GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,453
3 members and 2,450 guests
navane, Xidelt

Old 07-27-2012, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitashort View Post
Well maybe that one place is that place. I wouldn't be able to say unless I knew if it was the same school or not. Again I don't understand why this is going off topic.

Anyways..If anybody has had the experiences I am speaking of in terms of living in a dorm vs being in a sorority house please let me know. Thank you.
Everyone points at and laughs at the ones who don't live in the house. They aren't considered real sisters.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-27-2012, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Row View Post
All of these awesome sorority girls you know in real life should be able to answer your lame questions. You don't need the Greek Chat know nothings to answer them.
Lol. Okay Old_Row.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well maybe that one place is that place. I wouldn't be able to say unless I knew if it was the same school or not. Again I don't understand why this is going off topic.

Anyways..If anybody has had the experiences I am speaking of in terms of living in a dorm vs being in a sorority house please let me know. Thank you.
Yeah, you said your old school was like this, and unless you're at Tufts, you can be released from recruitment. By the bolded, I'm doubting you are.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yeah, you said your old school was like this, and unless you're at Tufts, you can be released from recruitment. By the bolded, I'm doubting you are.
Hahaha. Okay. Bye then. Thanks for stopping by my thread!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

There are too many variables for us to answer this not knowing your campus. Does the house 100 or 10? Is there full meal service or catering only for certain meals? Is the house on campus or off? Etc, etc etc....
Old 07-27-2012, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Hahaha. Okay. Bye then.
So, you admit you aren't at Tufts, which is the only school with guarranteed placement. You may have misunderstood these sorority members you talked to about recruitment. Go talk to the Greek Life Adviser and ask if anyone goes bidless. I guarantee you that every year a handful do. Unfortunately. Some are released by the chapters, some release themselves if they don't get the chapter they want and some don't get a bid because they don't maximize their options and list all their chapters from prefs. Only Tufts lets you go back to parties after being completely cut or makes some chapter take a girl no one wants. Did you really ask you 5 friends who know all the ins and out of recruitment about that? Lots of times girls in chapters have no idea that a couple girls that went through were completely released, so those 5 people are not who you should base your confidence around. Go in better educated and play the game bc you are coming across as very ignorant about the whole process...and most unwilling to take advice.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
There are too many variables for us to answer this not knowing your campus. Does the house 100 or 10? Is there full meal service or catering only for certain meals? Is the house on campus or off? Etc, etc etc....
The ones at my current school are off campus and all include chefs.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Old 07-27-2012, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
So, you admit you aren't at Tufts, which is the only school with guarranteed placement. You may have misunderstood these sorority members you talked to about recruitment. Go talk to the Greek Life Adviser and ask if anyone goes bidless. I guarantee you that every year a handful do. Unfortunately. Some are released by the chapters, some release themselves if they don't get the chapter they want and some don't get a bid because they don't maximize their options and list all their chapters from prefs. Only Tufts lets you go back to parties after being completely cut or makes some chapter take a girl no one wants. Did you really ask you 5 friends who know all the ins and out of recruitment about that? Lots of times girls in chapters have no idea that a couple girls that went through were completely released, so those 5 people are not who you should base your confidence around. Go in better educated and play the game bc you are coming across as very ignorant about the whole process...and most unwilling to take advice.
You are absolutely right I personally do not know every aspect of the recruitment process, I just go by what I have seen and what others in the sorority have told me. Maybe they were mistaken and missed something as you suggested, but I was going by what they told me. I only seem ignorant because I am not stressing and worried about getting in, and that is something nobody should worry about. If I don't get in, I'll move on, but I know my chances are pretty good. It isn't wrong to just want to prepare financially anyway and think about the living aspect. In all honesty would you want to be in a sorority if you didn't feel you bonded with your sisters? Bonding I would think is a very huge aspect of a sorority and that is the main thing I would like to get out of it. Being close with sisters. That was my reasoning for the "lame" question. Something most people coming into something new like this worry about, but usually never speak on.

Last edited by Vitashort; 07-27-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
Oh you go ahead shaq!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are absolutely right I personally do not know every aspect of the recruitment process, I just go by what I have seen and what others in the sorority have told me. Maybe they were mistaken and missed something as you suggested, but I was going by what they told me. I only seem ignorant because I am not stressing and worried about getting in, and that is something nobody should worry about. If I don't get in, I'll move on, but I know my chances are pretty good. It isn't wrong to just want to prepare financially anyway and think about the living aspect. In all honesty would you want to be in a sorority if you didn't feel you bonded with your sisters? Bonding I would think is a very huge aspect of a sorority and that is the main thing I would like to get out of it. Being close with sisters. That was my reasoning for the "lame" question. Something most people coming into something new like this worry about, but usually never speak on.
Then your question has been answered. Some people live in, some people don't, and some chapters don't even have houses. Living with someone doesn't automatically bond you to them, and not living in a house doesn't mean that you'll never have a bond with anyone. And everyone's experience is different.

Move on.

@~/~~~~
Old 07-27-2012, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Then your question has been answered. Some people live in, some people don't, and some chapters don't even have houses. Living with someone doesn't automatically bond you to them, and not living in a house doesn't mean that you'll never have a bond with anyone. And everyone's experience is different.

Move on.
Yes, it was answered and I've moved on since it was. Now I would like others to move on from going off topic about whether or not I get a bid since that wasn't my question. Thank you.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are absoliutely right I personally do not know every aspect of the recruitment process, I just go by what I have seen and what others in the sorority have told me. Maybe they were mistaken and missed something as you suggested, but I was going by what they told me. I only seem ignorant because I am not stressing and worried about getting in, and that is something nobody should worry about. If I don't get in, I'll move on, but I know my chances are pretty good. It isn't wrong to just want to prepare financially anyway and think about the living aspect. In all honesty would you want to be in a sorority if you didn't feel you bonded with your sisters? Bonding I would think is a very huge aspect of a sorority and that is the main think I would like to get out of it. Being close with sisters. That was my reasoning for the "lame" question. Something most people coming into something new like this worry about, but usually never speak on.
Okay. It depends, but considering that for most chapters the majority of sisters don't live in the house, you'd probably be fine. Since you would be living on campus, you could potentially spend a lot of time at the house since you would be nearby. It's always tougher for off campus sisters to stay connected, but the effort you put in makes the difference. As Titchou pointed out, the type of housing makes a huge difference.

My point of posting the previous stuff was not to tell you that you won't get in or that you should worry, but having the right mindset and an open mind going in is so important.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Yes, it was answered and I've moved on since it was. Now I would like others to move on from going off topic about whether or not I get a bid since that wasn't my question. Thank you.
You might as well stop controlling the thread. They go where they go on GC...you have no control. The more you cry about it, the more you feed the beast.

AOII

Old 07-27-2012, 08:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Does any sorority house on your campus allow non-members to sign a contract and live-in? You may want to try that your senior year. It's a whole-other perspective from being a sorority member, but you'll still be living in a sorority house.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.