GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,723
1 members and 1,722 guests
bjenzdarka5720

Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Didn't get invites, what are my options?

Last edited by utcutie315; 09-03-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
GreekChat Member

First a couple of questions:

1) What year are you in school? How many years do you have left at UT-C? Did you transfer, or did you not rush your first two years? And if you did transfer why didn't you rush at your old school? And if you didn't transfer...i.e., you're a freshman...when did you finish high school, and why are you just starting college now? There are perfectly reasonable answers to these questions, but they are questions sororities probably wondered about.
2) Are we talking about a high school or college GPA? If it isn't that high, do you have a slew of extracurricular activities and community service to make up for it? Did you do something really interesting between high school and college or in the summers?

Okay, so really your question was about your options now. Here they are:

1) Let the Panhellenic Office know that you are interested in COB/Spring Rush opportunities. Some groups may be interested in picking up a few extra members, but your age still make work against you, as may your GPA, and I am telling you to inform Panhellenic just on the off chance that an opportunity becomes available...I wouldn't get your hopes up.
2) Find other groups to join...are there any service fraternities on campus? Non-panhellenic women's groups? And what are you interested in...chances are there is a group on campus (drama, debate, music, etc.) that covers your interests in addition to providing a social outlet...and if you have some time left at UT-C, you might start your own organization if none of the ones that are left fits your needs!
3) Just get out and meet other people...a sorority may not be in the cards for you, but you still can have fun in college, go to parties, and have lots of friends!

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

You should pursue AKA and 'em.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know the typical minimum GPA for chapters on that campus. But it is not uncommon for a Panhellenic to state a minimum that is far below what the chapters actually use.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm starting my 4th year at UTC. However, I'm still considered a sophomore. I have at least 3 years left at UTC. I'm not a slacker by any means though. My mom was extremely sick my first two years and almost died twice. Thats how many times the doctors called us in to say our goodbyes. It was really hard on me and my family. I didn't take full loads and at times I couldn't be here at all. Out of it all I failed two classes but have since then replaced them. My GPA isn't the greatest but it is above what is being asked. I've been working really hard to get it that way. I waited and didn't pursue so that I could give it my all and be a part of a sorority. I know it takes time and I wouldn't have been able to dedicate my time before now. I have talked to my Pi Chi (Rho Chi) and she knows I'm still interested. Snap Bids were mentioned to me yet I do not know how that works. I really really wanted this and was really disappointed when I got the news. I just hope its not to late for me.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

The GPA that is required to RUSH is a 2.5. And each sorority has there different GPA for initiation.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

OK. But new member periods are only about 6 weeks long. So unless a semester/term ends in the middle of a new member period, the minimum GPA to initiate will be the same as the minimum to bid.

All GLOs have a minimum GPA required for new members and actives. On the campus I advise we are committed to academic excellence. Plus recruitment competition is ridiculously fierce. My chapter has set our minimums far above what our own Inatl requires. Again, I have no idea what it's like on this particular campus.

I'm just saying that Panhellenics too often set their minimum GPA for a PNM to participate in Recruitment below what the chapters are actually looking for. In my book it's equivalent to telling PNMs that Recs aren't required and/or chapters will obtain them for a PNM, when in reality chapters cut those who don't have them.

Last edited by Zillini; 08-22-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

So what are my options? Will I be able to be in a sorority or is it looking pretty slim for me? I really wanted this. There were a few snap bids handed out last year. hopefully I will receive one this year, if not what other options are there?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:26 AM

That pretty much is the option. Just stay in touch w/ your Rho Chi and let her know you're interested.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by utcutie315 View Post
So what are my options? Will I be able to be in a sorority or is it looking pretty slim for me? I really wanted this. There were a few snap bids handed out last year. hopefully I will receive one this year, if not what other options are there?
Work on your grades (I know, easy for me to say), and let the Greek office know that you're open to COR both this term and next term. There could be an opening that an improved GPA will allow you to grab!
Old 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM
GreekChat Member

First, work on making yourself more marketable to the chapters. Raise your grades and get involved in other campus activities.

Next, having gone through recruitment, I feel that you can make a pretty informed decision as to the chapters you will fit in with and those that you won't. Be sure to keep in close contact with the recruitment chairs for the chapters that you like so that you might participate in COB/COR if it is available.

Finally, there is nothing keeping you from trying formal recruitment again next year. If you make yourself more marketable and have contacts within the Greek community, this should improve (notice I didn't say guarantee) your chances eventually.

I can't speak for your campus but age might not be a factor if you don't act older than the other PNMs. In the future, I'd focus on your class standing and not your age.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a general FYI:

The number of potential snap bids available is limited to the number of chapters that did not make quota and how many they missed quota by. The number of potential COR opportunities available will be limited to those chapters that are below Chapter Total and by how many under Total they are.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zillini View Post
Just a general FYI:

The number of potential snap bids available is limited to the number of chapters that did not make quota and how many they missed quota by. The number of potential COR opportunities available will be limited to those chapters that are below Chapter Total and by how many under Total they are.
Plus, it's not likely the OP would receive a snap bid. Snap bids are usually made to girls who dropped a house or dropped out of recruitment; the OP was dropped by all houses halfway through.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
The number of rushees (read: PNMs) is up this year at UT-Chattanooga. There are 4 sororities (Chi Omega, ADPi, KD & Sigma Kappa) and over 400 women rushing.

I'm not sure what total is, but if quota is higher than ever, there might not be as many spots for chapters who traditionally are under panhellenic total/limitation.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

There was only 367 girls sign up for recruitment this year. And after the first night they new of at least 70 that quit/didn't show up at all. Thats not counting the ones that were dropped. I'm prepaired for the worst but I'm also prepaired to do whatever I have to next time or later to join the greek community. Its something that I really want and maybe one day I can be a part of that. Thanks so much guys. You have helped me a lot.