. Many fraternities will offer the bid this summer and it's essentially known when you go to the campus in the fall.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-01-2010, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the responses. By process I mean, is there a proper etiquette that a PNM should follow when accepting/declining invitations during these summer parties? Does Ralph the Rushee accept every invitation he receives or should he be more selective? If he accepts all invites, will he look like a rush slut?
On the other hand, let's say Ralph the Rushee has attended a few parties to only one fraternity and is offered an early bid. Is he expected to accept that bid without having met any of the other fraternities? Or is it anticipated that Ralph with want to meet some of the other groups before he commits?
Even though he has not yet officially graduated from high school, my son has already received a couple of invitations to parties. He would like to attend ALL of them, but we are out of state, so getting to everything may not be possible. I am trying to get some idea of how much is too much vs. too little with respect to summer parties & fraternities’ expectations.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UHDEEGEE View Post
Thanks for the responses. By process I mean, is there a proper etiquette that a PNM should follow when accepting/declining invitations during these summer parties? Does Ralph the Rushee accept every invitation he receives or should he be more selective? If he accepts all invites, will he look like a rush slut?
He won't if they don't know about it.

Again ours is more structured and less reliant on these parties, but I attended quite a few across the state and to my knowledge wasn't looked poorly upon.

Quote:
On the other hand, let's say Ralph the Rushee has attended a few parties to only one fraternity and is offered an early bid. Is he expected to accept that bid without having met any of the other fraternities? Or is it anticipated that Ralph with want to meet some of the other groups before he commits?
I don't think he's expected to accept it, but he might not want to be in that position until he's met all of them.

Quote:
Even though he has not yet officially graduated from high school, my son has already received a couple of invitations to parties. He would like to attend ALL of them, but we are out of state, so getting to everything may not be possible. I am trying to get some idea of how much is too much vs. too little with respect to summer parties & fraternities’ expectations.
Yeah, I understand.

I would suggest that he attempts to attend as many as financially and time possible.

What I was going to post (before the tornado sirens rudely interrupted) is that we try to put on a few parties in big cities where we do well in. We'll have one in Memphis, Little Rock, and Dallas some years as well as Hot Springs or Fayetteville.

There should be opportunities for him to get to know plenty of 'em.
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 05-02-2010, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for your answers, EW. I guess my first search was too narrow to get any results. I tried it with a broader keyword search and have read through several other threads with questions similar to mine.