GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Sigma Phi
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,556
1 members and 1,555 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 04-28-2014, 06:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Return of the Traveling Consultant?

I had a very interesting chat with International today and expressed my interest in possibly becoming a 'traveling' resource to chapters that would appreciate someone to travel to them and assist in person with chapter and council issues, helping to friendly venture new chapters and such.

This would be purely in a volunteer capacity, but its something that I am very interested in doing for the organization and Laura was more than happy to listen and suggested a contact that I get in touch with.

We shall see! I *so* hope that this will work out and there can be an additional resource to help our sisters in a new capacity.

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-29-2014, 08:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misscherrypie View Post
I had a very interesting chat with International today and expressed my interest in possibly becoming a 'traveling' resource to chapters that would appreciate someone to travel to them and assist in person with chapter and council issues, helping to friendly venture new chapters and such.

This would be purely in a volunteer capacity, but its something that I am very interested in doing for the organization and Laura was more than happy to listen and suggested a contact that I get in touch with.

We shall see! I *so* hope that this will work out and there can be an additional resource to help our sisters in a new capacity.
With some chapters on different campuses, I can't imagine why this wasn't thought of before. If Beta Sigma Phi wants to continue to expand, especially to universities, this is a good idea. Good luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

This sounds like a very worthy endeavor. I hope you get the chance. You really have made strides in BSP.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:09 PM

Would you be paying for the travel yourself or by Beta Sigma Phi? I ask because as a member, my area council has often thought of inviting our Division Chairman to conventions, etc. the problem is we would have to pick up her full tab for her travel expenses, thus why we don't invite her because we cannot afford to do so.

Did you talk about with her about the financial aspect of being a traveling consultant?
Old 04-29-2014, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

The question I always ask when discussing an idea is this: is there a demonstrated need? Has this been thoroughly investigated? From what you wrote, it's a desire that you have, not necessarily one that BSP has targeted as a need.

Truthfully, my recommendation is that you put your energies into your local area first, since you've been elected to a leadership position on your local council; and you also can focus on establishing yourself in a career post-graduation. It may be a seed that you plant that bears fruit in years to come; it may not be yours at the moment, however. This concept you have of a "traveling consultant" appears to be based on an NPC model. That's my take.

I also wanted to ask what happened with your involvement with SAEPi? I understood that you were a new member of that colony/chapter. Am I mistaken?
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 04-29-2014, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

I have and I offered to handle funding for all travel on my own. I'm looking into the details to see how this might be feasible from all angles. I'm hopeful that it will work out.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
The question I always ask when discussing an idea is this: is there a demonstrated need? Has this been thoroughly investigated? From what you wrote, it's a desire that you have, not necessarily one that BSP has targeted as a need.

Truthfully, my recommendation is that you put your energies into your local area first, since you've been elected to a leadership position on your local council; and you also can focus on establishing yourself in a career post-graduation. It may be a seed that you plant that bears fruit in years to come; it may not be yours at the moment, however. This concept you have of a "traveling consultant" appears to be based on an NPC model. That's my take.

I also wanted to ask what happened with your involvement with SAEPi? I understood that you were a new member of that colony/chapter. Am I mistaken?
There's a lot of backstory, but I've been contacted frequently by sisters in chapter across the nation after being featured a few times in our sorority magazine with questions and concerns. The organization used to have Traveling Consultants in years past, but that ceased due to financial reasons. So, there is a need. I did pitch the idea to international, so it is something that I thought of at this time, and not something that I was asked to do.
The more (and my prime) pressing concern is my starting in my career after graduation, as you suggested.

I am currently a member of the SAEPi colony, but will potentially lose that membership (that means, not being to be an Alumna) upon graduation due to specific organizational rules. It's not that I want things to end on a sad note...I really enjoy being part of SAEPi, but the situation is out of my hands. :-( I'm willing to discuss the situation via PM to those who are interested, but do not feel comfortable getting into specific detail here in this public sphere.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
There's a lot of backstory, but I've been contacted frequently by sisters in chapter across the nation after being featured a few times in our sorority magazine with questions and concerns. The organization used to have Traveling Consultants in years past, but that ceased due to financial reasons. So, there is a need. I did pitch the idea to international, so it is something that I thought of at this time, and not something that I was asked to do.
That's not the same as a demonstrated need, but I'm sure you know that already. Forgive me, but the research scientist in me comes out when analyzing challenges/ideas/problems, etc.

Quote:
The more (and my prime) pressing concern is my starting in my career after graduation, as you suggested.

I am currently a member of the SAEPi colony, but will potentially lose that membership (that means, not being to be an Alumna) upon graduation due to specific organizational rules. It's not that I want things to end on a sad note...I really enjoy being part of SAEPi, but the situation is out of my hands. :-( I'm willing to discuss the situation via PM to those who are interested, but do not feel comfortable getting into specific detail here in this public sphere.
Good luck to you as you graduate! I hope you'll be able to find employment in Reno so you can fulfill your elected role in BSP. And I don't need to know any back story or info on SAEPi, I was just confused because I was pretty sure you'd joined that colony. Neither organization is an NPC organization, and that's something to consider. But I know you already know that as well.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity

Last edited by AZTheta; 04-30-2014 at 02:15 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think any traveling consultant needs to pay for their own travel, even as a gift to the organization. There are too many potential risks and conflicts involved.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I don't think any traveling consultant needs to pay for their own travel, even as a gift to the organization. There are too many potential risks and conflicts involved.
Yes.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Many GLOs have volunteers while others have TS's who are fully paid.
If they are volunteers, who pays for expenses, and insurance on business? That would be a problem. Legal issues could come up if representing your GLO for a myrid of reasons in a sue happy world.

Many questions need tobe answered in your quest!

One thng to poing out, it is cheaper to pay some costs than hiring a full time TS! Check it out and good luck!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Your knowledge has value and should be treated as such. As opposed to being a full time employee, you could present yourself as a consultant and put in writing your requirements. Travel expenses should be the bare minimum. I would also clearly date the contract in case they start to fully appreciate your talents, so that you can adjust your requirements over time.

If you can instill in your chapters a fraction of your enthusiasm in BSP, their money will be well spent.