GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,446
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, ageldarkz5086
» Online Users: 1,574
2 members and 1,572 guests
mlanderson

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

Oh, did I ever get that in Hawaii.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2012, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

We moved from West Virginia to Denver when I was seven. I think I spent the first 1 1/2 years there repeating the words "Pie", "Hi", "Sky" basically anything with a long i sound because that's what everyone asked me to do. I was beginning to think I was a parrot.

When I moved to Oregon at 18, everyone my freshman year of college would ask "Are you from Texas?" apparently believing the only state that produces a southern accent or some semblance of it is Texas....and I didn't even HAVE a southern accent (it's hillbilly, thank you very much and a very worn off hillbilly at that).

Sometimes they would look at me quizzically and ask "Where are you from?" Just to throw them I'd say, "Denver" and wait for them to get confused. Then I'd say, "Well, I'm from the south end of Denver."

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-25-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I've now lived in the South for almost 1/3 of my life, but I was raised in Central Illinois. Down here, I sound like a Yankee to natives, back in my hometown they tease me about my southern accent.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:51 PM
GreekChat Member

We were back in WVa visiting family and my MIL said that the school where she worked was having a retirement party for "Grace" who was going to be moving back to N. Carolina where she was from. MIL says, "We LOVE her. She's so sweet and she has the cutest accent." I point out to MIL that she also has an accent. She replies, "Oh, but not THAT kind of an accent. Grace really has an accent." .

Strangely, my nieces who have spent their entire lives in Cary, N. Carolina don't have a trace of an accent. They sound like news anchors.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOmom View Post
Strangely, my nieces who have spent their entire lives in Cary, N. Carolina don't have a trace of an accent. They sound like news anchors.
Hardly anybody in Cary (aka "Containment Area for Relocated Yankess") has an accent unless they're at least 50+. But go just a few miles to Garner, Knightdale or parts of "Rawleigh" and it's a whole 'nother story.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
Hardly anybody in Cary (aka "Containment Area for Relocated Yankess") has an accent unless they're at least 50+. But go just a few miles to Garner, Knightdale or parts of "Rawleigh" and it's a whole 'nother story.
Charlotte's not necessarily thick with southern accents, but most of my.coworkers are native South Carolinians, so I blame them for my accent.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Charlotte's not necessarily thick with southern accents . . . .
Well, there is Myers Park.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, there is Myers Park.
Well, yeah...if you're into that old money Southern Belle thing.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as accents go, I'm so happy to be among my people, curse words and all.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Yeah, I asked my BIL and SIL (who both have WVa accents) about it (BIL teaches at Cary High) and that was what they told me - very few people in Cary are actually from N Carolina or the South for that matter, so they didn't really hear many southern accents.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
I've now lived in the South for almost 1/3 of my life, but I was raised in Central Illinois. Down here, I sound like a Yankee to natives, back in my hometown they tease me about my southern accent.
I get this too! I lived in New York State, came to Georgia to attend college, and ended up staying.

PS I knew that the kitchen chapter reference was tongue-in-cheek. I just had not heard the term before.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absisca View Post
Everyone talks about how Sorority girls are snooty, trashy, uptight, crazy partiers, bitches, ect.
I want to know what its REALLY like before I rush. Straight up honesty. I want to go to Washington State University.
What do you think?
One of the hazing stories I've heard is having to eat three bowls of lentil chili, put on white satin pants, then play Twister with a fraternity. There is one chapter that makes each pledge eat a 30 oz wheel of Crimson Fire, without crackers.

The worst hazing is called The Scottish Play. The girls stay in a room until a buffet of dishes made with lentils, eggs, mushrooms, cabbage, and cheese is finished. Then they have them put on their bathing suits and get into a fraternity's pool. They chant "Double, double, toil and trouble; fire burn and cauldron bubble." until a girl makes the cauldron bubble. That girl gets the pledge name Hecate.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^Now that you mention it, I think daughter knew Hecate '07.

I have to say the most horrific part of your story is the lentil chili. Lentils are a sacred business in the Palouse and should never be used in such a despicable way by mean, witchy sorority girls. That alone should have gotten them kicked off campus and out of eastern Washington altogether. Daughter's first cheerleading duty at WSU was marching in the nationally famous Pullman Lentil Parade. Her FB status that day read, "I can't believe I'm marching in a parade for a bean."

By the way, since I've heard non-stop praise for Cougar cheese from every corner - does being forced to eat a 30 oz wheel of Crimson fire fall into the hazing category or the gift category?

Last edited by AXOmom; 07-26-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ gift category, definitely.

I have a 30 oz wheel of Crimson Fire in my refrigerator. I am not sharing. Cannot wait for the weather to cool down so Cougar Cheese will ship to AZ again. Best damned cheese I've eaten in a very long time. Whoever on GC turned me on to it: thank you.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^ I feel your pain. I am stocking up as well. Really jonesing for some of the Cougar Gold. Sigh... if I had one thing to do over today, it would be to order Cougar Cheese when I have the chance.

Don't get me started on Rustic Caramels. Those are to die for.

Okay, back to the topic of awful sorority girls. *yawn*
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity