GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Theta > Theta Nu Xi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,574
3 members and 1,571 guests
mlanderson, naraht
Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
foundamentially and superfacially. that's awesome.
Ah yes, superfacials for all. Always better than regular facials.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-29-2008, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Those hoes need to be stopped.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Those hoes need to be stopped.
I don't think it can be said any better than this.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Why is it that everytime I look at their Greek letters, it reminds me of "phone"?
Old 05-29-2008, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

berkeleylatina seems weird as hell!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:48 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Then she'd be a perfect fit for the copycats!!!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
No need to be rude now.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:13 PM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylatina View Post
No need to be rude now.
Ha! Welcome to Greekchat! Bring all your friends!
Old 05-29-2008, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
actually, don't bring all of them.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
::sits down with snacks and a blanket:: Oh snap!
Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Symbol:Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

taken from: http://www.thetanuxi.org/who_facts.htm

Its still different from just saying the mascot is simply a butterfly.

Honestly, if you take a long, hard look the only super noticable similarity is the symbols. Please look at the values of both sororities.

Theta Nu Xi:
  • To incorporate separate cultures into one life
  • To build self-esteem through sisterhood
  • To participate in service activities, especially those concerning diversity in the community
  • To encourage academic excellence and overall self-improvement
  • To promote unity among Greek organizations
Phi Nu Xi:
  • Multiculturalism which goes beyond recognizing the plurality of race
  • Social bonding
  • Academic excellence
  • Promote Dialogue which helps facilitate understanding and growth
  • Womyn Empowerment
  • Leadership
  • political awareness
Not to nitpick and sound snyde......but I see two huge difference right off the bat. Phi Nu Xi is very focused on developing leaders and promoting political awareness among the sisters. Many are very involved in different areas on campus that allow them to participates in political forums and may even organize rallies for various causes which include worker rights and for the cause of a multicultural center at UC Berkeley. Political awareness is very important to Phi Nu Xi and it really defines us as a sisterhood.

Is that the same for theta nu xi? If not, then it doesn't seem like we're the same. Many sisters also work for recruitment and retention centers on campus. That takes political awareness along with multiculturalism to a new level. I'm doing work for NARRC next semester which is the native american recruitment and retention, another works for Bridges, another for Raza which is a chicano/latino recruitment and retention center another works for the BRRC which is the black recruitment and retention center and others work for Let's Rise. We bring all the different cultures into our sisterhood and we learn from each other and lean on each other for support in our different communities. We don't just say we're multicultural and put on events....we are multicultural. We live and breath it honestly.

Does Theta Nu Xi do that? Again I don't want to be rude because I'm simply trying to point out honest differences.

If you want to be super anal, I could point out that many sororities sound similar....at least to me. Many have the tenet of sisterhood, many have the tenet of academic excellence which is why there are gpa requirements, and all have service aspects. The only thing that I'm noticing that makes theta nu xi different from a panhellenic is the multicultural aspect.

Why are we worrying about simple similarities when we should all support each other anyways? What's the use of tearing everyone down around you? Does it make you better? More important? I'm sorry but it doesn't. There are far more important things in the world then worrying about another organization which is, I'm sorry to say, different from you.

why on earth would you call another organization "hoes?" That's really uncalled for and extremely unclassy. Have you thought of speaking to any sister instead of assuming someone is biting your "style?"

Last edited by XiButterfly; 05-30-2008 at 04:47 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylatina View Post
No need to be rude now.
No need to put YOUR business on a blog for people to comment on your weirdness, twit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiButterfly View Post
Symbol:Tiger Swallowtail Butterfly

taken from: http://www.thetanuxi.org/who_facts.htm

Its still different from just saying the mascot is simply a butterfly.

Honestly, if you take a long, hard look the only super noticable similarity is the symbols. Please look at the values of both sororities.

