GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,163
1 members and 1,162 guests
No Members online

Old 12-19-2007, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a couple of Theta tote bags that I take with me when I go grocery shopping, to work out, to Junior League, etc. I also have a silver keychain with letters on it that I use everyday.

Otherwise, I willed a lot of things away my senior year...though I do still have a sweatshirt and one letter shirt that I'll wear around the house.
Old 12-26-2007, 09:25 PM
GreekChat Member

i still wear my sweat shirts because they are so nice, warm and comfy. every once in a while i wear my lavalier, usually during alumni events, and every once in a while i wear my quill to church. i don't wear my other lettered shirts nearly as much as i used. this is making me kind of nostalgic for my undergrad days! and i've only been out of school two years!
Old 01-07-2008, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOQTII
One person mentioned about turning all their event/bid day/ formal etc. shirts into a big quilt. Does anyone have any info as to how to get that started? Or if theres somewhere that does it for you, or a pattern you can get somewhere to do it yourself????
Thanks =)
Old 01-08-2008, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

My car . . .

and my rings . . .

Last edited by SWTXBelle; 01-08-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:27 PM
GreekChat Member

LOVE your car SWTXBelle!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm an advisor, so I wear my pin when applicable. I also wear party shirts to the gym. Other than that, I don't really wear letters anymore.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

i will be alum soon and i plan on wearing date function shirts still!!!
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, Twinkle. It keeps me driving very politely - there are so many teams I could let down with "road rage"!
Old 01-09-2008, 01:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOQTII View Post
One person mentioned about turning all their event/bid day/ formal etc. shirts into a big quilt. Does anyone have any info as to how to get that started? Or if theres somewhere that does it for you, or a pattern you can get somewhere to do it yourself????
Thanks =)

I remember my Mom making patch work quilts and did not seem that hard.

Get your items ready and laid out. It will of course depend on the size you want! Set them the way you want it to look. Sew them on a thin cloth the size you want.

Add a layer of batting under it and then sew to say a flannel base of the size, sew all of the layers together sewing with pattern so that all will stay together and place a edging around the perimiter with a solid color of GPhiB to give a clean look.

Say using letters, crest, shirts, copy of Badge and pin.

It will be one of a kind and yours!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post

and my rings . . .

Awesome and agree when driving with letters on the car. I have lettered vanity tag and I just shake my head now instead of screaming my rear off!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 01-09-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Corsulian

Fantastic pictures. Rockin' the newer logo and everything. I'll have to show those to my girlfriend.

I'm wearing a rush shirt now. I wore a different one to the gym several hours ago. Over half my t-shirts have Phi Sigma Kappa, IFC, Greek Life, or Gamma Phi Beta on them. I also have a novelty "My Frat Is Better Than Your Frat" one that usually gets a few laughs.
GMU Greek Life Wiki * Unofficial Region X Portal
Old 01-11-2008, 10:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to astlawyer
I still where my lavaliere almost daily and I've been an alumna for almost 12 years now. I still wear my pin on special occasions and when I am doing work for the sorority since I'm a District President now. I also have my letters on my college ring so in a way, I wear them everyday.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Earp View Post
together and place a edging around the perimiter with a solid color of GPhiB to give a clean look.
Hate to tell you this, but AOQTII is not a Gamma Phi Beta. . . . . .

Kappa has an article on their website about making a t-shirt quilt How To Make A Kappa Quilt
Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOQTII View Post
Thanks =)
I do them on commission. For any of you wanting to do it yourself, these are easy instructions from The Key. My own way is in CAPS.

Directions:
Select 30 T-shirts. Using a 14" square piece of glass (available at a lumbar yard) as a template, cut the fronts from the T-shirts using a rotary cutter. The glass is heavy enough to hold the shirt while cutting and transparent so you can see if the shirt is centered. Cut a 14" square of light-weight muslin and stitch to the back of each block to stabilize it.
I USE A CLEAR OMNIGRID 15 X 15 QUILTING RULER INSTEAD OF GLASS. I USE GRIDDED (MARKED IN 1 INCH SQUARES) FUSIBLE INTERFACING INSTEAD OF STITCHING LIGHTWEIGHT MUSLIN. IT STABILIZES THE STRETCHY T-SHIRT FABRIC BETTER. BE CAREFUL WHEN IRONING! SOMETIMES THE DESIGN MIGHT MELT IF IT'S NOT SILKSCREENED.

Sew T-shirt blocks together, matching corners. Or, for a different look, sew a strip on each side of the square, then sew the strips together. Alberta first used a 3 ½" wide black strip, taking ½" seams. On another, she accented the black strip with a 3 ½" gold square at the corners – using Missouri school colors.
DITTO, I USE 3.5" SASHING.

To finish the top, lay the quilt and backing on the floor, right sides together. Pin, then stitch all around, leaving a 24" opening in one of the long sides. Return the quilt to the floor. Cut the batting to the exact size and lay it on top of the quilt. (Alberta used extra loft.) With a friend, roll the quilt backing and batting from corners as tightly as possible – rolling toward the opening. Stretch the opening over the huge roll of cotton and fabric and turn your quilt right side out. Unroll it carefully, working out any bumps or wrinkles. Stitch closed.
I SAFETY-PIN THE QUILT SANDWICH (BACKING, BATTING, TOP) TOGETHER, QUILT IT, BIND IT AFTER RATHER THAN MAKING A QUILT PILLOW. IT CAN BE DIFFICULT TO GET ALL THE WRINKLES OUT FROM THE TURN-RIGHTSIDE-OUT METHOD.

For tying you can use yarn, all six strands of embroidery floss, pearl cotton, or heavy crochet thread. The quilt should be tied about every four inches in a square or surgeon's knot. Alberta tied her quilts on the wrong side, but says that tying on either side would work.
I MACHINE QUILT IT, USUALLY BY HIGHLIGHTING THE SHIRT DESIGNS AND STIPPLING THE SASHING.

------
In terms of selecting a fabric that will coordinate yet contrast with the tshirts' vibrant, bold, LARGE designs, I tend to go with a batik. Batiks are wax-resist dyed fabrics that are stunning. The colors are subtle and unique, yet blend together in an eyepleasing way.

If your shirts have a theme and you can find fabric with a similar theme, you could go with that. When my oldest graduated from hs, we didn't realize how many tshirts she had from clubs, sports, Scouts and other ECs. We ended up making 2 quilts. The first quilt had 16 shirts that were purchased at specific competitions of her sport. A couple of months before, I happened to find a novelty fabric depicting women competing in her sport and luckily I had bought enough. The much larger quilt had 30 shirts and used a batik that incorporated slightly paler shades of her high school colors.

Last edited by alum; 01-15-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOQTII
Awesome thank you Beryana for that link and alum for the directions!! I really appreciate it!!!