GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,928
0 members and 1,928 guests
No Members online

Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

im a little nervous

So I was just accepted at Washington state university, so I'll be headed there next fall and I really want to rush.
But my friend who is a tri delt said that a lot of houses do not take juniors. I'm only 19 (I should be a sophomore but I'm a year ahead).
there are like 14 houses there and she was saying it might be about 4 or so that would drop me immediately.
Do you think that I'll be looked down on because I'm a transfer even though I'm younger?
Should I just forget it or do you think it's possible?
Old 02-24-2009, 07:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I would just forget about what she said and go and enjoy the recruitment process. You never know what will happen. Just because a few groups may not want to take a junior doesn't mean that others won't be excited to have you. Just be sure y ou have great grades and activities on your resume.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Although your friend can probably give you some good GENERAL advice about Greek Life at Washington State University, please keep in mind that her recruitment experiences are bound to be different than yours. Instead of worrying about what your friend has told you already, ask her for some constructive advice to make your experience more enjoyable (and hopefully more successful). For example, are recommendations necessary? Are there pre-events that you can attend to introduce yourself to sorority women? You do not have control over which chapters will accept juniors so spend your time focusing on factors within your control and enjoy your experience.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Although your friend can probably give you some good GENERAL advice about Greek Life at Washington State University, please keep in mind that her recruitment experiences are bound to be different than yours. Instead of worrying about what your friend has told you already, ask her for some constructive advice to make your experience more enjoyable (and hopefully more successful). For example, are recommendations necessary? Are there pre-events that you can attend to introduce yourself to sorority women? You do not have control over which chapters will accept juniors so spend your time focusing on factors within your control and enjoy your experience.
Awesome advice! Worrying about things out of your control is a waste of time!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phisiglindsey
Your friend has NO clue of how all of these sororities will determine what new members they take. If 4 out of 14 drop you immediately because of your age, you still have chances with 10..and thats IF they drop you. Go through the process, and be yourself. Have fun and good luck!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I would not worry too much about being a junior at WSU. Its been a while since I graduated but a few years ago they had free juniors, which meant that a sorority could take as many juniors as they wanted during formal recruitment. I would suggest going to the preview day that is usually in april and visit the two sororities that you can ( that is how things worked when I was there). Have fun and really dont worry about being a junior. I didn't know which sororitities your friend is talking about, but a good percentage of women who go through recruitment get a bid.

Also, i had some friends go through who were juniors and got bids to some of the "top" sororities. good luck couggirl
Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
GreekChat Member

If you're on the westside look into the local Alumnae Panhellenics and ask everyone you know if they are sorority alumnae (or in the case of some groups, collegians) and try and get recs. Since you're a junior having recs may help you since they will know more about you and give you an opportunity beyond the basic recruitment info.

Also August is HOT in Pullman, be prepared. Also think about your living situation, freshmen live on campus for the fall, double check with the Office of Greek Life if you'll be required to live in right away if you're an upperclassman, if there's an opportunity to live in, if on campus is what you want, or if you're going to look for an off campus apartment. I'm not fully up to date on WSU housing, so if you're interested in going through recruitment ask them about living situations and requirements.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Congrats on getting accepted to Washington State! Good luck with recruitment!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 PM

I think that I have heard of juniors getting bids at Washington State. It's defintely possible.

I really would suggest going through recruitment and seeing what happens. You're new to the school and it is a good way to meet people!

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
I'm not fully up to date on WSU housing, so if you're interested in going through recruitment ask them about living situations and requirements.
Everyone use to be required to live in on campus housing when they went through rush regardless if they signed a housing contract or not. things could have changed, but this is something that you should look into. Also, the preview weekend in april will talk about this, or at least it should be a place to live.

PS. I was wrong, my friend got a bid and was a senior, still only 19 (she did running start) and got a bid to one of the "top" houses. I really would not worry too much.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-banta184 View Post
So I was just accepted at Washington state university, so I'll be headed there next fall and I really want to rush.
But my friend who is a tri delt said that a lot of houses do not take juniors. I'm only 19 (I should be a sophomore but I'm a year ahead).
there are like 14 houses there and she was saying it might be about 4 or so that would drop me immediately.
Do you think that I'll be looked down on because I'm a transfer even though I'm younger?
Should I just forget it or do you think it's possible?
We always look at age before year in school. Go through recruitment and go with an open mind. Fully participate and see what happens. You might be pleasently surprised.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
We always look at age before year in school. Go through recruitment and go with an open mind. Fully participate and see what happens. You might be pleasently surprised.
As has been mentioned several times before, please stop making sweeping generalizations about how chapters do membership selection. This may well be the way the chapter you advise does things, but you can certainly not speak for every chapter of every sorority at every school. In fact, you shouldn't even be speaking about this kind of stuff for your own chapter, unless for some reason AChiO membership selection criteria and processes are now an open book.
Old 02-27-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
As has been mentioned several times before, please stop making sweeping generalizations about how chapters do membership selection. This may well be the way the chapter you advise does things, but you can certainly not speak for every chapter of every sorority at every school. In fact, you shouldn't even be speaking about this kind of stuff for your own chapter, unless for some reason AChiO membership selection criteria and processes are now an open book.

YES.

And I know that the AChiO criterion are public info (they're listed on most chapter websites). But I think that AXOrushadvisors' posts go beyond that when she says stuff like "Oh well, we have always taken PNMs with this GPA" or "As long as a PNM has ___ we won't cut her" and such.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-27-2009, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalSquirrel View Post
If you're on the westside look into the local Alumnae Panhellenics and ask everyone you know if they are sorority alumnae (or in the case of some groups, collegians) and try and get recs. Since you're a junior having recs may help you since they will know more about you and give you an opportunity beyond the basic recruitment info.
Second that. There is one in Seattle and one in Bellevue (Overlake).
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post
In fact, you shouldn't even be speaking about this kind of stuff for your own chapter, unless for some reason AChiO membership selection criteria and processes are now an open book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
YES.

And I know that the AChiO criterion are public info (they're listed on most chapter websites). But I think that AXOrushadvisors' posts go beyond that when she says stuff like "Oh well, we have always taken PNMs with this GPA" or "As long as a PNM has ___ we won't cut her" and such.
Our "Membership Standards" are public information. The following is from the Headquarters website:

"Membership Standards
Alpha Chi Omega's five membership criteria, used to score potential new members. They include: academic interest, character, financial responsibility, leadership ability and personal development."

http://www.alphachiomega.org/about_a...sary_terms.asp

However, the interpretation of these membership standards and how they are used in Membership Selection is confidential.