GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Up & Coming National GLOs

Up & Coming National GLOs This area is for discussion of issues affecting GLOs which are larger than a local, yet are still growing into a national GLO.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 942
2 members and 940 guests
LaneSig

Old 04-13-2011, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinaAlumna View Post
Yes, and it could be. For example, we see the NPC and its "Go Panhellenic"-type promotion. NALFO could do something similar.
I think that is a great idea.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I read it as "oo-oop" lol I thought there was some Delta shade and I didn't understand why

Old 04-13-2011, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Instead of "Interested in this type of organization? Here's ABC, DEF, and GHI. Take a look at them and find your fit!" NALFO came off as "Interested in this type of organization? Form your own and join us!"
doh!

In addition to what you just said, k_s, I wish NALFO would also say:

"Uh-oh--our chapters at XYZ university are struggling, and a couple are inactive. Let's help them get back on track, so that incoming students don't just start up new chapters of different LGLOs."

We need to minimize this scenario: There are 3-4 LGLOs on a campus. Two are struggling with numbers and go inactive. Instead of identifying students who are interested in bringing the struggling chapters back up, they go and found chapters of two new LGLOs, and the original two just die out.

NALFO is actually *helping* this along with its requirement that new chapters MUST be voted in on a campus so long as they meet university requirements for greeks. I would love to see NALFO say, "Hold up. Let's do what we can to *retain* our current chapters at each university *before* requiring the local NALFO council to expand."
Old 04-13-2011, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

I can see what you mean. However, if those people are interested in another NALFO org why would NALFO want to prevent that. It would likely have objections from the organization/s attempting to colonize. Also it's unlikely that if a group is interested in another organization, will pledge a dead chapter just due to not being able to pledge an organization they were actually interested in. And if they did do mind you they will always have in there head that they wanted to b a part of something different and this was there 2nd or 3rd choice.

Last edited by Monarca7; 04-13-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarca7 View Post
I can see what you mean. However, if those people are interested in another NALFO org why would NALFO want to prevent that. It would likely have objections from the organization/s attempting to colonize. Also it's unlikely that if a group is interested in another organization, will pledge a dead chapter just due to not being able to pledge an organization they were actually interested in. And if they did do mind you they will always have in there head that they wanted to b a part of something different and this was there 2nd or 3rd choice.
You're right--NALFO would not want to prevent the opening of a new chapter, which is why the requirement is in place now. At the same time, the board should know that by requiring its member orgs to be so inclusive, there are going to be campuses with multiple sororities/fraternities competing for an already small pool of potential applicants. If NALFO is going to support expansion of new chapters, it should also do something to support retention of existing chapters. There was a reason that NALFO chapters were not voting in new members locally--because it would pull away from their own efforts to keep their chapters going with new members. Since NALFO decided to involve itself and create a requirement, it should have addressed both sides of the coin.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're right--NALFO would not want to prevent the opening of a new chapter, which is why the requirement is in place now. At the same time, the board should know that by requiring its member orgs to be so inclusive, there are going to be campuses with multiple sororities/fraternities competing for an already small pool of potential applicants. If NALFO is going to support expansion of new chapters, it should also do something to support retention of existing chapters. There was a reason that NALFO chapters were not voting in new members locally--because it would pull away from their own efforts to keep their chapters going with new members. Since NALFO decided to involve itself and create a requirement, it should have addressed both sides of the coin.
I see what you mean. What would that requirement look like ? A waiting period for new chapters? Interest have to attend interest meetings for the defunct organization? Defunct organization must be allowed to participate in "Meet the greeks" type functions? Just some ideas. I doubt the "vote in" requirement is going to go because at a national level this is viewed as positive by most of the NALFO orgs because they can easily see them selves on the expansion level and less on the retention level.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I see what you mean. What would that requirement look like ? A waiting period for new chapters? Interest have to attend interest meetings for the defunct organization? Defunct organization must be allowed to participate in "Meet the greeks" type functions? Just some ideas. I doubt the "vote in" requirement is going to go because at a national level this is viewed as positive by most of the NALFO orgs because they can easily see them selves on the expansion level and less on the retention level.
I'm not so sure that retention efforts would come in the form of an actual requirement, but perhaps there is some way that NALFO could offer support to local councils if more than one NALFO org is struggling. If you have 4 fraternities and only one of them is dying out, then I wouldn't say that NALFO should assist because it is likely due to something that particular organization is or is not doing. However, I know of some campuses that had a thriving LGLO population a few years ago, but now numbers are dwindling for the majority of the chapters. In that case, perhaps NALFO can sponsor a campus event to promote the whole council (without taking away from any efforts to bring a new NALFO org onto campus). Just some thoughts.

My feeling is that *all* NALFO orgs. should be thinking about retention of chapters immediately. How many new chapters of NALFO orgs have we all seen that consist of 3-5 chapter founders that are going to graduate within 1-2 years? Happens every day, and this is not a good recipe for longevity. How many chapters can say for sure that they are not at risk of dying out? All it takes is a huge graduating class + a couple of 1-2 person lines (or a line that completely drops) and now a once thriving chapter is at risk. At the very least, NALFO can provide workshops or sessions at the national meetings to address this universal topic, if not work with the national boards of the member orgs. to do more.

BTW, I am really enjoying this discussion. Thanks, guys!
Old 04-13-2011, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Lane swerve, as I'm finding this fascinating.

What do local councils typically do? My experience with local panhellenic councils is that recruitment is the most important thing they do, and secondary activities are greek week and ratting each other out.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

My alma mater had a local MGC (not NALFO).

The group hosted events that (for the most part) tried to promote its member organizations (social, service, civic, etc). The council was also self-governing, so infractions could be dealt with by those "in the know" as opposed to Dean OutOfTheLoop.

Our MGC also helped with coordinating member organizations' major events (ex. ODPhi Week shouldn't run at the same as SLG Walk For Awareness). There was some overlap with smaller events, but the council helped separate major events.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
BTW, I am really enjoying this discussion. Thanks, guys!
Me too
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
I see what you mean. What would that requirement look like ? A waiting period for new chapters? Interest have to attend interest meetings for the defunct organization? Defunct organization must be allowed to participate in "Meet the greeks" type functions?
It would be interesting to see how campuses would react to increased intervention by a national council. As it is, campus administrators tend to do things their own way, which usually means following an established process and the process will vary drastically from campus to campus.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

^I think in the case of LGLOs, many campuses might welcome participation (or at least increased visibility) of the current umbrella council. I get the feeling that some greek life advisors are still worried that LGLOs just run amok without any guidance or structure. In fact, just two years ago, the greek life advisor where I am employed actually called me up with questions because she heard that I am a LGLO alum, and she was freaked out that groups might be hazing and didn't know what to do.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
In fact, just two years ago, the greek life advisor where I am employed actually called me up with questions because she heard that I am a LGLO alum, and she was freaked out that groups might be hazing and didn't know what to do.
You're just getting it every which way! The story about the other Greek Life person who straight out told you no physical hazing... a mess.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Yep, I know.

LGLOs = so misunderstood.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yep, I know.

LGLOs = so misunderstood.

MCGLOs get it too, so I feel you.