GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5

Old 02-19-2013, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
This. It's just tradition now and changing to a system without recs would be as likely as SEC chapters giving up their tailgating spots on gameday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Well, now you're just talking crazy.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2013, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

[QUOTE=DubaiSis;2204311]My biggest problem with the "recs required" systems is it is patently unfair to anyone who grew up outside the south, and since students are traveling all across the US (and worldwide) to go to school, this seems like a step to limit the chances or increase the stress factor for the girl who isn't from a large'ish southern city who's mom wasn't a socialite. QUOTE]

My daugther was the northern girl. She grew up in the way north, in a non-greek family, and with very little influence from friends who joined the greek community. She chose to attend a southern school with a very active greek life. She was entering recruitment as a sophomore, as she studied abroad her freshman year and was coming to campus for the first time to live. She has a very high GPA and is an attractive girl with a good resume.

We were oblivious to the process. She went through recruitment this past fall with one "known" rec submitted and it came from a close family friend and was beautifully written. We had NO idea what was truly necessary. Once she started the recruitment process, she was shocked and concerned as she learned that she needed a 'rec' from every sorority in order to be invited back, and to ultimately recieve a bid. The school is apparently known for this. In fact, it was apparent that these girls prepare for and look forward to this week for a very long time. The good news is, she was invited back to everyone of her picks, each day with a full schedule, with the exception of one (which happened to be where her letter of rec came from). We have since been told that while she did not submit letters, that the sororities may have, very well, obtained recs for her. She obtained a bid from a top tier sorority on campus.

She is so happy with her sorority and understands that she was fortunate. I guess this is the Cinderella story of an northern girl without a req., but if she did, indeed, have letters written for her that were requested by the sorority, how much do these letters truly mean?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

[QUOTE=FSUMAMA;2206569]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
My biggest problem with the "recs required" systems is it is patently unfair to anyone who grew up outside the south, and since students are traveling all across the US (and worldwide) to go to school, this seems like a step to limit the chances or increase the stress factor for the girl who isn't from a large'ish southern city who's mom wasn't a socialite. QUOTE]

My daugther was the northern girl. She grew up in the way north, in a non-greek family, and with very little influence from friends who joined the greek community. She chose to attend a southern school with a very active greek life. She was entering recruitment as a sophomore, as she studied abroad her freshman year and was coming to campus for the first time to live. She has a very high GPA and is an attractive girl with a good resume.

We were oblivious to the process. She went through recruitment this past fall with one "known" rec submitted and it came from a close family friend and was beautifully written. We had NO idea what was truly necessary. Once she started the recruitment process, she was shocked and concerned as she learned that she needed a 'rec' from every sorority in order to be invited back, and to ultimately recieve a bid. The school is apparently known for this. In fact, it was apparent that these girls prepare for and look forward to this week for a very long time. The good news is, she was invited back to everyone of her picks, each day with a full schedule, with the exception of one (which happened to be where her letter of rec came from). We have since been told that while she did not submit letters, that the sororities may have, very well, obtained recs for her. She obtained a bid from a top tier sorority on campus.

She is so happy with her sorority and understands that she was fortunate. I guess this is the Cinderella story of an northern girl without a req., but if she did, indeed, have letters written for her that were requested by the sorority, how much do these letters truly mean?

My guess is that you truly have one special snowflake if she got a "top tier" bid as a sophomore with no recs at FSU.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMAMA View Post
I guess this is the Cinderella story of an northern girl without a req., but if she did, indeed, have letters written for her that were requested by the sorority, how much do these letters truly mean?
Our point and the reason that we try so hard to get girls to get recs on their own is that this could have turned out completely differently for your daughter. Had the chapters NOT been able to get a rec for her, had they run out of time, had it been easier for them to find recs on OTHER girls, etc., then your daughter could have easily gone bidless. Better to keep as much of the process in your own hands than leave it to others to do the work.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Our point and the reason that we try so hard to get girls to get recs on their own is that this could have turned out completely differently for your daughter. Had the chapters NOT been able to get a rec for her, had they run out of time, had it been easier for them to find recs on OTHER girls, etc., then your daughter could have easily gone bidless. Better to keep as much of the process in your own hands than leave it to others to do the work.
I understand what you are saying. As I said, we were oblivious to the entire process and had no idea. She did not come there with the attitude that she didn't need them, she just didn't know, as she was from the north and living in another country her first year (which, even if she did know, would have been close to impossible to contact people for letters). We now know what is necessary and we also know that she was fortunate to get into her sorority. You'll be happy to know... she is a Theta. I have another daughter going through recruitment this next year. Believe me, she will have letters. We understand the process now. In addition, this forum has opened our eyes to a lot of the process... wish we had found it earlier. It is very useful.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM
GreekChat Member

You are right... I am thrilled to hear that she is a Theta So glad that it worked out well for her and she is happy!
Old 03-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

FSUMAMA, Congratulations on your daughter's bid.