Theta Nu Xi:
  • To incorporate separate cultures into one life
  • To build self-esteem through sisterhood
  • To participate in service activities, especially those concerning diversity in the community
  • To encourage academic excellence and overall self-improvement
  • To promote unity among Greek organizations
Phi Nu Xi:
  • Multiculturalism which goes beyond recognizing the plurality of race
  • Social bonding
  • Academic excellence
  • Promote Dialogue which helps facilitate understanding and growth
  • Womyn Empowerment
  • Leadership
  • political awareness
Not to nitpick and sound snyde......but I see two huge difference right off the bat. Phi Nu Xi is very focused on developing leaders and promoting political awareness among the sisters. Many are very involved in different areas on campus that allow them to participates in political forums and may even organize rallies for various causes which include worker rights and for the cause of a multicultural center at UC Berkeley. Political awareness is very important to Phi Nu Xi and it really defines us as a sisterhood.

Is that the same for theta nu xi? If not, then it doesn't seem like we're the same. Many sisters also work for recruitment and retention centers on campus. That takes political awareness along with multiculturalism to a new level. I'm doing work for NARRC next semester which is the native american recruitment and retention, another works for Bridges, another for Raza which is a chicano/latino recruitment and retention center another works for the BRRC which is the black recruitment and retention center and others work for Let's Rise. We bring all the different cultures into our sisterhood and we learn from each other and lean on each other for support in our different communities. We don't just say we're multicultural and put on events....we are multicultural. We live and breath it honestly.

Does Theta Nu Xi do that? Again I don't want to be rude because I'm simply trying to point out honest differences.

If you want to be super anal, I could point out that many sororities sound similar....at least to me. Many have the tenet of sisterhood, many have the tenet of academic excellence which is why there are gpa requirements, and all have service aspects. The only thing that I'm noticing that makes theta nu xi different from a panhellenic is the multicultural aspect.

Why are we worrying about simple similarities when we should all support each other anyways? What's the use of tearing everyone down around you? Does it make you better? More important? I'm sorry but it doesn't. There are far more important things in the world then worrying about another organization which is, I'm sorry to say, different from you.

why on earth would you call another organization "hoes?" That's really uncalled for and extremely unclassy. Have you thought of speaking to any sister instead of assuming someone is biting your "style?"
First, because you're hoes.
Second, your founders are thieves.
Third, shut up.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:24 AM
GreekChat Member

So if I create Epsilon Kappa and make sure it uses a turtledove... I'm not copying?

Sweet.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by XiButterfly View Post
Phi Nu Xi is very focused on developing leaders and promoting political awareness among the sisters. Many are very involved in different areas on campus that allow them to participates in political forums and may even organize rallies for various causes which include worker rights and for the cause of a multicultural center at UC Berkeley. Political awareness is very important to Phi Nu Xi and it really defines us as a sisterhood.

Is that the same for theta nu xi?
Yep. One of our current board members was key to the early development of our political understanding and action. She is now the Deputy Director for a state democratic caucus. She lives it.

Quote:
Many sisters also work for recruitment and retention centers on campus. That takes political awareness along with multiculturalism to a new level. I'm doing work for NARRC next semester which is the native american recruitment and retention, another works for Bridges, another for Raza which is a chicano/latino recruitment and retention center another works for the BRRC which is the black recruitment and retention center and others work for Let's Rise...

...Does Theta Nu Xi do that?
Yep. Theta Nu Xi is a sorority of action. We are social in the sense that we are a general/social sorority, but our focuses are scholarship, service, sisterhood, leadership and multiculturalism.

Quote:
We bring all the different cultures into our sisterhood and we learn from each other and lean on each other for support in our different communities

We don't just say we're multicultural and put on events....we are multicultural. We live and breath it honestly.
In what way have you seen Theta Nu Xi - or any other multicultural sorority - only "say" we are multicultural and not "live and breath [sic] it"?

Quote:
The only thing that I'm noticing that makes theta nu xi different from a panhellenic is the multicultural aspect.
And this observation is from your experience with Theta Women?

Quote:
Have you thought of speaking to any sister instead of assuming someone is biting your "style?"
No assumptions. And, by the way, do you even know your organization's true history?

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.

Last edited by preciousjeni; 05-30-2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Get 'em!
Closed Thread