I do want to stress to future FSU PNMs that your daughter's success without recommendations is extremely rare and that they should make every effort to secure recommendations to every chapter at FSU.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh for the love of Mike!

PNMs: just get recs. Do not think twice, do not argue, do not whine, just get them.

Why? Because, in the process of doing so, PNMs learn all sorts of other things about GLO membership, and are better prepared for recruitment. And, I hope that they also learn that GLO membership goes far beyond three or four parties (and a lot of useless tier/tent talk).
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 03-06-2013, 10:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to be clear, my question (OP) was not whether PNMs should obtain recs for schools on the must-have-recs list, but why as alums (at some schools) we insist on it:

I guess my actual question is . . . if chapters at schools outside of the must-have-recs list are able to recruit wonderful pledge classes full of accomplished and felony-free young women, are alum-generated and endorsed recs really necessary? Or do we just do this because we have always done things this way?

If any PNM who will be attending one of these schools is reading -- by all means, gather recs for each chapter. And get started now (if you haven't already)!
Old 03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
GreekChat Member

I think you've hit the nail on the head. You do it because you've always done it and 1 rec has become 2 and 3 required just because more has to be used to distinguish one from another. I think it's just silly. I wish we could change the rules so recs don't add points (or whatever the method is for giving recs weight during MS) and are used only to introduce a special girl to a chapter and not just checking off a box. I wish a fraction of the effort used in processing recs was directed toward more face time between rushers and rushees.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:50 AM
GreekChat Member

For some groups, it's national policy to have a rec on every PNM pledged. So for them, it may be just checking a box but not checking could get you sanctions by your organization. What do you do about those groups?
Old 03-07-2013, 08:12 AM
GreekChat Member

My chapter's recruitment already takes 10 days from move in to Bid Day. Rec letters help us to take a chance on an out of state girl or someone that no one knows ahead of time. Otherwise - I think our alternative would be to only take girls that are legacies or those with whom the chapter women have a prior relationship. I cant think of how else to do some prescreening on 1200-1400 women.
The other chapter I was at - recruiment was later, in October, and only 800 women went through, but there was a MUCH higher recruitment drop out rate.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 AM
GreekChat Member

At the end of the day - given the choice of two groups that are both great at the university, isn't it better to have alum connections to go home to? If you really are OOS and cant find a soul around to write a note about you, wouldnt it be better to go with the group that is established in your area? Presumably, that likes you enough to help get your foot in the door?

Not having rec letters for every chapter wont prevent you from getting a bid, it just means you might not get as many invites in the early rounds.
Again, you only need one

Last edited by HQWest; 03-07-2013 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think you've hit the nail on the head. You do it because you've always done it and 1 rec has become 2 and 3 required just because more has to be used to distinguish one from another. I think it's just silly. I wish we could change the rules so recs don't add points (or whatever the method is for giving recs weight during MS) and are used only to introduce a special girl to a chapter and not just checking off a box. I wish a fraction of the effort used in processing recs was directed toward more face time between rushers and rushees.
A journey begins with one step. Perhaps you can begin by lobbying your sorority to not allow alumnae to write recommendations.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I wish a fraction of the effort used in processing recs was directed toward more face time between rushers and rushees.
The economies of scale are just not going to let this happen. There are far too many PNMs at these schools and recruitment already runs a week - and before school starts in many cases. How do you convince the PNMs to go two weeks ahead of school start? How do you get the members and alums there 3 weeks before school starts? How do you fund the cost of these events? The longer the party the more "whatever" you need to put them on - not only in terms of hard costs (running the a/s longer, more food,etc) but manpower. It's hard enough to get a sufficient number of alums to take vacation from work to come staff a week of work week before recruitment and recruitment week itself. I just cannot imagine what adding time to rounds at Alabama would precipitate. The scope already boggles the mind - and taxes the body.